• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Offical Moment Update

Just curious, what's your aversion to going rogue with some of us and doing it yourself with the benefits of Zefie's custom kernels?

None at all. I had all the files and was about to flash to Zefie's on Thursday night when the update was announced. I'm not so much pissed about not getting the features as I am amused and flabergasted at how poorly this upgrade is being implemented and what it foreshadows for the bigger 2.1 upgrade. There's absolutely no way that this or any upgrade should require a trip to a repair center and that most of the repair centers seem to be completely incapable of the job is doubly inexcusable. As it is, if I'm unable to get an official upgrade by the weekend (or more likely that I hit LOTTO without ever buying a ticket), I'll flash to Zefie's.

Upvote 0
I'm really starting to believe that the reason for the necessity of going into a repair center is actually for a very good reason- the eventual update to 2.1+ .

Consider that (1) 99% of the reason you'd ever have to wipe a phone completely is to repartition the flash, (2) part of the reason the original T-Mobile G1 isn't guaranteed to get anything > 1.6 is because they've partitioned it too large in the area used for over-the-air updates and not enough in /data and /system and T-Mobile has decided that coming into a store isn't going to be an option for updates, (3) as Motorola was the only launch partner for 2.0 (so Eclair wasn't part of the Google repo updates until that launch), nobody had a chance to see how big the code drop would be (although on the real it's probably not sooo much bigger than things stand now), and finally (4) it's been reported (and I've seen) that /data is smaller now, which implies some other partition is bigger since we're at the same OS version (i.e., it's not really because of OS changes).

For all we know, someone at Samsung did the math, realized we'd be in for a tight fit, and decided it's better to have some pain now than a lot later and added the repartitioning to the incremental update instead of when 2.0 comes out.

... just my wild guess. We'll see soon enough, I suppose.

Upvote 0
I took mine in today. They kept my phone for over an hour and when I came back in to pick it up they said that since the update is so new, there are some glitches that made her stop because she said she didn't want to "fry" my phone. Sounds like operator headspace and timing to me. So now I wait either for another tech to come to work on the weekend or wait until the over-the air is available as stated on the sprint site.

Upvote 0
I took mine in today. They kept my phone for over an hour and when I came back in to pick it up they said that since the update is so new, there are some glitches that made her stop because she said she didn't want to "fry" my phone. Sounds like operator headspace and timing to me. So now I wait either for another tech to come to work on the weekend or wait until the over-the air is available as stated on the sprint site.

this is a prime example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE she could've EASILY called a manager or another store and simply ask. i hate sprint for this stupid process

Upvote 0
Am I missing a setting for this then with the update? I got a text about 20 seconds after I read this, I stared at my phone for two minutes... didn't see the LEDs go on. Is this working with CL14? To my knowledge we still needed a 3rd party app, yet to be written, for this feature.

I just noticed that Handcent will no do the periodic notifications if you miss a text. My LED lights don't light up despite having the option turned on but it does play the audible notification, as well as turn the screen on. Seems to be every 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
exactly. took me 15 minutes to upgrade to the latest and greatest, and I gave that upgrade option to my cohorts with either me doing it for them or giving them the step by step instructions. Though I'll be peeved if they have driver issues. Don't feel like troubleshooting that from a distance.

But it takes Sprint out of the equation and gives you the freedom to upgrade when people that actually care about the phone tweak and mod it beyond what Sprint and Samsung will do. And you don't get your phone wiped in the process.

Just curious, what's your aversion to going rogue with some of us and doing it yourself with the benefits of Zefie's custom kernels?

Upvote 0
No it won't. The ability to flash allows you to flash back to stock, if it's needed or required, to do future official upgrades.
question....I'm new to the whole "flashing" thing. If I were to flash zelfie's update version, would that affect my ability to update to 2.1 when released? Or would I have to unflash back to the stock ROM and then update? I'm just learning all this stuff. lol

Upvote 0
Well today as being the first one in the area to update, I went to the Sprint Repair Center on Stevens Creek in San Jose, CA.

They kept on insisting that they did not have the update which to me was stupid ridiculous being that the repair center is friggin' in the middle of Silicone Valley!! LOL! So after leaving the store, I decided to take action. I made a few calls, got a hold of one of the Sprint District Managers within the Bay Area and left the guy a voice mail. Within a few minutes after doing so, I got the call back. He was actually polite and apologized for the lack of urgency and told me that the onsite technician was ready to update my phone PLUS he also stated he was giving me a $30.00 credit on my account for all the trouble!! :D

I then drove back, gave my phone to the Tech and within 30 minutes, I was outta there.

As for the update, the difference is hugely noticeable. Keyboard latency has been greatly reduced. Graphical transitions within the GUI is fast. GPS location is finally working (I am no longer living in the UK LOL!). As for battery life goes, I can't wait to push it tomorrow on a full charge but I have a feeling that the battery life is going to vastly rock! Thank you all and Phandroid for the information that has been shared on this very important update. It has given new life to my phone. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks CriticalCritic. I took the phone to the store you took yours to and got the update.

Everything seems to be working as advertised. My only complaint is that despite requesting several times NOT to back up my contacts and import them post-install, they did just that. They don't seem to understand the Android way of doing things, so I spent a good portion of last night de-duping my Gmail contacts. Oh well. I should have just done a hard reset myself before syncing, but for some reason I didn't think of that until after I had gone too far.

I'm not sure what else I could have done to make sure that the customer service guy told the tech not to back up my data, but if anyone is planning on going to the store and has their contacts synced to their google account, beware.

Upvote 0
Thanks CriticalCritic. I took the phone to the store you took yours to and got the update.

Everything seems to be working as advertised. My only complaint is that despite requesting several times NOT to back up my contacts and import them post-install, they did just that. They don't seem to understand the Android way of doing things, so I spent a good portion of last night de-duping my Gmail contacts. Oh well. I should have just done a hard reset myself before syncing, but for some reason I didn't think of that until after I had gone too far.

I'm not sure what else I could have done to make sure that the customer service guy told the tech not to back up my data, but if anyone is planning on going to the store and has their contacts synced to their google account, beware.

They more than likely have a script that they follow, and don't really take customer input into consideration. Step 1. plug in phone, Step 2. open flash program. Step 3. If step 2 doesn't work, repeat step 1...etc. That has been my experience with other companies that I have dealt with, they don't seem to like to deviate from the script.

Upvote 0

So if I have my contacts synced to google and go into the store what's going to happen? I was planning on going in today to get the upgrade...

Upvote 0
So if I have my contacts synced to google and go into the store what's going to happen? I was planning on going in today to get the upgrade...

Tell them NOT to re-add your contacts. Explain to them, its a google phone and it automatically backs up your contacts to gmail. If they re-add them you'll have 2 of everything.

Assuming of course you did add your gmail account to your phone and allow autosync

Upvote 0
I'd suggest before reconnecting to your google account, checking the phone to see if there are any contacts there. If so, then they must have uploaded them back to the phone after the firmware update. I would then delete them all first, then set up the google account connection.

Yes, definitely get them off your phone BEFORE creating the google sync. The contacts Sprint puts back on your phone are not perfect copies of the ones they took off your phone before upgrading your phone's software. The formatting of addresses and phone numbers are off. What's worse is that when you go in to your google contacts through a normal computer/browser, you can't tell just with a glance which of the two contacts is the one you need to delete. I thought I could just click the first or the second for each set of duplicates to mass delete (annoying but not too time consuming), but it is not consistent - some duplicates have the misformatted phone version listed first, some second. So I had to go in to each and every contact to see which one I needed to delete.

About halfway through I realized that I could have just done a hard reset, as I had noticed before syncing that they had copied over my contact list. I had assumed I could just quickly pick one of each contact and mass delete.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones