• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Unannounced 4G Cities" - How's the coverage there?

ragnarkar

Jan 20, 2011
Southern California
It seems that VM's 4G coverage is a little more widespread that what VM's (or even Sprint's) coverage maps indicate. If you go to the following link, they have a list of "Unofficial" Sprint Unannounced 4G cities:

Sprint Community: Current List of Sprint/Clear 4G Unannounced Cities

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4-wimax-protection-site-operation-confirmation/

Also, you can go onto Clearwire's coverage map and zoom into these cities; supposedly they have some coverage. (Clearwire provides the Wimax for Sprint and Virgin Mobile.) I hear they are provided by so-called "Protection Site" towers.

4G Wimax Internet Coverage Map with Service Area | CLEAR

I've not ventured into any of these "Unofficial" 4G areas with my Evo V yet but I've got friends who live in these areas and are considering this phone.

If you live in any of these Unofficial 4G areas and are able to have access (even limited), please comment! Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones