• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notification Audio/Vibrate glitches

barryl85

Jul 3, 2012
Larkhall, Scotland
I have my S3 set with Dew Drops as the notification tone (came with the phone).

Sometimes the full tone doesn't play you get a blip of noise and that's it, I also have my S3 set to vibrate while the tone plays and also the full vibration does not happen when the sound doesn't fully play. I have tried custom notification tones and others and different vibrate combos and no vibrate but still the issue persists.

One of my friends S3 does the exact same thing.

Its a real gripe of mine and its random when it does it and it happens quite often.

Anyone else got this annoying issue?

P.S. I'm not rooted the phone is as it came in the box.

Yep, I just found this same problem myself. Though for me, it seems like whenever the vibrate stops is when the tone stops playing. It is quite annoying. I am finding a ton of little bugs in this phone. Sometimes the full tone plays, sometimes it doesn't. I have tried multiple tones and even factory reset twice. Nothing works.

Other than that, the bugs I have found are: the keyboard causes the screen to flicker every so often (its really quick, if you blink youll miss it). Also for some reason the notification tone always plays through the speaker, even if you have headphones connected.

Reactions: barryl85
Upvote 0
Yep, I just found this same problem myself. Though for me, it seems like whenever the vibrate stops is when the tone stops playing. It is quite annoying. I am finding a ton of little bugs in this phone. Sometimes the full tone plays, sometimes it doesn't. I have tried multiple tones and even factory reset twice. Nothing works.

Other than that, the bugs I have found are: the keyboard causes the screen to flicker every so often (its really quick, if you blink youll miss it). Also for some reason the notification tone always plays through the speaker, even if you have headphones connected.

Its so annoying, I have tried to fix it myself but cant ! Definitely a software issue.

I haven't seen the screen flash issue but the second one with the earphones plugged in is annoying. I sometimes listen to music while at work and keep my phone on silent but when earphones are in and phone rings / message the notification tone will play and it is played at the volume your listening to so if the volume is up full it will ring at full volume through the external speaker.

Upvote 0
The screen flash issue is difficult to see, but once youve seen it you don't miss it. I as well always listen to music at work and for that sole reason do not like my phone to play notifications through the phones speaker. Hopefully these issues get worked out in a update but....I doubt it.

Yeah hopefully they do get updated but I haven't seen many people complaining about these issues !

Upvote 0
A quick google search and I found people complaining about the issues. Not many but the phone hasnt been released that long on all carriers. I was more worried about the notification sounds because I couldnt find anyone with that similar problem but I am actually glad i have now. I thought my phone was glitched so many times today. These forums relieve me of my worry though!

Upvote 0
A quick google search and I found people complaining about the issues. Not many but the phone hasnt been released that long on all carriers. I was more worried about the notification sounds because I couldnt find anyone with that similar problem but I am actually glad i have now. I thought my phone was glitched so many times today. These forums relieve me of my worry though!

Yeah I was hoping I wasn't the only one too !

I really hope this issue gets priority, i've missed notifications due to this, it makes me feel like I cant rely on my phone and i'm constantly checking it !

Upvote 0
I have actually turned off vibrate for notifications and it seems to be working fine now. I think it has to do with when both notification sound and vibrate being on at the same time.

Although its not the ideal solution as I prefer having Vibration+Notification I will give this a try ! Thanks for the info :)

Upvote 0
Ok tried turning off vibrate and found a new glitch...

The notification sounds stopped working all together, tried going into select a different notification and they weren't playing at all, only way I got them to come back on was to play some music through external speaker then they worked again but when receiving texts sometimes i would get the notification and sometimes it would do nothing !!!

Its starting to really annoy me now.

Upvote 0
Ok just tried something else and its so apparent that there is an issue, I will film it on my ipad later and post it up.

I am texting myself over and over and a lot of times i am getting no notification. Its very random when it works the way its suppose to.

[edit] I will only film this if I still have this handset later, going to go directly to the vodafone shop at lunchtime from work and show them this pathetic glitch.

[second edit] Just played about with it some more, the default notifications work just fine, any custom tones is where it cant handle it, this is no good !!!

Upvote 0
Guys,
I had the same problem as you. Notifications were not coming up and I was missing a lot of messages and emails.
I talked with Samsung support and got the solution for the notification glitch. I tried it and it is working well so far!
Try it out.
Go to settings and then application manager. press "all" on top of the screen. then go to the application that you are not getting its notification such as msgs, emails, Whatsapp, etc.. Let's say you start with text messages: scroll to it, then clock on it, then press "clear data". This will not erase your messages. Once you do, go to the other applications and do the same. For emails press "clear cache".

After you do all this all the notifications should be working again.

Best,
Ric.

Upvote 0
Guys,
I had the same problem as you. Notifications were not coming up and I was missing a lot of messages and emails.
I talked with Samsung support and got the solution for the notification glitch. I tried it and it is working well so far!
Try it out.
Go to settings and then application manager. press "all" on top of the screen. then go to the application that you are not getting its notification such as msgs, emails, Whatsapp, etc.. Let's say you start with text messages: scroll to it, then clock on it, then press "clear data". This will not erase your messages. Once you do, go to the other applications and do the same. For emails press "clear cache".

Best,
Ric.

Upvote 0
Guys,
Try it out.

Best,
Ric.

Ok just tried something else and its so apparent that there is an issue, I will film it on my ipad later and post it up.

I am texting myself over and over and a lot of times i am getting no notification. Its very random when it works the way its suppose to.

[edit] I will only film this if I still have this handset later, going to go directly to the vodafone shop at lunchtime from work and show them this pathetic glitch.

[second edit] Just played about with it some more, the default notifications work just fine, any custom tones is where it cant handle it, this is no good !!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones