• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 2.2 Froyo OTA thread

How did your update to 2.2 turn out!

• I had never rooted, and it worked fine.

Votes: 108 57.4%
  • I had rooted, and it worked fine.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I had never rooted and got stuck at the MOTO screen.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • I had rooted, and got stuck at the MOTO screen.

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
I dont necessarily agree with your marketing analysis for 2.2... Due to delays most of the Droid X owners are still within their 30 day WFG when the Droid 2 comes out. If 2.2 is that important people could do a worry free guarantee exchange to the Droid 2. They should give the X owners 2.2 first to keep them from returning prematurely and going to the Droid 2.

Upvote 0
I dont necessarily agree with your marketing analysis for 2.2... Due to delays most of the Droid X owners are still within their 30 day WFG when the Droid 2 comes out. If 2.2 is that important people could do a worry free guarantee exchange to the Droid 2. They should give the X owners 2.2 first to keep them from returning prematurely and going to the Droid 2.

I know we are hearing the 12th on the Droid 2.I believe they will wait until the initial Droid X buyers 30 day return window is up before releasing it thought.

Upvote 0
The general public does not know what 2.1, froyo, etc. are; they don't care.

I don't think I've ever seen a Verizon/Moto commercial advertising what version firmware a phone is using.

They are not holding back on releasing froyo to give the D2 a marketing boost.

Ok then.If it can run on D2 why would it not work with DX.There are only a few minor hardware changes between the 2.Maybe manufactures should start building their phones to work with the operating system instead of trying to get the operating system to work around everything.

Upvote 0
All valid points, but you are trying to surmise the habits of EVERYONE buying one of the devices you mentioned.

That can't be done.:D
Nah--exactly the opposite. I was suggesting before panties get too knotted here over 2.2 this or D2 that, that the very strong emotional opinions of a very small subset of the overall Droid base (this forum) should NOT be used to surmise the habits of EVERYONE buying one of the devices.

Upvote 0
I decided to post in this thread, considering there were 3 made within a few seconds/minute of one another, and it looks like you won :)

I can wait, assuming they get as many bugs as they can out with the final build.
Yeah now I feel special. Thank you sir. Also your avatar makes me hot in a weird kind of way. Just thought I would share that.

Upvote 0
Ban all who do not know Star Trek Enterpirse!!! Ok jk, but that is Data from the second iteration of the Star Trek tv series. :D

Ahhh okay. Not a big trek fan. Love the Original crew, but don't know about the other series much.

Back on topic, as was said above, I don't mind waiting for Froyo if it means less bugs when it's released.

Upvote 0
Yea, I'm another person who thinks the 2.2 build is done for the DX. I don't see any reason for them to hold back on it either. If they're trying to make the D2 look more desirable, it's all for nothing. Both phones are made by Motorola, so really the decision is if you want a keyboard and a smaller screen or if you want a bigger screen and something more badass. Then again, it really just looks like they're slow releasing it so they can milk all the press they can get.

Upvote 0
Yea, I'm another person who thinks the 2.2 build is done for the DX. I don't see any reason for them to hold back on it either. If they're trying to make the D2 look more desirable, it's all for nothing. Both phones are made by Motorola, so really the decision is if you want a keyboard and a smaller screen or if you want a bigger screen and something more badass. Then again, it really just looks like they're slow releasing it so they can milk all the press they can get.

Well you don't know what you are talking about so stop complaining.

Here is a quote from a reliable source at HoFo. This guy was involved with the X for a while.

I am using froyo on my x right now. and i will tell you all its not ready!!!! stop crying cause if you got it and it was a total mess right now then you would bash them.Google wants to add a few more fixes of their own so give it a few weeks please.

Thead on HoFo

Upvote 0
i'm really bummed out on waiting a whole month for froyo to come out on the x. i remember the pre release of all the people talking about having froyo and flash on the x and this was late june early july. i was okay with waiting until august but this news of september kind of pissed me off, just because all the other phones are getting it and we'll be one of the last. i wonder why they didn't work on developing froyo for the x while the phone was being developed and tested and stuff? hopefully when we get froyo there'll be no bugs what so ever and all the bugs we have no will be worked out cuz they have plenty of time to work perfection on an already perfect phone. this post is helping me vent some. i was really looking toward to watching videos on transworld motocross. oh well i love my droid x and it will be amazing with froyo :) if anyone else wants to vent a lil or express any feelings on froyo for the x feel free please. have a nice day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones