• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, sure, fine, whatever. Gets back on something I know and NOW you want to switch topics. :D

Said I'd recuse and was agreed with for saying it. But - for you - click the button. ;)

OK, I'll meet you halfway - let's try manufacturing economics - and then I'll drop it, because I specialize in wafer production for a living - it's what my company has done for more than the past decade (as an outgrowth of weapons research, for Namrak ;)).

~~~~~~~~

Case 1 - I have a wafer full of the same SoC, but I can simply change embedded firmware to decrease the capability of one (4460) to get the capability of the other (4430).

So - in that case, it costs me more to produce the 4430 but I'll charge you less.

Not reasonable.

Case 2 - The 4430 and 4460 are actually wired differently in their mask/layouts - yet, I have a product split on the wafer and whenever I produce, I have to produce a preset number of both the 4430 and 4460.

So - in that case, if I get a huge order for just the 4430 while the 4460s are not rolling out as quickly as I'd hoped - I'll just continue making wafers that way. If the 4460 part is on 50% of the wafer, I'll just wastefully warehouse them to meet 4430 orders - or - I'll back-order the 4430 until someone ups my 4460 orders.

Not reasonable.

Case 3 - I can just bin them, they're the same part.

Not according to the design documents, they are not that way one bit.

Not reasonable.

~~~~~~~~

As I insisted before - people are trying to project what they think happens based on old PC processor tricks, way out of date for what is going on today.

To me, making 4430s and 4460s on the same wafer sounds exactly like mixing chocolate chip and oatmeal cookie dough in the same bowl at the same time - so, personally, I don't think they're doing it.

But I could be wrong, I often am, and nothing is impossible.

I simply want a real reference from the industry to support this claim, because I find it outrageous.

If these were low-yield, low-demand chips, sure, I'd buy it. But with the SGS2 moving 10+ million units already as a basis for worldwide Gnex projections and who knows how many 4430 products are going to sell in this lifetime, why would I increase my manufacturing costs?

Upvote 0
A friend of mine just picked up the Bionic...yes he knows the new phones are coming out but he doesn't have $300 to spend...

Anyway, yesterday he sends me an IM while at work and says his Bionic was in his pocket and was very hot. He reboot it and his battery was down to 15% by 11am or so.

Other uses include a coffee cup heater,and this phone would be great scraping ice off my windshield on those cold NY winters....I want the RAZR CALIENTE*

Upvote 0
So they have an insulator for a back, a conductor for a frame, an air/water tight seal, a heat producing center, and glass front that is both poor conductor and insulator (glass). Brilliant!

Glass is actually an OK thermal conductor, even though it's opaque to infrared frequencies. A magnitude worse than steel, but still not a true insulator.

But your point still stands. However, tell me where the heat in the GNex is going to go as well. Plastic back with metal frame. It may be similar.

Upvote 0
Both the OMAP4430 and OMAP4460 processors are clocked at 1.2GHz in recently announced devices, the Droid RAZR and Samsung Galaxy Nexus respectively. Experiences are fairly consistent with both clock speeds, but the 1.5GHz gives an extra boost. The main upgrades to the OMAP4460 processor are an increased GPU performance and improved external memory access performance.

From this discussion with TI that was posted several pages back:

Interview with the Texas Instruments OMAP4 team

Upvote 0
A friend of mine just picked up the Bionic...yes he knows the new phones are coming out but he doesn't have $300 to spend...

Anyway, yesterday he sends me an IM while at work and says his Bionic was in his pocket and was very hot. He reboot it and his battery was down to 15% by 11am or so.

My charge gets hot when charging or on long phone calls. The double layer case its in doesn't help im sure. I hope thru Gnex is better. I cent wait to get rid of this thing! Its freezing and rebooting a lot lately.

Upvote 0
Glass is actually an OK thermal conductor, even though it's opaque to infrared frequencies. A magnitude than steel, but still not a true insulator.

But your point still stands. However, tell me where the heat in the GNex is going to go as well. Plastic back with metal frame. It may be similar.

aluminum frame will spread that heat throughout the body much quicker than steel will. So you won't get the concentrated heat that might be occuring in the RAZR, PROBABLY.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
My charge gets hot when charging or on long phone calls. The double layer case its in doesn't help im sure. I hope thru Gnex is better. I cent wait to get rid of this thing! Its freezing and rebooting a lot lately.

So which is it, freezing or hot? Your so IndecisiveElle.

Too much?

Reactions: drbugsmn and sjael
Upvote 0
P3Droid
Okay normal usage of phone..2 hrs and battery dropped 6% pretty damn good.

Pretty good for LTE device!

I wonder if this means battery percentage scale has changed?

For example, I am on an OG Droid, and currently, battery percentage goes in stages of 10%. So throughout the day, I see 100%, 90%, 80%, etc.....

I wonder if they made it more accurate??

Upvote 0
Both the OMAP4430 and OMAP4460 processors are clocked at 1.2GHz in recently announced devices, the Droid RAZR and Samsung Galaxy Nexus respectively. Experiences are fairly consistent with both clock speeds, but the 1.5GHz gives an extra boost. The main upgrades to the OMAP4460 processor are an increased GPU performance and improved external memory access performance.

From this discussion with TI that was posted several pages back:

Interview with the Texas Instruments OMAP4 team

Upvote 0
I wonder if this means battery percentage scale has changed?

For example, I am on an OG Droid, and currently, battery percentage goes in stages of 10%. So throughout the day, I see 100%, 90%, 80%, etc.....

I wonder if they made it more accurate??

Motorola's hardware limited the battery reporting service to 10% increments. This has never been a problem with other OEM's.

Even the first G1 reported in 1% intervals.

Upvote 0
I think my interest in the RAZR was limited when I heard no HD screen. And then upon hearing no removeable battery, I really stopped even caring about the phone. Now that we know it runs hot, it doesn't even matter.

But, I still like the rezound, barring HTC history with reliability problems and battery life. Yes the processor might be slower, but it's probably fast enough. It's not like galaxy has quad core. Rezound will feel very comparable to gnex in speed.

But I'm just very guarded about pentile screens, pixel density notwithstanding, and lack of SD slot on gnex. Also, like the look of GB with sense better than ICS (pinch to zoom, more home screens, and network data mode on the former, lacking on ICS).

However, to me, reliability and battery life probably tilt the scales in favor of Gnex. However, this is just to say that RAZR isn't even on the radar. And GNEX and Rezound are an extremely close call, at least on paper.

Upvote 0
I think my interest in the RAZR was limited when I heard no HD screen. And then upon hearing no removeable battery, I really stopped even caring about the phone. Now that we know it runs hot, it doesn't even matter.

But, I still like the rezound, barring HTC history with reliability problems and battery life. Yes the processor might be slower, but it's probably fast enough. It's not like galaxy has quad core. Rezound will feel very comparable to gnex in speed.

But I'm just very guarded about pentile screens, pixel density notwithstanding
, and lack of SD slot on gnex. Also, like the look of GB with sense better than ICS (pinch to zoom and more home screens on the former).

However, to me, reliability and battery life probably tilt the scales in favor of Gnex. However, this is just to say that RAZR isn't even on the radar. And GNEX and Rezound are an extremely close call, at least on paper.

Do we know what sort of screen the Rezound even has? HTC hasn't disclosed it, but it could very well be pentile also, couldn't it? If so, I'd prefer a SAMOLED pentile HD, rather than pentile LCD personally.

If it has been confirmed as regular RGB, my bad.

Upvote 0
My Bionic can run a bit hot at times. It's been on the charger for the passed couple hours and SetCPU is saying the battery temp is 91.6, not too bad I guess. Seriously, folks who haven't used dual core and/or LTE are in for a surprise on how warm these phones will run. Can't wait for the quad cores with built in fans!

My DX gets warm, too, sometimes. This was not warm... It was HOT. Like, wow is this phone broken, kinda- hot.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I want to be very clear about how we work here - this public service announcement is for your benefit.

We give a LOT of room here - normally, this level of topic wandering is strictly for the Lounge - because this is a Lounge-type thread.

So - when one of us cautions that we've hit some point too far, we do not need anyone lightening the mood for us. Mod announcements are something for you to avoid.

If you find we're being harsh or unclear, certainly ok to ask us to clarify - here, via PM or via our Private chat with staff forum - your choice. There's never a penalty for asking us what's up with the modding.

But note well - while we want you to keep the good humor we've seen here all along, please don't apply it to our announcements.

Cheers, thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones