• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nougat issues

Ever since I downloaded the new update my phone has been slow AF and I ALWAYS close my apps I hate having multiple open. That is when I found this thing called Launcher 3 opening up and that has never happened before. I gather that it is an internet launcher. Its not just the internet that is effected it's my whole phone and it freezes up when I try and do things to fast, which isn't that fast.

Ever since I downloaded the new update my phone has been slow AF and I ALWAYS close my apps I hate having multiple open. That is when I found this thing called Launcher 3 opening up and that has never happened before. I gather that it is an internet launcher. Its not just the internet that is effected it's my whole phone and it freezes up when I try and do things to fast, which isn't that fast.
1. Launcher 3 is not an internet launcher - it is the Motorola home screen app. It's the app that shows your icons, dock, etc., when you press the Home button. You can get replacement launcher apps, like Nova Prime, Action Launcher, and others, if there is a possibility that Launcher 3 is causing issues. I doubt that it is, but it may be worth a try.

2. I recommend that you stop closing apps. Android is not a desktop operating system. It is designed to be battery efficient and run background apps in a very battery conservative manner, putting them essentially into a deep freeze and restoring their state only when they come to the foreground or there is a signal to Android that there is some data that the app needs to handle. The recent apps button is not meant primarily to give you a way to close apps - that is a secondary function, generally only to be used if you know that an app is using resources that it shouldn't be (which you would find out from the battery settings page.) When you force close apps, they actually use more battery and CPU power to reestablish their state than if you just leave them alone.

3. Try restarting the phone and avoiding shutting down apps. See if that helps. If not, I would try these things:

a. Clear the cache partition. This will not lose any apps or data on your phone. See https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/108278/p/30,6720,9583 for instructions.

b. Try starting in safe mode. This is to see if there is a third party app that may be causing issues. See https://motorola-global-portal.cust...etail/a_id/112893/p/30,6720,9583/kw/safe mode for instructions and more information.

c. If you use any of these apps: Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat - try uninstalling and reinstalling the apps. See if that helps. It may not, but it's worth a try; they use and store a lot of cached data.

If none of those three help, it may be time to do a Factory Data Reset (FDR) and reinstall everything from scratch. You will want to make sure that any photos and videos are backed up from your phone, if any; that you either sync your contacts and calendars with an online service or that you make back ups that you copy off of the phone; and maybe make some screenshots of your home screens and app drawer so that you can set everything up after the reset. A FDR will erase all of the apps and data on your phone, but will also allow you to restart from scratch, eliminating any potential data corruption that might be causing your performance issues.

Upvote 0
... I agree totally.

The issue you describe is almost always due to the fact that a Wipe Cache Partitions is needed. This is an area where temporary files are stored. The files are deleted when space is needed . There are a LOT of them after a system upgrade.

The only possible impact is if you are a game user and have a very old game that maintains a progress count from one session to the next. Very old games stored that information in the Cache Partition by mistake and it will be deleted with the Wipe Cache Partition.

I have had no performance problems with 7.0 and did a Wipe Cache Partition right after the install (I actually do one every Saturday it is almost instantaneous on the Turbo 2). I always did a Factory Data Reset after a major upgrade in the past and have not yet done one for 7.0.

So yes ...
Wipe Cache Partition
Still a problem ... run in Safe Mode ...
Problem stops it is caused by an app you added ... figure out which one ... ask us ...
Problem not stopped ... Factory Data Reset.

You can have multiple launchers installed on your phone but only use one at a time. To select which installed launcher to use go to ...
Settings / Apps / gear icon at the top right
From the list select Home app
From the list select the launcher to use

... Thom

Upvote 0
I agree with everyone above. But one more thing: I discovered my phone was not only crawling, but whereas I used to get 2 days of battery life out of it, suddenly I was down to 75% after just 2 hours. Wiped the cache partition and it didn't seem to make much difference. That's when I discovered Google Location Services was on, and I specifically had had it turned off. Once I turned it off, things went back to normal right away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones