• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, For my fellow Buffalonians I just called 3 Corp VZ stores. Two of them (Niagara Falls Blvd, and Walden Ave) are saying 12/15 (Next Thursday) is CONFIRMED. The NFB one simply said it's coming next Thurs. and they have no stock.

But, when I called the walden store, he initially said it was delayed and they don't have a date, then someone in the background said something, he asked them what they said and he told me it was "just OFFICIALLY moved to next thurs" and it must have just happened recently because he hadn't known about it yet. He told me they DO have stock, but would not tell me how many and also that I couldn't see it yet and told me to be sure to be there at 9:00am thursday AM.

If my fellow Upstate and WNY'ers remember, these is a HUGE improvement over Wednesday's "We know nothing" statements!

Thank you for the info. Last night I drove by the one on Walden after work. Only ads in the window were for the Razr and the iphone.

Upvote 0
in 22 minutes i will be calling my Costco to double check to make sure they received their nexi this morning and to double check that i can actually purchase it, if the answer is yes to both of those i will be driving 20 miles away in hopes that this person can actually sell it to me and that the process doesn't get hung up half way through.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I see this statement repeated often 'the phones are in the stores'. Let me repeat this for the fourth time, as of yesterday afternoon I could not find one VZW Corporate, non-corporate, RS or Costco on Long Island that had the phone in stock, not one. This probably reflects a total of 14 different locations that I either called or visited.

So please folks, don't assume that 'phones are in ALL stores', they are not. I can't make that any clearer.

They aren't in ALL stores (I haven't read any claims that they are in ALL stores, just claims that stores have them.) I was personally in a VZW Authorized Retail store (one that looks like a corporate store, but isn't), and the gentleman confirmed that they have stock in that store. I have to assume that they aren't the only store that has stock. So I think it's fair to say that there are probably a fair amount of stores who have phones in stock, and a fair number who don't. I'm sure the hold up on release probably happened smack in the middle of shipping stock to stores.

Very happy I picked up an Iphone 4S last week given the debacle this entire thing has been. I was waiting for this phone and still may pick it up eventually sometime next spring but I'm loving what I got now!

I just called in to a VW store and they took my name down for the 15th after putting me on hold for a bit. They said "it will be released on the 15th"

Since I'm leaving in the morning for a glorious week of sun, crystal clear water, and pina coladas with every meal, I'm giving it til I return to US soil 12/17 to get it together. At that point, if there is still no Nexus, I'm probably searching out an Apple store in the Tampa area and doing the unthinkable.

Well I still have my appointment in 40 minutes (Verizon rep never called me to cancel, I was planning on going with ignorance to delay) but based on zero success so far on the east coast I don't think it's worth my time to try.

I would call first...just sayin'. I wouldn't trust that the rep is all that concerned about whether or not you go out of your way to show up and he/she can't sell you the phone.

Upvote 0
Stability has been the biggest point for me. Android (on the Bionic) was very buggy; restarting during calls, battery getting very hot, CRAPPY camera (insane shutter lag), and terrible battery life. Iphone has been very stable for me so far, camera is absolutely perfect, I can get through an entire day plus some on a single charge.

There are plenty of things I miss though on Android; native navigation, customization, 4G, more apps tend to be free or cheaper, bigger screen, ...

Overall I am very happy with my Iphone and have no regrets. Much more than I could've said with the Bionic.

Interestingly I'm using a Bionic now and have very few issues with it. I'd call it very reliable, at least my unit is. BTW, ever since that 4G outage, my 4G is more solid and robust than ever. Whatever they did seems to have helped the 4G reach and stability.

Upvote 0
So if it is indeed the 15th, why can't Verizon just come out and say so. What's so hard about that?

I think at this point...and several months ago too (haha)
All I want is some official word. I could move on with my life a bit more if I had something to work with. And don't get me wrong, I KNOW this is my own fault, but my OCD won't allow me to completely move forward while being in the dark like this.

Reactions: Tinks
Upvote 0
15th should be the day , they are launching a bunch of LTE startups that day in NH where i am at so that is great :)

I would not doubt it though if we see it go live today sometime with everything available tomorrow in store.

1. The phones are at the stores.
2. Verizon is waiting for a google update most likely
3. once released they announce and sell..

You know, you may be on to something there... Before the 8th/9th timeframe, the rumored date was 11/17 (I know, I know, it was a RUMOR). This also corresponded to a roll-out of LTE markets... Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Upvote 0
OT:

While in the process of getting denied my Nexus this morning in Boston, I did a (very) rudimentary test on a Rezound by having my DINC and the Rezound load the desktop ESPN page at the same time. The Rezound claimed to have good 4G coverage, but the pages loaded at just about the same time (Rezound with plug-ins turned on, mine with plug-ins turned to on-demand).

Was this an aberration? Never played with 4G before (waited for a phone to be worth my time), but something must have been funky here, right? I was expecting to be blown away.

No, I think they're still having data issues. My 4G has been up and down and 3g has been kind of crappy.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the info. Last night I drove by the one on Walden after work. Only ads in the window were for the Razr and the iphone.

NP. For me, this is good news. It is the first info I've gotten out of an official Verizon source.

I've heard so many other stories of people saying the same thing, but I could not replicate the results. This was frustrating, as I did not know whether to believe those other stories or not because no one would tell ME anything. BUT, to hear it from them your self is VERY satisfying. I've got a feeling something will be either coming out officially through VZ channels, or whatever info is hitting VZ stores will be leaked today...

Reactions: nascar01
Upvote 0
I owned an iPhone 4 for about a year, then picked up the Droid X2, and switched back to an iPhone 4S. I had an internal debate going on inside - I liked how open Android was. I liked that I could flash a ROM, that I could install pretty much anything I wanted, and I liked that the entire look of Android could be customized to my heart's content. On the other hand, my screen was terrible, Gingerbread felt like a beta product, and even overclocking my Droid X2 resulted in lagging.

You would've been better off getting a DroidX(1). It's like the screen took a step back with that model.

I am on a Bionic and I did have an iPhone 4 which did everything it was supposed to do fine but I just needed more functionality without worrying about a tethered jailbreak. I always keep my Droid X in close reserve. That's my OG.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones