• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love if it still had buttons on the front side. That is the thing I am going to dislike the most about ICS I think.

yeah i like buttons on the front side, too... but remember the screen is a lot bigger... and you have to reduce the bezel and remove the buttons, so the device won't become to big for pockets...

also i think software-based buttons are o.k. if they disappear while playing a game or watching a movie [what i mean is: no virtual buttons in landscape mode and only in portrait mode (so that you are still able to quit a game/return/...) also you want to have true 16:9 ratio aspect while watching a movie, don't you?]

Upvote 0
Rumors and pics surfaced for the Droid about 4 months before the Droid launched. So yes its strange not one blurry cam shot has surfaced. The vigor/rezound has surfaced and the Droid RAZR has already appeared. The longer this ccontinues the more bleak the outcome. We went through the same thing with the SGSII and look how that one ended up.

Something is amiss in phone land

Upvote 0
Rumors and pics surfaced for the Droid about 4 months before the Droid launched. So yes its strange not one blurry cam shot has surfaced. The vigor/rezound has surfaced and the Droid RAZR has already appeared. The longer this ccontinues the more bleak the outcome. We went through the same thing with the SGSII and look how that one ended up.

Something is amiss in phone land

Again I have a hunch that the reason we haven't seen or herd much from Samsung are the following:

* Taking a page from the Apples marketing strategy, they seldom have blurry cam shots of their product or spec leaks for that matter, lots of rumors and speculation but not much more.

* Protecting from Apples court battles and injunctions banning the release of Samsung products like they have in other countries over the past few months, we don't want them to try to block the release if Apple was to find some concrete info to take to the courts now do we.

The fact that we have blurry cams and spec releases of other phones and not the Samsung Nexus is because none of those phones have the ability to directly compete or impact Apple and start the legal battles that the Nexus will. If this was just another Samsung phone or Moto phone you would have blurry cam shots and spec leaks just like you do with the average phone.

For this reason this new strategy leads me to believe the phone is something special and a threat to Apple and the iPhone....NOT a doomsday scenario for the consumer.

I see things more from a business position and less as a consumer, and if we try to understand that both Apple and Samsung are in a WAR for the consumer and that they have both entered the Legal aspects of the WAR then you have to realize that the old marketing strategy may need to change and we need to get used to it and accept that we may not always get what we want when we want it!

Upvote 0
and now imagine (the worst scenario):

the nexus prime comes out in late november with following specs:

4.5" WVGA Super Amoled Screen (Pentile)
1.2 GHz Dual-Core: Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 Turbo
768MB Ram
16GB Internal Storage, no microSD-Karten-Slot
Only 3G & HSDPA+ with 21Mbit/s (no 4G, no HSDPA with 42mbit/s)
Android 4.0 (ok that's the only good point)
1600mA/h battery
5MP RF-Camera (max. 720p video recording)
No Frontfacing Camera
Plastic-body (no metal as its rumored)
Still Buttons on the frontside
Huge size -> Too big for our pockets
overpriced

This would suck, right?
All of our wait would be wasted, but that wouldn't be Google's or Samsung's fault, because they never said that the nexus prime would be an awesome device...

all just of frickin' rumours...

damn rumours, i hate them and i love them :thinking:

(And i'm still waiting for the nexus prime to arrive in germany ... :D )

This phone would then be considered the Samsung Nexus troll.

Upvote 0
I'd like to wait for the Prime but the Vigor is coming soon and if it's the phone I like I'm jumping. If I get it at Radio Shack,they've got a 30 day return policy so I could go Vigor,if that doesn't work out then jump on the Prime bandwagon or whatever else is hot coming out. Really don't wanna wait till the end of Nov though. Tired of my OG Droid and it's scrawny 256mb ram...

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
Again I have a hunch that the reason we haven't seen or herd much from Samsung are the following:

* Taking a page from the Apples marketing strategy, they seldom have blurry cam shots of their product or spec leaks for that matter, lots of rumors and speculation but not much more.

* Protecting from Apples court battles and injunctions banning the release of Samsung products like they have in other countries over the past few months, we don't want them to try to block the release if Apple was to find some concrete info to take to the courts now do we.

The fact that we have blurry cams and spec releases of other phones and not the Samsung Nexus is because none of those phones have the ability to directly compete or impact Apple and start the legal battles that the Nexus will. If this was just another Samsung phone or Moto phone you would have blurry cam shots and spec leaks just like you do with the average phone.

For this reason this new strategy leads me to believe the phone is something special and a threat to Apple and the iPhone....NOT a doomsday scenario for the consumer.

I see things more from a business position and less as a consumer, and if we try to understand that both Apple and Samsung are in a WAR for the consumer and that they have both entered the Legal aspects of the WAR then you have to realize that the old marketing strategy may need to change and we need to get used to it and accept that we may not always get what we want when we want it!
I'm not going to say you're wrong but if you are right, this will be a first. Every Android phone that has ever released (even blackberry for that matter) goes through the same rumor, leak, blurry cam, focused cam and drop date cycle. So this will be a first if your assesment pans out.

And as they say....there always a........

Upvote 0
I think the SGSII was a tiny success. 10 million units sold worldwide. That's pretty good right? :)

and i think that's the reason why there isn't any official data for the nexus prime...

Samsung wants to keep up the success of the galaxy s2, especially because they finally reeched the US...

think about it, when they already announced the nexus prime, nobody would buy the 'new' Galaxy S2 in America because everyone would wait for the prime 'cause its gonna be the better device...

I think there's a reason why they haven't announced it yet, but i hope that the nexus prime will be announced (and avaiable) in near future, maybe even on October 11th @ CTIA :)

Upvote 0
CTIA 2011 is already compiling finalists for their "Hot for the Holidays" awards. One BIG concern of mine is that they're listing an as-yet unnamed Samsung phone for "Gamers & Entertainment Enthusiasts":

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oZc30-G2hTM/Tn9r_gS5lrI/AAAAAAAAKfk/tjPQGMzQQe0/s600/11%2B-%2B1

Could this be the phone WE'RE waiting for, too?

I REALLY hope this thing (whatever the name is) is an entertainment powerhouse and not a gaming rig. I don't need a gamer phone... I need a beast of a daily driver!

EDIT: The GOOD news is that they've listed it on a CTIA awards list... which is a great indication that we may see something about it October 11th :)

Upvote 0
I'm not going to say you're wrong but if you are right, this will be a first. Every Android phone that has ever released (even blackberry for that matter) goes through the same rumor, leak, blurry cam, focused cam and drop date cycle. So this will be a first if your assesment pans out.

And as they say....there always a........

I agree with this. I find it highly improbable that with this handset passing wifi, bluetooth, supposedly showing up in testers' hands who unfortunately were unable to take pictures of it, except for a weird one where it's hidden behind a smaller SGSII, that there are zero visual leaks about it.

The iPhone 5 is not leak-free. There have been a few articles posting pictures of its components for the last month. A5 processor, cases for it showing off a sharply angled contour, etc. And the iPhone 4 was lost in a bar and showed up in leaked pics.

This is very, very strange.

I mean, unless they have only 1 tester, which I highly doubt, why hasn't it been leaked? Say they have 12 to 20 or more testers all over the country, which is probable. Not one of those people have been able to set the thing on a very average table-top and snapped a quick picture of it?

It's mind-boggling. This close to release, it just does not make sense.

This is another thing that boggles the mind. It's made finalist in a list of awards, even though no one has seen it or even know what its OS looks like? Doubtful. I'm guessing this "finalist" is the Note, and the author merely is assuming it's the Prime.

Upvote 0
The plot thickens even more:

I went to the CTIA 2011 website and looked at all the products in the "Gamers and Entertainment Enthusiast" category (apparently people can vote on them)... and our as-yet named device wasn't there! So how can it be a finalist and not even show up in that category? :thinking:

Maybe it'll win "Most Secret Device" or something...

EDIT: I went back and selected "All Devices" and it still didn't show up. This is bizarre... and I'm having doubts that October 11th will solve any mysteries for us.

Upvote 0
EDIT: ....... This is bizarre... and I'm having doubts that October 11th will solve any mysteries for us.

I'm scared of any official announcement dates. The Samsung one in NY didn't include Verizon.

The HTC one a few days ago was about that girly phone that no one cares about.

Although, if this one on October 11th announces that the Galaxy Note will be available on Verizon starting October 15 for $300 subsidized, I think I'll bite and bid farewell to the Prime. I know the thing is as big as my head; I'll just use a bluetooth headset for the 4 times I actually make a phone call per month. :p

Upvote 0
There is no way that Samsung will announce the Prime at the CTIA Oct. 11 event. And if they do by chance, that means that it will not come to Verizon.

I can not see Verizon announcing a phone 6 weeks before it is released at the store. If it is announced at the event, then that means it will be sold on Oct. 13.

And as far as the prime being made for a gamer. Just forget about that. It's a phone not a damn game boy.

Upvote 0
.......I can not see Verizon announcing a phone 6 weeks before it is released at the store. If it is announced at the event, then that means it will be sold on Oct. 13.

And as far as the prime being made for a gamer. Just forget about that. It's a phone not a damn game boy.

Samsung's making an announcement, not Verizon.

I think that with iPhone 5 coming out at around the same time as this announcement, it wouldn't surprise me to see Samsung announce the Prime in order to hold off sales going to the iPhone. Someone who thinks the iPhone 5 is coming out October 15 but hears 2 days earlier that a much better phone will be coming out in 3 weeks might just decide to wait. It would be a smart move on Samsung's part.

And I think the "gamer" category is still within the phone industry, so its a relative term. It's not like they're pitting it against XBox 360. Kind of like a phone might win for best web-browsing experience, but it's still probably not going to beat Mozilla Firefox running on your 27 inch desktop HD screen.

Upvote 0
Correct. Samsung will not say anything about a phone for Verizon...

Why not? HTC just announced the Rhyme for Verizon. Now, I'm not certain that Prime will be announced; I'm leaning more towards an announcement for Tab 7.7 or the Note.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Prime gets announced. Now, whether the Prime turns out to be Nexus or Charge, that's anyone's guess.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if the Note gets released in the U.S. this year, will that make you guys wait for it and pass up the Prime? That Note sure looks tasty, I have to admit.

I tried the Bionic for 3 days and couldn't get past the bad camera and bad screen. I'm not stuck on ICS, because I'll be slapping my own launcher on it either way. If the Note hits before the holidays, I think that will be the phone to beat!

Upvote 0
This phone would then be considered the Samsung Nexus troll.
Well put. I think the Stratosphere was a little overhyped, too.
The HTC one a few days ago was about that girly phone that no one cares about.
Heh, I think the Android user base is already skewed male, so someone has to cater to the fairer sex, no?
Phone? What's that? Not being sarcastic, it's just funny that we're 32 pages in and I can't recall anybody even discussing actual telephone topics like speaker/mic quality or even call connection reliability. We're all so focused on specs and OSes and apps!
I'm wondering if the Note gets released in the U.S. this year, will that make you guys wait for it and pass up the Prime? That Note sure looks tasty, I have to admit.
If it had ICS, then definitely, especially at $300 -- but I don't think either is likely.
I'm not stuck on ICS, because I'll be slapping my own launcher on it either way. If the Note hits before the holidays, I think that will be the phone to beat!
Can launchers provide any of the major benefits of ICS?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones