• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

If I remember, there were a couple other folks from the SF bay area on Evo forums. I am pretty excited about this. Google, Intel and Cisco are all part of the WiMax test network that may already be up and running in Silicon valley. I am hoping that means us folks out here will get the latest and greatest functionality, once it rolls out to public.

It is nice living out this way, because big tech companies tend to do things like give free wifi to the public, like Google did for Mountain View.

Clearwire unveils largest WiMax test area | Wireless - CNET News

Upvote 0
They have really weird set up in Hawaii. When I lived out there, the only place I couldn't get 3g was the side of Maui I lived on (Lahaina Side). However, whenever I started going towards Kahului, or even the other side towards Hana, 3g all the way.

Wow! another person from Maui! Well, was anyway. Yeah the 3G here is pretty good. As far as getting in the ocean, It's just there are no barriers blocking so the signal travels far from up on the mountain sides. I live in a kinda weak area. My Touch Pro is always switching between Verizon and Sprint which drains my battery. I'm wondering if the 4G signal will be stronger and be able to get a solid strength signal??? Does weak 3G also mean weak 4G??? God I hope not!!

Upvote 0
This video is very informative, but why if this is the future is Sprint and Clear saying if they need to switch to LTE they can?
At this point I don't think Sprint will need to change to LTE, but Hesse said at CTIA that they were willing to merge the technologies for the good of the industry and for the good of the consumers worldwide.

Reactions: travisr528
Upvote 0
Reactions: beavis39001
Upvote 0
News on wimax 2 standard

Intel, Motorola, Samsung and more join forces to support WiMAX 2 -- Engadget

A lot of companies in the Frey. This could be the TD( time division standard) that sprint was looking for if they need to integrate LTE, as it is currently in a FD ( frequency division) model.

In addition it looks like it is backward compatible to wimax 1.

WiMax 2 and TD-LTE are two different things. When it's all said and done, Sprint and Clearwire will choose between WiMax 2 and LTE-Advanced, for their next move. This is the reason they are not a part of WCI team yet.

Upvote 0
Everything I've read indicates that a conversion of WiMAX to WiMAX2 is fairly simple once the basic infrastructure (existing wimax radios on towers) are in place. Saying they'd entertain LTE is a smart business move to appear adaptable and keep those quarterly earnings high but I really don't see why they wouldn't jump to W2. Clearwire has even hinted that they'd be testing it out in 2011 for a possible 2012 (and i guess EVO3? ;) ) device rollout. Since LTE will be in very limited areas in 2011, this would completely suck the wind out of the sails of AT&T and Verizon, with Sprint having the trump. After being a Sprint customer for years, it seems like they finally found some business sense at last.

Of course I could be 100% wrong :D

Upvote 0
those are all wimax towers owned by tower co who is partnered with Sprint and clear.

sweet! FAR more towers listed than on the sprint page. I've got 25 within 20 miles around me, but my specific community doesn't have one in it yet...im sure they must be building them now because my area would make clearwire a ton of money. Closest one to me is 4.3 miles.

Whats the radius signal of a wimax tower?

Upvote 0
sweet! FAR more towers listed than on the sprint page. I've got 25 within 20 miles around me, but my specific community doesn't have one in it yet...im sure they must be building them now because my area would make clearwire a ton of money. Closest one to me is 4.3 miles.

Whats the radius signal of a wimax tower?
not %100 but I believe 1.5-3 mi. Also there could be more towers since those r only the ones owned by towerco

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones