• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Offical Moment Update

Hmm, my reports earlier of the battery meter being better might need to be rescinded. Just noticed that my phone dropped from 50% to 5% after picking it up and getting on the web for 10 minutes. Doing a restart into the diag mode, battery capacity is reported at 40%, boot back into android and phone meter shows 50%, then quickly to 40% then even quicker to 15% then a few minutes later to 5%./quote]

I have noticed that when the phone is "woken" with a low battery, the capacity will be over-reported for a few minutes before rapidly dropping.

For example, last night I used my Moment online for about 30 minutes after it was in the red 15%. Today I woke the phone and it initially showed green before rapidly moving to yellow, where it stayed for a little while before going red.

I am not showing any difference in battery....

I'm having the same experience. With Zefie's kernel I can use the phone from 6AM to 1AM the next day easily.. with battery left over. And lots of widgets. This still doesn't fix the battery problem 100%.

Well, since Zefie's doing the same thing, then it's really not a big issue other than you would think they could have fixed it.
Either way, I know how long I can go on my phone (over 2 days) on 1 charge with MY normal usage. I leave wifi/gps on all the time and for me turning them off makes no difference.

Maybe the overall actual battery life is improved with this update(or zefies), but the meter is still flakey if only when the actual capacity (as reported in the diag screen) reaches or falls below 50%

Upvote 0
Well, since Zefie's doing the same thing, then it's really not a big issue other than you would think they could have fixed it.
Either way, I know how long I can go on my phone (over 2 days) on 1 charge with MY normal usage. I leave wifi/gps on all the time and for me turning them off makes no difference.

Zefie's works much better. What kinda apps are you running in the BG to get 2 days use? I can only get that far if I shut it all down and turn off background data.

Upvote 0
Guess no one really addressed your questions or fully did so.

Yes there is a mobile site, and I'm surprised people don't know about it. If you go to the bottom of this page or any page on your computer or phone there is a little drop box that says "phandroid skin" on it. Click the box and you get the option of "AF Mobile" which gives you the mobile version of the site. Why anyone would want to deal with text based forums in full version of their phone is beyond me unless there was something really limiting about the mobile version, but then it's easy to switch to full if need be.
(1) Does the Moment browser work well with the http://androidforums.com/ site? This forum doesn't have a mobile version, and it does not display well on the stock Palm OS browser on a small screen.

There is no reason why you should walk out of the store with a phone that doesn't have the upgrade done. They should do it before they even activate it or at least before handing it over to you. But if you don't want the upgrade and would like to do Zefie's kernel update and follow that upgrade path, I'd make sure to tell them to leave it stock. If you want to tinker with the firmware of the phone, your best bet is to leave the store with the firmware that shipped with the phone so you can go Zefie's route and have a little more freedom in updating and fixing bugs as quickly as that developer crew can crank them out.
(2) If I buy a new Moment from a store that knows how to do the upgrade, would they do it on the spot before I loaded anything on? Would this be standard procedure so I wouldn't even have to ask about it, or do they normally sell their existing inventory with whatever software was loaded?

Upvote 0
[... I'll] try the Irvine Culver store (they seem to have their isht together there ...)

Ha. The first one I tried was the Irvine store (the ones who told me the OTA was available- but not).
FWIW, I just got mine updated at the Irvine Culver store (after calling to make sure that they finally got it and that mine wouldn't be the first one they've updated). They didn't brick it after all :) and yes, it's wiped as clean as a safe after a robbery, but I'm about to find out of ReWare backup (which claims to restore apps and settings and such) does what it's supposed to.

I pulled my SDcard just in case, but I'm sure it's not necessary.

Upvote 0
When I update my pc it doesn't get wiped what's the deal with this. So I will have to download all the apps and everything else that's on it every time it's updated. That is un cool.

If you do a Windows update, say from XP to Vista or 7, you do have to back-up because it will wipe everything. I heard you may not need to going from Vista to 7. Anyway, yes sometimes when you update your computer you do have to back-up and sometimes you don't. These phones are pretty much little computers. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm just pulling this outta my arse right now, but the biggest difference is probably the metadata that Android stores in its internal databases, or perhaps the size of various partitions have changed. If it's either of these (or a couple others) then a complete wipe, while not absolutely necessary, would take a lot of work that they didn't bother to do.

Upvote 0
Zefie's works much better. What kinda apps are you running in the BG to get 2 days use? I can only get that far if I shut it all down and turn off background data.
I keep my background sync on for my gmail account.
Leave Wifi on (connects automatically at preferred locations)
Leave GPS on (rarely used as it is only triggered by apps that need it, used even less now with aGPS working properly)
I'm completely stock, no special loads, absolutely NO TASK KILLERS for me, I hate them and they cause more trouble for me then they are worth.

I talk about 60 minutes a day on average, check web frequently I would say, but probably not like others.
I text 20-25 times a day. I also use my phone as a relay from my work pager, so any pages also go to my phone.
Screen is set on auto-brightness.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything I do that would be special.

One thing I've been wondering about re: the folks who say CJ14 is faster than CJ05- I wonder how much of that is due to it being completely wiped?

I'll find out soon enough, I guess.

I don't think the update made the phone perceivably any faster, maybe benchmark wise, but I don't notice it. The keyboard lag and jerky screen rotations are improved though.

Upvote 0
Oh, and FWIW, if you haven't yet, I highly recommend "My Backup Pro"; it restored just about everything- my apps, my call logs and SMS, my system settings, ... It was only $5, IIRC.

The only thing that I had to redo was my on-screen widgets and my background. None of my applications' data (i.e., "ConnectBot"'s hosts) were saved, either. But that's a lot better than having to re-download everything and put all my settings back.

... I am baffled as to why I didn't get the chance to re-download my apps from the Market. When I wiped my G1 to put Donut it gave me the reason to reload.

Upvote 0
Ok, after reading most of your comments, I went to a "sprint repair center" and decided to get the update. I thought I was fully prepared to encounter the blank stares from the staff, which came in drones. I stood my ground and DEMANDED my update. I became quite frustrated after dealing with a dummy technician; since he was trying to convince me that "any updates would be Over The Air. I showed him the weblink instructions for the updatef rom Sprint.com (which I found on this forum, thanks poster!) and he STILL didn't believe it. What a chump! I wanted to pull him through the glass and beat him! So, I brushed him off and I went to another technician and he was more receptive. Finally! #2 tech though still had a hard time finding it. While he was looking, I called *2 and spoke with Tech support to get them to talk some sense to these idiots... To my suprise, the guy over the phone DIDNT KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. Omg I started to feel like a deranged man asking for my scooby snacks!! WTF!?! I almost lost my cool but then #2 came out of the back and said he had found it! I was vindicated! I was still on the phone with the tech support and he wanted to know how the #2 tech found it. Omg, what an ordeal. So I dropped my phone off for a couple of hours and now I have it back. And to be honest...I dont notice a goshdarn thing...

WTF??

Upvote 0
I am not showing any difference in battery....

My personal experience has shown a dramatic change in life for the battery. I run GPS full-time now and WiFi when home. Still I keep Background Data optioned off unless needed though. Lasts from Sun-up to Sun-down and more and thats heavy browsing, email checking, few games, and things. My complaints have dwindled to nothing more than keyboard light time and removal of the signal loss tones that aggravate me to no end.

:)

Upvote 0
I stopped into the only Sprint repair center today and here's what the tech told me - Thy will have the update in the store tomorrow, but it will be going out OTA all week. I asked him about a notification and he proceeds to tell me that it will just automatically install itself in the background so it won't disturb whatever it is you're doing. Now my question is, what if I don't want this update ? It's just gonna install automatically regardless ? I get between 24 and 30 hours out of my battery right now and I don't want the update ruining that !!! This should be fun.

Upvote 0
hey guys,

I feel better after getting that off my chest (and a nap)! So im playing with my phone now and I have come to see some subtle changes. I guess after fighting with some blockheads I was expecting the Iphone/Droid to be living and breathing inside my Moment.
I have been updated to CUPCAKE.CL14. is this the right one?

I still have issues with my GPS which is the most noticable and I thought this update would surely fix it. Anyone else having this problem? Im hoping the stormy weather here in Bay area, California is the main cause.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones