• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Odd POP3 Issue - Only Sends over WiFi

Holden McNeil

Dec 7, 2009
I've been lucky enough to avoid the other POP3 issues people have been experiencing but have encountered one of my own... I can send and receive email through my POP3 account (native mail app) on WiFi but once I switch over to 3G it only receives. I'm not running my POP3 through my Google account and I'm using the native Android mail app. Any ideas?

You need to use smtp auth or IMAP (if your email provider supports it). Basicially it sounds like a relaying issue (which most ISP's dont allow). It works on wifi because that is connected thrugh your ISP, but when you are on 3G you are basically trying to push email through your email server off network (think of all the spam if everyone was an open relay). I would recomend IMAP..... probably on your ISP or email providers FAQ page.

Upvote 0
You need to use smtp auth or IMAP (if your email provider supports it). Basicially it sounds like a relaying issue (which most ISP's dont allow). It works on wifi because that is connected thrugh your ISP, but when you are on 3G you are basically trying to push email through your email server off network (think of all the spam if everyone was an open relay). I would recomend IMAP..... probably on your ISP or email providers FAQ page.

Thanks for the info! I used SMTP Auth and found that a port number change was also required thanks to an iPhone user here. Sent a test email and all is well over 3G... Hopefully it'll continue to work over WiFi :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones