1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Off topic again: programming a Honeywell thermostat

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Sep 28, 2018.

1. ThePhizzle

ThePhizzle Well-Known Member

Turn down thermostat until it clicks,set bottom switches to off and auto and remove the batteries for 3 minutes, after place them back in it should turn on,if not replace the batteries.

Advertisement

#26 ThePhizzle, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Sorry it took such a long time to get back to you, but I've been really busy with a lot of things. The pilot light is not lighting. I'm not sure what to do next. As I said, I'll probably be ok with the stove, but it's still kind of annoying, especially with a new filter more or less going to waste.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If the pilot light is not staying lit, then it's most likely the thermocouple that's gone bad. The good news is that's a pretty easy and cheap fix.

Rgarner likes this.
  4. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

That sounds great! What's a thermocouple and how do I fix it? If I need a new one, how will I know and what will it cost? I assume a hardware store would have it.

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

The thermocouple is a little piece of wire attached to the pilot that sends an electrical signal to the furnace controller to let it know the pilot is lit so it can keep the pilot valve open. When they go bad, the controller thinks the pilot is not lit so it shuts the gas off. I don't think it's a do-it-yourself project. Tinkering with gas appliances is incredibly dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. And, that was just a guess, but any reputable HVAC guy will be able to test it in a second to see if I'm right.

Mikestony and Rgarner like this.