• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

:D
4g speedtest.png

Upvote 0
I posted this elsewhere but I will repost it here. I get a 4G signal and have been testing the tethering. I live in Hollywood, near the corner of Lexington Ave and Cherokee Ave. Depending on where I am in my apartment, I get a poor, weak, or good signal, according to the phone.

Sorry for the long post, but it has some decent info.

I have no idea if this is real, but it seems that 4G is working for me. I'm in Los Angeles (Hollywood). I can tether just fine using the prompt that pops up when I plug in the USB cable (I will call this "HTC Internet Sharing" from now on). I also did some tests with PDAnet and EasyNet (free versions). I tested it all again on 3G. Here are the results.

Notes:
- I put in a Kansas tested because I get an IP from them when using HTC Internet Sharing. I get a Los Angeles IP when using PDAnet or EasyNet.
- in all my tests, Wi-fi is off, and so are the other radios (e.g. while testing 4G, I turned off the 3G radio. I even unplugged the computer's ethernet and unplugged my router just in case).
- Although I only post a few results, I tested these a few times to get consistent results. I tested these at around 3am, but I got similar results a few hours earlier.
- I couldn't test the $29.99 wireless hotspot because I didn't add that to my plan.
- I couldn't test PDAnet's bluetooth because I don't have that on my desktop pc.

4G Tests

HTC Internet Sharing
838255054.png

to New York
to Kansas

PDAnet
838243260.png

to New York
to Kansas

EasyNet
838247899.png

to New York
to Kansas

3G Tests

HTC Internet Sharing: did NOT work. Gave me the usual "PCS Vision" error

PDAnet
838262014.png

to New York
to Kansas

EasyNet
838264655.png

to New York
to Kansas

Other tests

Wi-Fi (yes, I realize this sort of defeats the purpose of tethering but it could come in handy...)
838268403.png

to New York
to Kansas

My cable internet, via ethernet cable
838270131.png

to New York
to Kansas

Conclusions:
- I've had over 1.2Mbps from the 3G before, but for some reason they were low during my tests just now. This at least shows it fluctuates a lot.
- 4G is definitely faster, and faster than the top speed for 3G. Does this mean I'm really using 4G, in Los Angeles?
- 3G or 4G, the ping is awful and jittery. However, I played TF2 and it felt fine (that game has a lot of lag compensation).
- I will be sad to cancel my cable internet. It's way faster than the advertised 10 Mbps I'm paying for.

The Sprint rep I spoke to when I activated my phone said that 3G and 4G access was unlimited and uncapped. However, she did not specify if this included USB tethering, as I am not paying for the wireless hotspot.

Upvote 0
I live off 620 between I35 and 183 in Brushy Creek. I get one bar of 4G and get about 2Mbs down on average (have had it really low, under 1, and as high as 2.9) but only about .5 ro .8 up. And it is all over the map. Friday afternoon after I got the EVO is was touch and go. Sometimes could not get 4G connection. Sometimes 3G is better it seems.

But what's funny, IMO, is I get about the same results on my Verizon Incredible. I have sit with both devices side-by-side and run browser loading tests and they are neck and neck - most of the time the Inc 3G beats the EVO's 4G. And even funnier, sometimes the EVO's 3G is faster than the Inc's. So really, it is going to depend on your location. I did not really get the EVO for the 4G - and right now I am wondering if I am going to keep it vs. the Inc.

Upvote 0
I have tried 3 locations: inside Fry's at waiting to return an item (20 feet inside the store), at the front door of Whichwich in Mueller (right off 35 near Best Buy and Home Depot), my house (Windsor Park about .75 miles North and .25 miles East of Whichwich).

At no point did my download speeds on 4G get even HALF the download speed of 3G. Worse is that I only got a 4G signal in 2 of the locations (not my house) and that my speeds were 200K at Fry's and 500K at Whichwich. My 3G speeds at the same locations were 800K and 1100K respectively.

I am VERY concerned about the 4G network in Austin and am strongly considering returning the phone, particularly given the $10 "premium data" fee.

I work 2 blocks East of the Capital downtown and sit a window. If I can't get stronger 4G speeds downtown, I will really have no reason to keep this phone. My TouchPro is not sexy but it has applications that are important to me and that are not available on Android and my laptop's built in 3G card does as well or better than 4G).

I am VERY disappointed by Sprint's 4G. I realize that this is a new network but I remember when 3G hit Austin and it was must better at launch than 4G is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones