• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

odd problem to have

Turkey

May 14, 2010
I have a very odd problem. I gave up my iPhone after they released the data details and tethering options. I bought my evo thinking well guess this is the best way to tether the ipad. Well now I find myself never using the dam thing.

The evo loads pages faster and is just as good if not better at web browsing. Only thing I wouldn't do on the evo is watch movies on the small screen.

Anyway talk me in to ether selling the iPad or keeping it. Maybe ever selling it to buy an Android or Windows tablet

You wouldn't watch a movie if you're sitting somewhere on your Evo? Because the screen's too small?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the major selling point of this phone the screen size, the kickstand, and it's ability to have amazing multimedia playback?

I don't think most people realize how enjoyable it is to watch a video on this screen until they see a high quality/bit-rate dvd-rip at the native resoltuion of the screen. It's excellent, and not only that--the phone does a better job than my vizio LCD at blowing up 4:3 video to 16:9. The centering is top-notch.

Upvote 0
Yes, the Ipad loses a lot of luster once you have a phone that can render a page with such response AND it does flash. This is the first phone that allows browsing forums on the normal PC rendered pages without any delay or issue. That is a big deal to me, because it means the vast majority of the web is also just as accessible now. Even on the older androids, due to screen size and horsepower the experience of loading a lot of web pages like forums was a little painful.

I say sell your Ipad before the price goes down and pick up an android tablet in a couple months if you decide you really miss having a tablet that is awkwardly stuck between a very capable phone and laptop.

Upvote 0
I don't think most people realize how enjoyable it is to watch a video on this screen until they see a high quality/bit-rate dvd-rip at the native resoltuion of the screen. It's excellent, and not only that--the phone does a better job than my vizio LCD at blowing up 4:3 video to 16:9. The centering is top-notch.

That's probably because the EVO doesn't have a 16:9 screen...

Upvote 0
This is what all the owners will soon come to realize. The second-generation sales will be very low...watch.

I think if they bring the new "retina" display, gyroscope, and better power management from the iPhone 4 to the iPad, I would grab one as a ebook reader/casual game player. Not a slight feat (especially the high res screen on a larger screen device) if they can do it while keeping the cost the same.

Upvote 0
Wow if I wanted a jackass answer I would have saved the time and ask my girlfriend. lol

but really I just wanted opinions I have been struggling over putting it on ebay since I got the EVO
you did get could opinions, focus on them.

My friend wants to give up his iphone because of his ipad. He likes the large screen. I will eventually get the ipad, but will probably wait for the next generation, unless android does better which i doubt.

The apps for the ipad should really be excellent in the months to come. My friend who has one really has his set up well, and has access to a lot of multimedia, from comics, books, to movies, etc.

My computer is taking a backseat to my evo a lot. Partly because the evo is my new toy. It will take awhile to figure out how I will use it on the daily.

Upvote 0
I have a very odd problem. I gave up my iPhone after they released the data details and tethering options. I bought my evo thinking well guess this is the best way to tether the ipad. Well now I find myself never using the dam thing.

The evo loads pages faster and is just as good if not better at web browsing. Only thing I wouldn't do on the evo is watch movies on the small screen.

Anyway talk me in to ether selling the iPad or keeping it. Maybe ever selling it to buy an Android or Windows tablet

The Android tablets (especially the one with Tegra 2) are going to be amazing. The Gemini tablet which I have been following is basically everything the iPad should have been and is the one I would get if I had the money. It'll have a 1280x800 screen (if not larger res), front facing camera, SD card slot, and of course the 1GHZ Nvidia Tegra 2 which is amazing fast computing and for games too... Just go to Youtube and put in Tegra 2 and see for yourself.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/icds-tegra-2-toting-gemini-tested-briefly-enjoyed/

I would consider buying the iPad off of you if you are going to sell it.

Upvote 0

It appears the EVO type of phones are going to be the new Crossover SUV type segment. Its not a phone and its not a tablet but its something in- between. Not even the IPhone fits this category because of its smaller size. Once the new Motorola and Dell handset's are out and they will be an EVO clone more or less you are going to see it start hurting tablet and mini sized lap top sales. You really can get a lot done on the EVO besides talking. ;)

Upvote 0
I am coming to the same realization. Since picking up my EVO, I have rarely used my ipad. When I had the HTC HD2, all I would use was my ipad (tethered to my phone!) but the EVO is easily as fast at browsing as the ipad (hopefully they fix the poor wifi siganl soon though) I think I am going to sell my ipad, and wait to see what other tablets come in the future, or at least until the ipad gets some better games out for it.

Upvote 0
If you can get a good price, sell it. Otherwise, the Netflix streaming would probably be something I'd keep the iPad for, at least for the meantime.

But if you decide to sell, keep in mind, the asking price will drop as soon as rumors of an ipad2 surface. With the retina display of the iPhone4, it may not be too far off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones