• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ladies and gents, it's OFFICIAL for me in Dallas. I just held the BEAUTIFUL and slim Nexus in my hand. It's truly a sexy work of art. My guy said he'd text when it was available to sell, said he had plenty of stock on phones and accessories, and was just waiting.

No sooner did I leave, he text me and said he got the OFFICIAL Verizon notice that 12/09 was the sale date for the Nexus.

I took a picture of it in my hand, just so I could know that Snuffalupugus (sp?) was real till 9am Friday morning.

Upvote 0
Verizon will treat you no better. If you are happy with ATT stay with them.

Happy? Absolutely not. I get 1-2 bars here and 2Mb down on a good day. I was just holding on to AT&T for the "Unlimited Data"

When you say "Verizon will treat you no better" what do you mean by that? Their Customer service HAS to be somewhat better :thinking:

But yeah, I'd have "3G" here until they expanded LTE to my area, but from what I've seen, Verizon 3G is nearly as fast as AT&T HSPA+ in my area.

Upvote 0
Here is a quote from the manual that was posted earlier. For all you people who have never had a Vanilla Android device, this may come as good news to you:

Share your phone's data connection as a portable Wi-Fi hotspot

Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > More > Tethering & portable hotspot.

Check Portable Wi-Fi hotspot.

After a moment, the phone starts broadcasting its Wi-Fi network name (SSID), so you can connect to it
with up to 8 computers or other devices.

To stop sharing your data connection, uncheck
Portable Wi-Fi hotspot.

Rename or secure your portable hotspot​
You can change the name of your phone's Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and secure its Wi-Fi network
when it's acting as a portable hotspot.​
1​

2​
Make sure Portable Wi-Fi hotspot is checked.

3​
Touch Configure Wi-Fi hotspot.
The Configure Wi-Fi hotspot dialog opens.

4​
Set your name and security options as follows:
Change the Network SSID (name) that other computers see when scanning for Wi-Fi networks.
Choose a security option. Choosing
WPA2 PSK adds a password field to the Configure Wi-Fi
hotspot dialog. If you enter a password, you will need to re-enter that password when you connect to
the hotspot with a computer or other device. To remove security from your Wi-Fi network, choose

Open​

5 Touch Save.

i was under the impression VZW had disabled this feature?

Upvote 0
Here is a quote from the manual that was posted earlier. For all you people who have never had a Vanilla Android device, this may come as good news to you:

Share your phone's data connection as a portable Wi-Fi hotspot

Check Portable Wi-Fi hotspot.

After a moment, the phone starts broadcasting its Wi-Fi network name (SSID), so you can connect to it
with up to 8 computers or other devices.

To stop sharing your data connection, uncheck
Portable Wi-Fi hotspot.

Rename or secure your portable hotspot​
You can change the name of your phone's Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and secure its Wi-Fi network
when it's acting as a portable hotspot.​
1​

2​
Make sure Portable Wi-Fi hotspot is checked.

3​
Touch Configure Wi-Fi hotspot.
The Configure Wi-Fi hotspot dialog opens.

4​
Set your name and security options as follows:
Change the Network SSID (name) that other computers see when scanning for Wi-Fi networks.
Choose a security option. Choosing
WPA2 PSK adds a password field to the Configure Wi-Fi
hotspot dialog. If you enter a password, you will need to re-enter that password when you connect to
the hotspot with a computer or other device. To remove security from your Wi-Fi network, choose

Open​

5 Touch Save.

Woah, does this mean it bypasses Verizon's pre-requisite plan? Or will they start charging you automatically if you choose to use it without a plan :(

Upvote 0
I stopped at an verizon wireless wireless zone retailer on my way home and two different reps told me two different things. One said they'll announce it Thursday and it'll be available Friday morning. The other jumped in during our conversation and said they have no information and nothing from verizon and don't know when it'll be released and blah blah blah, he was very defensive and couldn't answer any questions I had on it so I left, I'll call the Verizon corp store to see if they have anything but it sounds like we should not hold our breath for an official announcement tomorrow.

Reactions: harpua
Upvote 0
pics or your lying!!!!!!!! lol

_proxy

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
The most disheartening part about this ending to the nexus release is calling to nearly every Verizon store in my metropolis area (San Francisco area) and hearing no news at all no matter what tactic I try. It's hard to see everyone claiming they have their names on lists, possibly getting it early, or even getting "phone numbers" and sneak peeks at phones... when I can't even get on a "yea we'll add you to a list" while hearing them laugh in the background as if I should know they're lying to me. Guess some of us just have to keep waiting, no matter how much of a larger populated city we live in vs all these podunk towns being named :p

Reactions: harpua
Upvote 0
Hey Everyone! Long time lurker, first post. Just a heads up for any Port St. Lucie, FL people. I just spoke to the corporate store in Stuart, FL. They will have the GN for Friday morning. I have an appt. for 9AM He stated they have gotten a lot of calls lately. I am so happy!!!! Thank you to everyone who filled my days with news, good times, and sad times. Looks like the wait is over!!! By the way original droid owner and damn proud of it!:)

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
Well ladies and gents, it's OFFICIAL for me in Dallas. I just held the BEAUTIFUL and slim Nexus in my hand. It's truly a sexy work of art. My guy said he'd text when it was available to sell, said he had plenty of stock on phones and accessories, and was just waiting.

No sooner did I leave, he text me and said he got the OFFICIAL Verizon notice that 12/09 was the sale date for the Nexus.

I took a picture of it in my hand, just so I could know that Snuffalupugus (sp?) was real till 9am Friday morning.
Where in Dallas? Also it'd be interesting to know how much stock they got

Upvote 0
Woah, does this mean it bypasses Verizon's pre-requisite plan? Or will they start charging you automatically if you choose to use it without a plan :(
Here's what I know.

I am a T-Mobile subscriber. T-Moblie has tethering plans for sale.

I have a Vanilla Android device (Nexus One). I enable and use this feature all the time, without T-Mobile contacting me about purchasing tethering, and without any charges showing up on my bill. (My phone is not and has never been rooted.)

Reactions: TheDarkDesign
Upvote 0
Hey Everyone! Long time lurker, first post. Just a heads up for any Port St. Lucie, FL people. I just spoke to the corporate store in Stuart, FL. They will have the GN for Friday morning. I have an appt. for 9AM He stated they have gotten a lot of calls lately. I am so happy!!!! Thank you to everyone who filled my days with news, good times, and sad times. Looks like the wait is over!!! By the way original droid owner and damn proud of it!:)

Welcome, Flyers! And congrats on joining those of us who FINALLY get to retire our Beloved OG Droids :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones