• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 2.2 Froyo OTA thread

How did your update to 2.2 turn out!

• I had never rooted, and it worked fine.

Votes: 108 57.4%
  • I had rooted, and it worked fine.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I had never rooted and got stuck at the MOTO screen.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • I had rooted, and got stuck at the MOTO screen.

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
I know Motorola never gave a definitive date and that September is technically late summer, but many of us took "late summer" to mean August. I know I did. And a month is still a month. When you only plan on having a phone for 20 months (even less for one year contracts), a month is not a small amount of time.

So because you and many others misconstrued what Motorola said it is bad? You even admit to September being late summer. This is not directed at you but people need to learn patence. If they did not get it out by the second week of September then there might be something to complain about. But a month is a small amount of time. Yes it is a matter of perception. But the seasons have a set date every year that they end. And they gave a third of a season to look at. So the update should come between Aug 21-Sept21. That is the last third of the season. So if they get it out first week of Sept then they are right in the middle of what they said.
Everyone seems to forget that words mean things. And in this case Moto is right where they said they would be.

Upvote 0
So because you and many others misconstrued what Motorola said it is bad? You even admit to September being late summer. This is not directed at you but people need to learn patence. If they did not get it out by the second week of September then there might be something to complain about. But a month is a small amount of time. Yes it is a matter of perception. But the seasons have a set date every year that they end. And they gave a third of a season to look at. So the update should come between Aug 21-Sept21. That is the last third of the season. So if they get it out first week of Sept then they are right in the middle of what they said.
Everyone seems to forget that words mean things. And in this case Moto is right where they said they would be.

What's so wrong about being a little bummed? And this is not directed at you but to everyone who seems to have such a problem with this post. I never said motorola lied. And I know that my perception is just that. Doesn't change the fact that I'm still a bit disappointed. The TC wanted anyone of us who share his frustration to vent a bit. That's what I did. What's wrong with that?

Upvote 0
The only thing that bothers me is that Droid received/is receiving 2.2 before any other Androids on Verizon... it's listed as an "End of Life" device.

It shouldn't bother you...

Do you want them to just give up on the X the next time a better phone comes out. I'm pissed about the (unconfirmed) delay, but I do like the way they're treating their past customers.

Upvote 0
Would I like to have it now? yes
Do I think it is being held so that they can sell more Droid 2's? yes
Do I think we have a better device than the 2? yes
Are they doing anything other than what they have promised? no

I guess I have a hard time getting bummed when companies are doing exactly what they have promised.

Upvote 0

I guess I have a hard time getting bummed when companies are doing exactly what they have promised.

ohh gawd a self-questioner...

Actually, I was, as a lot of others, told the update would be out by August by the sales rep as he took my $300.

Upvote 0

Do you like asking questions then answering them yourself? yes
Did anyone say you should be getting bummed? no

Come on, let's be real. No one is threatening to return their phone or to burn down motorola headquarters. Like I said, I love my phone and don't regret my purchase one bit. We're just expressing some sense of disappointment. I'm glad you don't share it. But why all the beef with those of us that do?

Upvote 0
you guys shoulda bought a freakin Eris in NOVEMBER! They were telling everyone that it would get 2.1 in a month. 4 months later.....they finally deliver. this phone hasn't even been out a month. and it will receive and update in another months time.

ROFL so true.. I had an Eris in Nov.

Buttt... with the Eris I felt like 1.5 -> 2.1 was nothing big, and it wasn't anticipated like FROYO.

Froyo is adding a LOT to the Droid X. The droidX is supposed to be the flagship VZ device, but now w/o Froyo, it's kind of in limbo, while the Inc and other phones are enjoying that refreshing frozen dessert.

Upvote 0
I don't think it really matters why they're releasing it at some point in September. The fact is that they are releasing it, so we shouldn't be complaining or raging at each other here because it won't change anything.

I agree with the writer in the post that OP linked to. I would much rather have a stable firmware release than a potentially device-crippling one. If it isn't ready, then it isn't ready. Even if it is ready, we can't know for sure. Deciding that you feel confident that it's one way or the other doesn't mean you need to act out on that feeling emotionally. Just hope that it's working properly when it's actually released. If at that time, Froyo doesn't work properly, THEN you should start bringing out your pitchforks. I sure as hell would.

I also agree with ericnail. That shouldn't really bother you, Howie. Verizon is giving the original Droid's users what will probably be their last firmware update. They aren't completely leaving them in the dust like they have other devices in the past. I remember my LG Voyager was left unstable, slow, and completely laggy, (not to say that the Droid is/was) and it frustrated the crap out of me.

You have insanely fast, badass phones, and they're going to get more badass in about a month or so from now. Be happy about that. I don't even have my Droid X yet. It will probably be another two weeks before I get mine, and I'm one of the only ones in this thread looking on the bright side. What does that tell you?

Upvote 0
Do you like asking questions then answering them yourself? yes
Did anyone say you should be getting bummed? no

Come on, let's be real. No one is threatening to return their phone or to burn down motorola headquarters. Like I said, I love my phone and don't regret my purchase one bit. We're just expressing some sense of disappointment. I'm glad you don't share it. But why all the beef with those of us that do?

It is not a beef it is a different way of looking at it. And I could ask the same question of you why the beef with someone that does not think the way you do?

Upvote 0
ROFL so true.. I had an Eris in Nov.

Buttt... with the Eris I felt like 1.5 -> 2.1 was nothing big, and it wasn't anticipated like FROYO.

Froyo is adding a LOT to the Droid X. The droidX is supposed to be the flagship VZ device, but now w/o Froyo, it's kind of in limbo, while the Inc and other phones are enjoying that refreshing frozen dessert.

I disagree. I'm looking forward to froyo, but 2.1 for the Eris was probably the most anticipated update I've ever been a part of. I mean, you have to remember all the 2.1 threads, the kittens, all the lives lost so needlessly LOL. It was INTENSE.

Upvote 0
Verizon is giving the original Droid's users what will probably be their last firmware update.

Just one correction it is the last offical update. remember they do not have the locked bootloader and will be able to load custom roms to update the phone.

And to those that are unhappy about the droid getting it first. It was also the first flagship android device without it one could question would android be where it is at today.

Upvote 0
I disagree. I'm looking forward to froyo, but 2.1 for the Eris was probably the most anticipated update I've ever been a part of. I mean, you have to remember all the 2.1 threads, the kittens, all the lives lost so needlessly LOL. It was INTENSE.

lol true..

But i feel like this one is more widespread.. like with the eris it was just the eris waiting for an update, with this it feels like all the new phones want it.

BTW, have you tried playing with your Eris since you got your x? It's so tiny i feel like im going to break it.

Upvote 0
It is not a beef it is a different way of looking at it. And I could ask the same question of you why the beef with someone that does not think the way you do?

No, you couldn't ask me the same question because I don't have a beef with people that don't think the way I do. How about rereading my last post. You know, the part about me being glad that you don't share in my bummness. I'm happy for you. So where's the beef in that?

My whole point from my first post was to say that there is nothing wrong with being bummed out like the topic indicates.

Upvote 0
Installing a custom ROM isn't really a firmware, "update." It's introducing firmware that's new to the device to some extent, sure, but I think that even you knew what I meant when I said what I said.

If you really want me to get technical, then I will carify and state that Froyo is probably the last OTA update that the original Droid will ever get from Verizon.

Upvote 0
The only thing that bothers me is that Droid received/is receiving 2.2 before any other Androids on Verizon... it's listed as an "End of Life" device.

Try to put yourself as an original Droid user. If you weren't getting FroYo or if it was coming much later, wouldn't you be saying something to the tune of "We saved Motorola by buying the Droid and now they are putting us out to pasture." Maybe not those words, but you know what I mean. ;P

We're going to be in their situation next year more than likely and I hope they support us like they're supporting the Droid now.

We can wait a month. It's not that huge of a deal.

Upvote 0
lol true..

But i feel like this one is more widespread.. like with the eris it was just the eris waiting for an update, with this it feels like all the new phones want it.

BTW, have you tried playing with your Eris since you got your x? It's so tiny i feel like im going to break it.

No, I might pull it outta the closet, its had a cracked screen since may. So I haven't played with it at all in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones