• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll NEVER buy HTC.....they are the only manufacturer I would never purchase. I do not like Qualcomm and will never purchase a phone with that processor in it. TI OMAP, nVidia, Exynos are my flavors.

I don't like Qualcomm snapdragon either. It doesn't seem to be as fast as others based on cortex A9 and not so power efficient. I guess that's part of reason why HTC phones are poor on battery life.

Upvote 0
Samsung announces the Galaxy S II LTE and Galaxy S II LTE HD (with a 720p display) for Korea | Android Central

I feel like if you add ICS and take away the buttons on the bottom the specs. resemble the phone headed to verizon (hopefully?).

Interesting. I'm starting to think that the Prime is really going to be an SGSII with HD and LTE. Called Charge 2. If it comes with ICS, it will be Prime. Regardless, I can't imagine that the phone we're waiting for will be dramatically different from what we're seeing popping up from Samsung all over the rest of the world.

Don't get me wrong. If the worse thing we can get is an SGSII with LTE, I'll be a pretty happy guy. Many of us are here on the Prime forums only because Verizon passed on the SGSII.

Reactions: PLANKTON68
Upvote 0
Interesting. I'm starting to think that the Prime is really going to be an SGSII with HD and LTE. Called Charge 2. If it comes with ICS, it will be Prime. Regardless, I can't imagine that the phone we're waiting for will be dramatically different from what we're seeing popping up from Samsung all over the rest of the world.

Don't get me wrong. If the worse thing we can get is an SGSII with LTE, I'll be a pretty happy guy. Many of us are here on the Prime forums only because Verizon passed on the SGSII.

Yeah, I agree, all I really wanted was a SGSII! My wife said we can't move from the Verizon network so was a little upset when we didn't get it, but really, if we get an amp'ed up SGSII, that is good enough for me! I can deal with touch wiz, etc. Anything will be an upgrade at this point to my OG droid!

Upvote 0
There is no way that Samsung will announce the Prime at the CTIA Oct. 11 event. And if they do by chance, that means that it will not come to Verizon.

I can not see Verizon announcing a phone 6 weeks before it is released at the store. If it is announced at the event, then that means it will be sold on Oct. 13.

And as far as the prime being made for a gamer. Just forget about that. It's a phone not a damn game boy.

With the news of the SGSII-HD. I now can see Sammy saying something about the Nexus Prime for Google and the Droid Prime (SGSII-HD) for Verizon at the event.

The specs for the SGSII-HD will be good enough for me.:)

Upvote 0
With the news of the SGSII-HD. I now can see Sammy saying something about the Nexus Prime for Google and the Droid Prime (SGSII-HD) for Verizon at the event.

The specs for the SGSII-HD will be good enough for me.:)

I'd even go so far as to say Sammy used this announcement (for Korea) to out the phone without actually outting it (if you know what I mean). Calling it the Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE means one thing...it's not gonna be the Nexus phone and is most likely the Droid Prime...er...Charge 2.

Upvote 0
I'd even go so far as to say Sammy used this announcement (for Korea) to out the phone without actually outting it (if you know what I mean). Calling it the Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE means one thing...it's not gonna be the Nexus phone and is most likely the Droid Prime...er...Charge 2.

I agree with this. Especially since the specs for the SGSII HD LTE include a 4.65" screen, just like the supposed "Prime" does.

If we end up getting a non-ICS phone, I'll be disappointed. But this SGSII HD will be a much nicer consolation prize than the garbage Bionic.

Reactions: Rhystatic
Upvote 0
I did a little math for you guys to break down the screen viability for ICS:

According to the Korean translation of the Samsung announcement, the HD display is indeed 16:9. With that aspect ratio, the display size is 1.5mm wider (3/4mm per side) than the traditional WVGA 4.3" screen. I'm sure they can make that up in the bezel so it won't affect your device width.

More importantly, the 1280x720 16:9 (1.78 aspect ratio) display would cause mapping issues vs WVGA (1.67 aspect ratio)....

....UNLESS....

....you maintain the WVGA aspect ratio in the viewable are on the new HD screen. That equates to 1200x720, leaving 80 pixels unused in the horizontal (phone in landscape orientation). Well, at 315ppi, 80 pixels equates to about 1/4", so if you skewed the fixed WVGA aspect ratio to the left, you'd leave a 1/4" space on the right side (or at the bottom of the phone in portrait orientation). Hmmmm. My Droid Charge buttons are ~0.25" tall. So now you have no legacy Android application mapping issues AND room for software buttons at the bottom of the screen, but you can still view HD movies in full aspect ratio if you hide those buttons. Interesting...eh?

Upvote 0
I agree with this. Especially since the specs for the SGSII HD LTE include a 4.65" screen, just like the supposed "Prime" does.

If we end up getting a non-ICS phone, I'll be disappointed. But this SGSII HD will be a much nicer consolation prize than the garbage Bionic.

Isn't the SGS2 HD/+ the same as the Celox (AT&T only)?

Upvote 0
There is already a forum for the Samsung Droid Prime... no doubt Steven58 will just rename that one...

I feel behind the times. What are you guys saying? Are you saying that this forum is really serving two phones and that we need to start a new one? If so, let me know or start a thread requesting a new forum in the suggestion box.

Just to let you know, my authority is of a moderating nature, not an administrative one. That's the big boss and that's Phases. I can't rename entire forums, just threads and stuff and deal with infraction issues, etc.

One more thing, you guys make it fun and entertaining to be here. You are valued and appreciated members. :D

Upvote 0
I did a little math for you guys to break down the screen viability for ICS:

According to the Korean translation of the Samsung announcement, the HD display is indeed 16:9. With that aspect ratio, the display size is 1.5mm wider (3/4mm per side) than the traditional WVGA 4.3" screen. I'm sure they can make that up in the bezel so it won't affect your device width.

More importantly, the 1280x720 16:9 (1.78 aspect ratio) display would cause mapping issues vs WVGA (1.67 aspect ratio)....

....UNLESS....

....you maintain the WVGA aspect ratio in the viewable are on the new HD screen. That equates to 1200x720, leaving 80 pixels unused in the horizontal (phone in landscape orientation). Well, at 315ppi, 80 pixels equates to about 1/4", so if you skewed the fixed WVGA aspect ratio to the left, you'd leave a 1/4" space on the right side (or at the bottom of the phone in portrait orientation). Hmmmm. My Droid Charge buttons are ~0.25" tall. So now you have no legacy Android application mapping issues AND room for software buttons at the bottom of the screen, but you can still view HD movies in full aspect ratio if you hide those buttons. Interesting...eh?

Very interesting! I hope, though, that the ICS buttons are customizable with your own icons, or are able to be hidden. I'm on Sweeterhome right now, and my buttons are literally invisible. Actually, there are no buttons, just 4 spots on the bottom that are basically springboards. I'm way into minimalist looks and I'd hate to have 4 buttons that are permanent and unchangeable.

But, we shall see. I really hope that the October 11 announcement gives us something concrete.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones