• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we come back to some great news! First the storage size is re-confirmed for 32GB and then the Windsock makes himself useful!

P3Droid

So the volume bug was fixed and will be out soon..but wtf are people doing using the nexus in a 2g area? Bug doesn't manifest unless in 2g area..so u can all relax.

AND WE GET BEST BUY ADS YIPPY!! :D :D

Upvote 0
To me, the need for the Nexus is best summed up in one acronym: LTE.

My current phone is OK and not yet dying yet, I'm just sick and tired of T-Mobile's crappy coverage in my area (as well as upset about the potential merger with AT&T down the road). AT&T itself and Sprint are also bad choices right now.

I want Verizon's coverage, and since I want to switch anyway I want the best phone that will continue to get updates. A delay on that means more money going to Verizon's competitors, which neither I nor Verizon should want.

I'm fine with a (temporarily) buggy phone, especially if it has to do with calling. Ironically, I don't use my phone that much as a phone, I want to use ICS and have its features, not some Sense UI crap or Motorola's UI. So the Rezound and RAZR won't work for me, though they do look like nice phones. This probably puts me in the minority for Verizon's target users, though it's my understanding the Nexus line is supposed to be for developers, not particularly regular consumers - maybe this is a change of the target market for Google.

I signed up for the Verizon Nexus update mailing list and the only communication I've gotten so far is spam about the RAZR. I want more openness, not less. I'd understand if problems made Verizon push back their date. But to have *nothing* for this long after Google announced it last month and we were told November for release. Now it's possibly December or "end of the year". By that time it's almost Q1 and we're getting outdated technology. I just want the best phone on the best carrier for one day, and I feel like I'm being led along on some hype-machine (maybe that's in part due to my daily reading of this forum but leaks and speculation are inevitable in absence of actually talking to your customers).

Reactions: sneakking
Upvote 0
Long time lurker who decided to decloak
If the information you provided that VZ is really running into a bug and testing to fix it I have no problem with them delaying. That being said their communication and inability to command the message is what is hurting them right now. For better or for worse a certain fruit named tech company with their "reality distortion field" has created a gold standard in communication with end users by doing a run around the major carriers. It seems like Google pushed the Nexus program to compete with them as well as a create an Android reference device, a meter stick all other Android devices should measure up to. Google, unlike WinMo7 or Apple, has little to no control over non-Nexus devices and this leaves us with bloatware, skins like Sense and Motoblur, and often sub-par devices.

With the Galaxy Nexus we have Google, Samsung and VZ behind it. Being that the Samsung Galaxy S and S II have gotten nothing but rave reviews and became the first Android phones to pull off a hat trick (deployed on all major carriers) , Samsung have become one of the most trusted Android OEMs if not the most trusted. Like wise Google with previous nexus devices has been quick to give updates and the most competent with their OTA updates (note the Moto Droid gets it

Reactions: zedster
Upvote 0
For me there are several issues here.

First, quite honestly Verizon should not be required to announce any release date until they are ready. If they do make an official announcement and are unable to stand by that, people here will be more than mad. What has happened here over the past few months is nothing.

Second, all of the information we have been following the past few weeks is largely unofficial and not directly from Verizon. Therefore, I cannot blame them for what we all perceive as being

Upvote 0
(note the Moto Droid gets it’s updates from google not VZ)

I believe this is incorrect. The OG Droid is getting an update soon that is currently being tested, and it's being done by Moto, not Google. Also, I seem to remember previous updates on my OG Droid taking a while because they went through Moto and VZW.

Upvote 0
To me, the need for the Nexus is best summed up in one acronym: LTE.

My current phone is OK and not yet dying yet, I'm just sick and tired of T-Mobile's crappy coverage in my area (as well as upset about the potential merger with AT&T down the road). AT&T itself and Sprint are also bad choices right now.

I want Verizon's coverage, and since I want to switch anyway I want the best phone that will continue to get updates. A delay on that means more money going to Verizon's competitors, which neither I nor Verizon should want.

I'm fine with a (temporarily) buggy phone, especially if it has to do with calling. Ironically, I don't use my phone that much as a phone, I want to use ICS and have its features, not some Sense UI crap or Motorola's UI. So the Rezound and RAZR won't work for me, though they do look like nice phones. This probably puts me in the minority for Verizon's target users, though it's my understanding the Nexus line is supposed to be for developers, not particularly regular consumers - maybe this is a change of the target market for Google.

I signed up for the Verizon Nexus update mailing list and the only communication I've gotten so far is spam about the RAZR. I want more openness, not less. I'd understand if problems made Verizon push back their date. But to have *nothing* for this long after Google announced it last month and we were told November for release. Now it's possibly December or "end of the year". By that time it's almost Q1 and we're getting outdated technology. I just want the best phone on the best carrier for one day, and I feel like I'm being led along on some hype-machine (maybe that's in part due to my daily reading of this forum but leaks and speculation are inevitable in absence of actually talking to your customers).

And the bug (although P3 has said it isn't a problem on the Verizon version) is only activated when on 2G networks... chances are you'll only be using 4G and 3G, but not 2G lol.

Upvote 0
Just my 2 cents..

I was wondering about this phone, dreaming about it, maybe living for it. But with so many deceptions, i'm thinking to pass it off.

I need to have it on AT&T, but verizon's exclusivity is for one month (at least that was the rumor), so my best chance is to buy it at some time in january and this is very close to CES (and a bunch of new phones).

I'm sad, but i think that i wont have this phone.

Upvote 0
I'm coming from a feature phone and am very eager to enter the smart phone world. The lack of communication is frustrating, but it's nothing to get real angry over. I'm willing to wait, and have been since February, for the best 4G smart phone to buy, and the Galaxy Nexus is just that to me. And I will continue to wait until Verizon decides to release it.

Upvote 0
If you know the G-Nex will be out by year's end, why is the specific date between now and then crucially important?

The date is crucially important to me because the double data plan is ending this month. If the plan ran through December, there would not be any problems with the launch date. The biggest concern is from the people waiting to contract with verizon who would like to have the 4gb data along with the Gnex.

Upvote 0
First:

Brianfizz & Zedster: Welcome to the forums! Glad you decided to join us in speculating!

Second: Rob & Phases: THANK YOU! Verizon confirmed our suspicions and said what we thought they would say. Folks, it'll be ready when it's ready and not a moment sooner. I'm sure that - at THIS point - Verizon wants to put this baby to bed as much as we want them to. Every day that goes by that Nexus isn't released is costing them money... but they want to do us right by releasing a QUALITY Nexus. I'll wait for it.

Third: I'm glad that the only two occasions this thread has been locked have been good occasions. With over 43,500 posts, it shows that we can be civilized, even with our tense emotions and angst. Happy to be a part of it.

Upvote 0
I believe this is incorrect. The OG Droid is getting an update soon that is currently being tested, and it's being done by Moto, not Google. Also, I seem to remember previous updates on my OG Droid taking a while because they went through Moto and VZW.
sorry, let me be clear on that, They get their OTA updates from a google server but built by Moto. Most other phones get their updates from Verizon's servers

Also, I looked through the update ZIP for the Droid, looks like it just updates the cert store (why that is coded into the rom is beyond me, causes me more pain with self-signed certs then you can know)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones