• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

This is from my house in Hutto.

4673031941_aaf92f8d7f_b.jpg

I've averaged 2.5 - 2.75 at home. Drove around yesterday (Parmer /35 area, La frontera in RR) and was getting poorer speeds < 2 Mbps. As a test I located the cell tower in Hutto at 79/SH130. Standing under the tower less than 100 yards away I got a 100% 4G signal (3 semicircles, 6 bars), after 10+ tests I got a max speed of 3.23 Mbps. Something tells me the network is limited to 3Mbps which is a bit disappointing. Anybody seen anything significantly OVER 3 Mbps? Im convinced after my tests that the area doesnt have > 3MB speed. For comparison 3g maxed out at ~1.7 under the tower. Hopefully as the build out progresses speeds will increase.

Upvote 0
My girlfriend gets 5.5Mbits on her ClearWire usb adapter.

Pretty sure its the same network (sprint owns half of ClearWire).. so.. what gives??

Sounds like her USB adapter and laptop are the difference. One or the other or both combined make for a faster experience. It is the same network. It could even be a situation of Clear subscribers getting preference at the tower but that seems a bit of a stretch although not impossible.

Upvote 0
Hey Also in austin here this is an excerpt from a thread I just started basically asking the very same thing.

"2) Whats up with 4g speed?
I know this probably isnt great to be bringing up about the company I work for but I have not seen myself or read of anyone's speedtest on the evo exceeding the 3MB/sec barrier. The speeds I consistently see are outstanding by 3g expectations but not near what I expected of 4g espescially since I have seen our Mobile Broadband products consistently exceed those barriers. Is there something with device or software limiting these speeds?"

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/93312-love-my-evo-but.html

There is the link to the thread if you want to check out the other stuff I wrote

Upvote 0
If you were making a list of reasons to get the phone and adding a weight to each item I would put 4G on the middle of your list. WiMax (the technology) will have a difficult time piercing walls making your signal spotty and unreliable. It will mature over a long period of time but possibly could be replaced by LTE later.

However, as I was pointing out in another thread, remember speed tests are only a small piece of the puzzle when measuring your 'experience'. Latency is another factor. And, WiMax has a bigger pipe to push data through even if your overall speed isn't what you were hoping. Speed can also be affected by how much free time the CPU of your phone has at that moment. IE, it takes CPU to process those packets. Your phone may be in the middle of hopping towers or negotiating a new signal or (x,y,z). These things would have a minimal impact but you get the point.

If you are purchasing the Evo simply to see 15mb on a speed test using 4G you will be disappointed. But I would encourage anyone to not dismiss Sprints 3G data network. I've been a long time hater of Sprint overall (customer service, spotty coverage). I haven't used them in over a decade and always suggested people choose them last for service. However, their data network is probably one of the best out there. And, over the past three years they've done a good deal of work improving their spotty coverage.

Anyway... my point... The only _real_ way to test the phone is measure the experience overall. How responsive do web pages feel? How responsive do sites like Google and MSN load (where you know the other end isn't slow)? You have to measure these things yourself as its a personal decision and choice whether they feel snappy to you.

To me... 3G or 4G doesn't matter as I've been wildly surprised at how responsive the net has been compared to the incredible I was evaluating and my iPhone 3GS of the past two years. Kudos to Sprint in my humble opinion. *Golf Clap*

Upvote 0
I work downtown near 5th & Flower and was getting a pretty good 4G signal Friday after I picked up the phone. I wasn't however getting very fast download speeds (upload to the capped 1MB most times though).

I left the 4G radio on and picked up intermittent signals driving out of downtown on the harbor freeway but probably lost them all by the time I got to USC. Been checking it out from LAX down through the South Bay this weekend and have not gotten any signal down here yet, so it seems most of the LA testing is still in the Downtown/Hollywood area.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been covered, but when I got my phone from radio shack the guy who worked there said that the Fort Lauderdale area is included the Miami coverage area. I don't know if this is true or not, but he said a lot of times when companies make announcements about coverage, and they talk about the Miami area, it includes Fort Lauderdale, but they don't make the distinction.

Hope it's true...

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been covered, but when I got my phone from radio shack the guy who worked there said that the Fort Lauderdale area is included the Miami coverage area. I don't know if this is true or not, but he said a lot of times when companies make announcements about coverage, and they talk about the Miami area, it includes Fort Lauderdale, but they don't make the distinction.

Hope it's true...

I'm crossing my fingers for Miami and I would imagine broward is included as well.

Upvote 0
I think because we are just one big city basically from Homestead to West Palm thats the area they cover then they do some network upgrades, plus its easy to cover so much land when its flat :) There is a list floating in the internet that states every city that will be covered and yes Ft. Laudy was covered so your good. BTW My Radioshack salesman said 4G will be here by the end of July I wonder if he was right?

Upvote 0
I think because we are just one big city basically from Homestead to West Palm thats the area they cover then they do some network upgrades, plus its easy to cover so much land when its flat :) There is a list floating in the internet that states every city that will be covered and yes Ft. Laudy was covered so your good. BTW My Radioshack salesman said 4G will be here by the end of July I wonder if he was right?

I was told by July as well. Don't remember if he said beginning or end though. Which radioshack did you go to?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones