• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want an ultrabook for my next one. They look freakin sweet.

Me too. Was really interested in the Asus UX31 until I heard the track pad was so bad.

Right now I run windows on a macbook with bootcamp. It still might be the best route to go Macbook Air.

Looking forward to CES to see what they have there. Hopefully they take it up a notch.

Upvote 0
Also is it any wonder why the iPad and iPhone are on two different release schedules? They know not to launch two high profile, high expense devices on the same day

Well, there's a whole process Apple goes through to produce a device, from conception to deployment. An iPhone and an iPad release will probably never overlap simply because Apple would have to do twice the amount of work in the same timeframe, plus manage releasing two major products on the same day, support them, etc. I would think there'd be some overlap with the development teams on the various iDevices as well, so it'd make sense for them to stagger the release cycle. Note that iPhones and iPods typically both get a refresh around the same time since they're mostly made of the same parts.

Verizon has much less to do with the development cycle of a device, so releasing two devices at the same time is much less of a strain on them. Maybe they've got some grand scheme here with buffering their device releases, but I just don't see it.

Reactions: Premium1
Upvote 0
No more lurking for me... I was waiting for VZW to pick up the GS2 - when that didn't happen I decided to wait for the SGN. My OG Droid is limping along, weak battery, acting all buggy on Cyanogen 7.1, screen cracked in multiple places. Three good spiderweb breaks. I just cannot get another phone at this point, I have been waiting for this thing since before VZW even announced they'd carry it. Its comical how much life I have squeezed out of the OG Droid, I bought that the day it was released. I will be following along at work tomorrow, please post if you have any luck in Balt/DC/Eastern Shore! At this point I'd be happy finding a demo to play with.

Upvote 0
Only if you Kiss & Tell.....

Never. Part of the fun is me knowing and you all wondering. :p

I am FINALLY finished with finals, took me only about 8 hours for the last (take home one.) Now if Verizon would just be willing to let me buy a gnex tomorrow it would be a great weekend!

Congrats!

Reactions: redchilicat
Upvote 0
No more lurking for me... I was waiting for VZW to pick up the GS2 - when that didn't happen I decided to wait for the SGN. My OG Droid is limping along, weak battery, acting all buggy on Cyanogen 7.1, screen cracked in multiple places. Three good spiderweb breaks. I just cannot get another phone at this point, I have been waiting for this thing since before VZW even announced they'd carry it. Its comical how much life I have squeezed out of the OG Droid, I bought that the day it was released. I will be following along at work tomorrow, please post if you have any luck in Balt/DC/Eastern Shore! At this point I'd be happy finding a demo to play with.

Welcome!

Reactions: blackwaterTM
Upvote 0
Verizon is off the hook, my frustration is now directed at someone else, someone I can call and tell them how I feel. Verizon, you have 12 hours!

Warning, very OT rant...

So, for those with dogs, especially in the south... Heart Worm... it sucks. Logan had it before I adopted him and was treated the day before I met him. The HWs get in the heart and lungs and live there. The treatment is a very large needle deep into the hind quarters...twice. So, 7 months after treatment, they get re-tested and are hopefully clear. Logan had his treatment in May, tested in December, and standard vaccines and check-up in April.

Anyway, Logan is on monthly preventative now. I went to order yesterday and got an email tonight that my vet denied the prescription because he's due for his test... are you kidding me? To me, this seems like the vet trying to drum up business... sadly for them, if I call and talk to them tomorrow, and they do not issue the prescription... they won't get any more business from us.

Did I mention that I work in rescue and deal with a lot of people who have dogs and are adopting dogs... yeah, they won't be getting my endorsement either.

This is similar to my eye doctor who wouldn't issue a prescription renewal for my contacts because they were out of date... guess what... I'm an adult, I can decide if I either (a) can't see very well and need a stronger script, or (b) am doing damage to my eyes and am experiencing contact induced complications.

/end rant...sorry.

Upvote 0
Me too. Was really interested in the Asus UX31 until I heard the track pad was so bad.

Right now I run windows on a macbook with bootcamp. It still might be the best route to go Macbook Air.

Looking forward to CES to see what they have there. Hopefully they take it up a notch.

Yeah, I will be waiting a while. Need some TVs as my next purchase after the GNex, the one in my bedroom is horrific. Laptop is still working good, so can't justify it.

Upvote 0
yeah... my student's gonna put a solid state hard drive in there! :D

SSD might be the biggest performance kicker there is bar none. Both laptops and desktops respond well to the transplant, and the bang:buck ratio is unbeatable. I'm a believer.

Laptops with weak GPUs [or worse, Intel integrated graphics chipsets] still have that weakness, but are faster everywhere else.

Upvote 0

had the same concerns about the ux31, ended up getting the U36 w a ssd - thicker and heavier but better CPU.
lenovo u300 looks pretty cool for an ultrabook, but launch was delayed from november (sound familar)

Upvote 0
Here goes my Verizon story to add to the soup.

I finally broke down and drove out to my local VZ store to pick up a rental Rezound so I have something to play with since December is slow at work.

The rep there told me that the Nexus is due out on the 15th. When I asked how sure he was, he relied with "As sure as you can be with this phone"

I walked out empty handed. I would have felt bad making the rep do all the work selling me the phone when I knew that I would just be bringing it back.

The Rezound did look pretty nice though. If the Nexus doesn't drop next week I will have to pick one up.

Oh, as far as IPA's go you need to try Lagunitas, it is a small brewery out of California but I am starting to see their beers in Texas. Best IPA I have ever had.

Upvote 0
Off topic computer question:

I am showing my non tech knowledge here - what is the SSD and why is it so good? And I know a couple people I'm pm'ing the next Time I buy a computer!

Solid State Drive. Basically a HDD that uses flash memory instead of ys,pinning disks and is WAY faster in most respects than a HDD.

Upvote 0
Interesting, I loath Sony's and Love HP's. We are making the world go round eh?

We used HP's here ... I quickly put a stop to that and converted everyone to Thinkpads. Like a previous poster mentioned, I just have too much left over prejudice from Packard Bell / HP crap of previous times.

I'm sure its unfounded now, but just can't forget you know? Old habits die hard.

Edit: Forgot to give any reasoning for that! Even the HP pro book stuff, I really don't like the rinky dink feel on the keyboards. They just seem cheaply constructed. I know that laptops are starting to become a commodity, but I just feel like they can do better. It's like the new Dells. I saw what passes for the Inspiron 15R now a days .. yuck. Uneven key placement, uneven keys, humped keyboard, infinite flex, plasticy in a bad way...

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones