• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
After further thought, I think I've realized exactly what has frustrated me most about this waiting process. It's very simple and all boils down to the lack of information from Verizon to its customers.

Are we waiting for a few minor bug fixes?
Are we waiting for the resolution of major hardware problems?
Are we waiting because of the recent release of the Rezound and Razr?
Are we waiting until black friday?
Are we waiting until Verizon feels good and ready?

To me, someone who is not in any position to know beyond what is speculated in this forum, I get the feeling that Verizon is dragging their feet on this one. I don't expect to hear the answer to any of these questions, but give us something. I've signed up (several times) for email notifications about the SGN...cobwebs.

Ironically a Rezound commercial just came on...definitely no SGN.

Upvote 0
Rob - Thanks, a lot.

My answers for you:

1. If you know the G-Nex will be out by year's end, why is the specific date between now and then crucially important?

Personally for me, it's not "crucially" important, but I would love to know a "date", just to feed this curiosity.

2. If Verizon announced a release date, testing hit a hiccup and the launch was delayed, would you be more angry than if they simply told you "by the end of the year"?

Not in the slightest, I understand things happen. I would be fine, no communication at all is worse. I'd rather know SOMETHING SPECIFIC, rather than something so vague.

3. Does this suffice or would you ask that I do more on behalf of our community?

It suffices. You're awesome for taking your time to help us. You care, and that means a lot to all of us.

Again, thank you.

Upvote 0
All I'm saying is that I'm gonna stay up tonight, if only to see what happens to the Verizon website once the 4 day websale ends... who knows we could get something :O

Well you don't necessarily know that for sure do you? I don't know if anything will happen but I'm gonna stay up just in case.

How late do you plan on staying up? I'm on PST, can you PM me if you are up past 12AM PST?

Upvote 0
This makes no sense to me no matter who says it or how many times it gets said. Lets say VZW has 1000 customers and 500 of them are going to be buying new phones in the near future. 250 are going to buy a RAZR and 250 plan on buying a Gnex - both @ $299 on new contracts. That's $150K. If only 1 person bought the Gnex and 499 bought the RAZR ... that's still $150K!

I know people think VZW and Moto are BFFs and try to help each other out but this is business. Do you really believe that VZW will go against what's best for itself in order to help out Moto? If you do, then you really don't understand how business works.

kopfpatsch.gif

On the flip side - if you owned a business and had 100,000 units (Razr) and 20,000 units (Galaxy Nexus), which one would you need to sell more of?? If Verizon feels that they can get more Razr sales by pushing back the release of the Galaxy Nexus, even by a few weeks, they would definitely do it. Unlike most of us, the average person that goes into a Verizon store to purchase a device will leave with one (especially if their phone is on its last leg), and more importantly, they will keep that phone and not return/exchange it for a "better" device weeks later. Verizon knows this. So, they will push back the release date of the Galaxy Nexus as long as they can, and still not hinder the sales of the Nexus. They know there is somewhat of a "cult" following for the Nexus, and they will have no problem selling the phone. Just take a look at all the mainstream news coverage of the Nexus - this is no longer a phone for the "Geeks" or "nerds" anymore. This is a phone that will be purchased by your "everyday consumer" as well.

Wheew! That was my longest post ever!! I need a margarita :):)

Just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
You can return it through January 15, 2012. Source: Return Policy & Termination Fee | Verizon Wireless

And yeah, there's a $35 restocking fee unless you have problems with the phone. Yeah, you can immediately get a Nexus, that's the point.

My question is sort of the same.

What if the "rented" phone is returned a day or two BEFORE the 14 days and BEFORE the GNEX is released, will they give a refund and the opportunity to use the upgrade later for the GNEX?

For example: I buy the phone this Thursday, then Wednesday the 7th of December, I return the phone and the GNEX is released (for what ever reason) on the 9th of December...Will I be okay?

Anyone know?

Upvote 0
All I'm saying is that I'm gonna stay up tonight, if only to see what happens to the Verizon website once the 4 day websale ends... who knows we could get something :O

Well you don't necessarily know that for sure do you? I don't know if anything will happen but I'm gonna stay up just in case.
Yeah you're right I don't know, but after all the "source info" today and the answer the owner of this site got I'd say the odds are stacked against us.

Upvote 0
Well... I walked into a Verizon store today because my wife was absolutely tired of waiting and she won't be using any of the nifty customizations that vanilla ICS will allow, so she wanted a new phone. I was, of course, going to wait for the Galaxy Nexus. But plans are but concepts in the face of that beautiful 720P Rezound screen. We both left with Rezounds and the extended battery. It definitely feels better with the stock battery cover, but the extended battery plus unlimited data will be fun to play with. I'm just setting it up, but coming from the OG Droid, it's an extremely nice experience. I've never dealt with Sense, but I'm not sure what the problem people have with it is. The headphones sound good, but I'm using some nice Klipsch earbuds that work pretty well. Google music streams my 18,000 plus songs flawlessly. The screen is REALLY nice.

Hopefully the GalNex releases within my 14 day window so I don't regret doing exactly what Verizon was hoping I'd do.

Not to worry, you have until 1/15/2012 to return it for the Nexus.

Reactions: fiatandroid
Upvote 0
  1. blah
  2. blah
  3. I'd like to reinforce that this phone is a Nexus phone, and I wish to be an early adopter of this phone. I personally don't want all the problems to be fixed when I get it. Don't wait for Google to fix any problems. If there are legitimate problems with the phone hardware that cannot be fixed with an OTA update, fix those.

That's true for you and also for me, but probably not for 99% of the market for this phone, and VZW would be ill-advised to give our tiny minority what we want. Bad reviews can utterly destroy a product and give it a poor reputation that it doesn't deserve.

Of course, the counterargument is that sometimes if you wait to fix all Priority 1 bugs before ship then the market passes you by and you're obsolete at launch. A delicate dance.

Upvote 0
This whole thing is beginning to remind of pregnancy. Lots of advice and information...some good, some bad, support groups, lots of preparation, everyone knows what's best, no one agrees, and tons of waiting. You can only guess what's going on...and, the darn thing will present itself when it's damn well good and ready.

Upvote 0
Well... I walked into a Verizon store today because my wife was absolutely tired of waiting and she won't be using any of the nifty customizations that vanilla ICS will allow, so she wanted a new phone. I was, of course, going to wait for the Galaxy Nexus. But plans are but concepts in the face of that beautiful 720P Rezound screen. We both left with Rezounds and the extended battery. It definitely feels better with the stock battery cover, but the extended battery plus unlimited data will be fun to play with. I'm just setting it up, but coming from the OG Droid, it's an extremely nice experience. I've never dealt with Sense, but I'm not sure what the problem people have with it is. The headphones sound good, but I'm using some nice Klipsch earbuds that work pretty well. Google music streams my 18,000 plus songs flawlessly. The screen is REALLY nice.

Hopefully the GalNex releases within my 14 day window so I don't regret doing exactly what Verizon was hoping I'd do.

I had a Thunderbolt but after seeing ICS I can't wait to get my hands on vanilla Android again... Sense felt pretty tacky now that I look back on it.

Upvote 0
This whole thing is beginning to remind of pregnancy. Lots of advice and information...some good, some bad, support groups, lots of preparation, everyone knows what's best, no one agrees, and tons of waiting. You can only guess what's going on...and, the darn thing will present itself when it's damn well good and ready.

I lol'd. Too true! :p

Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with "Yathrib from the Executive Office of Verizon". It was a return call about the e-mails I had sent to John Bianchi (Vice President - National Customer Service). I don't know how Han got so lucky because I wasn't able to get anything out of the call.

1. I was told to wait. I could purchase a refurb phone or borrow one from a friend, but they were unwilling to do anything to help make the waiting easier.

2. It was my own fault that I was paying for a data plan that was not of much use on my current phone. I could have upgraded at any time (and be forced to wait that much longer for what I really wanted).

3. I would never be happy because there will always be some better thing right around the corner.

As far as the release of the Nexus goes, she went so far as to say that Verizon couldn't announce the phone because until there is an official announcement they don't even really know for sure that they WILL be getting the phone. When I pointed out that there had already been an official announcement from Verizon on that point, she kind of side-stepped. She did that a lot actually. I didn't get a clear response on the return policy either. I tried to point out that the return policy on their website did not jive with the CSR I had talked to saying that it was only on unactivated phones. I probably could have pushed harder, but I was trying to hold my tongue and keep the tone pleasant.

I have her phone number that she said I could call with any questions, but considering she didn't really answer any of the ones I asked today, I probably won't bother.

I just remembered though that she did at least promise to text me when the phone was released. I have a feeling I will know about it before her though (from reading this forum).

Reactions: sneakking
Upvote 0
Anyone have a comment on the best buy thing?

I can't figure out why so many are renting phones directly from verizon when you can do it with best buy with no restocking fee. What am I missing? I'm all dressed and ready to go to best buy, but want to make sure I'm not about to make a mistake.

Well then, I guess I'll risk it and hope I'm not reading something wrong.

Upvote 0
Reactions: jimbo1mcm
Upvote 0
Just thought I'd chime in here guys, the Google Nexus tech specs page in the US now shows 32GB.

Sigh. How many times did I tell everyone it was just a typo? Clearly the web designer misunderstood the communication.

The webmaster was told it was dual-channel RAM, so he listed the per-channel capacity. :D

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
All this stalling effects when other carriers will get the phone? The exclusivity timer only starts when verizon officially sells the gn is that correct?
Wow, IDK...but if that's the case, I can see how that would be a huge advantage to Verizon, and a large holiday blow for their competition. The big question is at what point should a corporation chalkup a little competitive advantage to please their own customers. Im sure verizon is aware that this phone also can potentially lure away people from other carriers

Upvote 0
I guess I should air my opinion.... I don't care what the heck the date is as long as the thing gives me 32 gbs of storage, which the google site now says!!! yaaaaay!!!!

Also, thank you to Rob for being there for us.

Steven, you are always helpful, so do you have any thoughts on purchasing a phone through best buy? They have no restocking fee, so why aren't more people purchasing their "rentals" through best buy instead of verizon?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones