• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, i don't think anything is wrong with the phone, not anything major that couldn't be quickly updated, at least. I truly believe it is nothing but some kind of marketing strategy to release in december and let the other two big releases have their spotlight. So what, its in testing, but that doesn't mean there are reasons for the testing to continue other than just stalling for their own objectives. Unless of course verizon confirms directly that there were technical setbacks in testing which they have they have not done .So Rob, thank you for your letter, but i definitely would like a more direct less vague response stating whether actual problems existed that somehow made it impossible to release or give a specific date. Otherwise ill continue to believe they are stalling just because they can

Reactions: sneakking
Upvote 0
Questions about renting a rezound...

I pay $299 today, take the phone home, return it within 14 days, and get my $299 back (minus a $35 restocking fee)? If so, do I get my $299 back RIGHT AWAY and my upgrade back RIGHT AWAY?

That's the only thing that's stopping me from doing this right now. If I'm able to get my money and upgrade back right away (for the nexus), then I'll do it. If not, then I won't do it.

Also, what happens if you accidentally get a scratch on the screen or anywhere on the phone? Are you charged extra?

Upvote 0
I think it's funny ... we hear leaks that say the phone is delayed because of bugs and continued testing, and people say "I don't believe it."

But if we hear a leak that says Verizon is delaying the phone for "corporate" reasons, people say "I KNEW IT! It's all about GREED!"

As Han himself has reminded us, all of these leaks are hearsay. They're all questionable. Bottom line is, we don't know exactly what's going on, and we probably never will. Deal with it.

There better be an interview a month or two after the launch of the SGN telling the story behine the launch. That or for someone to bribe someone for the story.

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
I'm sure this will get lost in the flood of posts, but I wanted to say "thanks" to Rob for taking the time out of what I'm sure is a very busy day and calling/emailing people at Verizon corporate. While I'm excited about the iminent release of this device, as I've stated earlier in this thread (somewhere, lol), I'd much rather wait "as long as it takes" to work out the bugs and have a near-perfect device, than have it now but have to wait for bugfixes/patches to fix simple problems that should have been caught in testing. I'm sick of buying things that obviously weren't tested before release, as I don't like being a beta tester for something that isn't ready for public consumption. The Galaxy Nexus is no exception. It's an expensive device, and I expect it to be perfect (or as close to it as possible) for that kind of money. Take as much time as you need to work the kinks out... I've waited this long, and a few more weeks won't kill me.

Thanks again Rob!

Upvote 0
who said anything about them being evil?

you've made my point for me, all they care about is their bottom line, which includes the boatloads of cash they spent marketing the razr, which isn't selling well....so instead of releasing a phone that is ready to go they are pushing it back because they can't sell their mediocre product that they banked on....and they aren't just pushing it back a few days, it's gone back over two weeks, to ensure that people won't see it during prime buying time (black friday)

instead of being open and honest about it, they are allowing the rumors to swirl of problems with software, hardware, etc. so they aren't seen as the problem

from the tweets from bmx stating that google has delivered the phone as ordered by verizon and saying he wished that google.com/phone was back because the rumors of problems with the phone are baseless it's fairly evident to me that the phone is ready to go, and now with the info from han's insider sister it seals that fact

verizon doesn't owe me anything specifically, but you can't tell me that they aren't trying to spin this so they don't look bad

so i don't see how their handling of the galaxy nexus is defensible at all, which is what i was saying....if they cared about customer relations they would have made more than one announcement by now and wouldn't allow the rumors to perpetuate....making money is part of being a business, but it isn't everything

communication is the key and verizon either doesn't get it, or feels they're so big that it doesn't matter (which is probably, unfortunately true)

Nothing wrong with being in business to make money, that's why we all go to work.

As far as BMX's claims that the phone was shipped ready to go, I'm sure Google & Samsung would say the same about the UK version which we know has issues. Everything here is speculation. We know nothing about what is going on at VZW, it could be another (or the same) issue that has been found on the phone - which, BTW would tick all of us off if they knowingly sold us a defective phone. THAT would be evil and greedy.

Spending extra time making sure everything runs smooth costs no one anything other than VZW.

Upvote 0

I pay $299 today, take the phone home, return it within 14 days, and get my $299 back (minus a $35 restocking fee)? If so, do I get my $299 back RIGHT AWAY and my upgrade back RIGHT AWAY?
You can return it through January 15, 2012. Source: http://www.verizonwireless.com/ReturnPolicy.shtml

And yeah, there's a $35 restocking fee unless you have problems with the phone. Yeah, you can immediately get a Nexus, that's the point.

Reactions: fiatandroid
Upvote 0
Imo, i don't think anything is wrong with. The phone, not anything major that couldn't be quickly updated, at least. I truly believe it is nothing but some kind of marketing strategy to release in december and let the other two big releases have their spotlight. So what, its in testing, but that doesn't mean there are reasons for the testing to continue other than just stalling for their own objectives. Unless of course verizon confirms directly that there were technical setbacks in testing which they have they have not done .so rob, thank you for your letter, but i definitely would like a more direct less vague response stating whether actual problems existed that somehow made it impossible to release or give a specific date. Otherwise ill continue to believe they are stalling just because they can

All this stalling effects when other carriers will get the phone? The exclusivity timer only starts when verizon officially sells the gn is that correct?

Upvote 0
There better be an interview a month or two after the launch of the SGN telling the story behine the launch. That or for someone to bribe someone for the story.

It would make for a pretty interesting documentary IMO, considering all these leaks and speculations and us totally bombarding @VZWSupport with tweets lol.

Upvote 0
You can return it through January 15, 2012. Source: Return Policy & Termination Fee | Verizon Wireless

And yeah, there's a $35 restocking fee unless you have problems with the phone. Yeah, you can immediately get a Nexus, that's the point.

Wouldn't it be better just to purchase through best buy?

I'm reading you can return within 14 days through best buy WITHOUT being charged any kind of restocking fee. Did I read this wrong?

Upvote 0

That's the only thing that's stopping me from doing this right now. If I'm able to get my money and upgrade back right away (for the nexus), then I'll do it. If not, then I won't do it.

Also, what happens if you accidentally get a scratch on the screen or anywhere on the phone? Are you charged extra?
I shound be find since you are going to a store directy. The other poster got his phone online and had to ship it back. I think that was the problem and his phone slip thought the cracks.

I would have combind this post with my last post, but I am typing this on my Nook Color and I can not copy the quote to paste it in.

Upvote 0
Have any of you purchased a phone through best buy?

I'm thinking of renting a razr or rezound through best buy and returning it in about 10 days. If I do this, I should get all my money back, get my upgrade available immediately, and pay no restocking fee, correct? I've read that best buy doesn't have any restocking fees on cell phones.

Upvote 0
Also wanted to point to the OP over on AC. The link i had before was to a repost. What is interesting about the OP is that the poster said the flyer is due out on Dec. 1st. This could make it a lot more legit. What do you think? Here is a link and what he said below:

Verizon will call it the Nexus Prime ! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

From Mynewride,

"i just went into best buy mobile and they showed me a buyers guide that will be released dec. 1. it shows the nexus prime to ve available under 2 yr contract for 299. it doesnt list any specs so the phone could be slightly different.

ad states the following:

"Combine the best features you love from honeycomb and gingrebread os and you get the ice cream sandwich (android 4.0). More customization and faster ways to get new features like 3d maps, voice search and commands, and google +"

2 year plan 299
2 year upgrade 299
2 year add a line 299
no contract 799"

Upvote 0
So I guess I'll start the discussion/anticipation of something happening tonight (announcement?)...

I know you'll hate me for this but you are so adorable with the optimism!

OMG please don't start that again.

Let him have his hope. The world outside high school will thoroughly smoosh that soon enough

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd chime in here guys, the Google Nexus tech specs page in the US now shows 32GB.

www.google.com/nexus

At least we get some good news today!
Sigh. How many times did I tell everyone it was just a typo? Clearly the web designer misunderstood the communication.

But this is some good news. Calm the troops down. :D

Upvote 0
OMG please don't start that again.

All I'm saying is that I'm gonna stay up tonight, if only to see what happens to the Verizon website once the 4 day websale ends... who knows we could get something :O

Whats gonna happen tonight is nada unfortunately.

Well you don't necessarily know that for sure do you? I don't know if anything will happen but I'm gonna stay up just in case.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Well... I walked into a Verizon store today because my wife was absolutely tired of waiting and she won't be using any of the nifty customizations that vanilla ICS will allow, so she wanted a new phone. I was, of course, going to wait for the Galaxy Nexus. But plans are but concepts in the face of that beautiful 720P Rezound screen. We both left with Rezounds and the extended battery. It definitely feels better with the stock battery cover, but the extended battery plus unlimited data will be fun to play with. I'm just setting it up, but coming from the OG Droid, it's an extremely nice experience. I've never dealt with Sense, but I'm not sure what the problem people have with it is. The headphones sound good, but I'm using some nice Klipsch earbuds that work pretty well. Google music streams my 18,000 plus songs flawlessly. The screen is REALLY nice.

Hopefully the GalNex releases within my 14 day window so I don't regret doing exactly what Verizon was hoping I'd do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones