• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root **Official GB leak 2 thread** (was Anyone get OTA 4.5.588? Possibly Gingerbread OTA?)

Ok..I was thinking about that persistent sync icon. Does anyone know if there is actually a process running in the background the whole time that you see that or if it is just stuck there by a bug? If it is not causing a battery strain, I can go into the framework and just change the icon to match the bars background color. Then, yes it's there, but it's not noticeable. I really don't need to know when my phone is syncing data. It's not something that I've ever paid attention to before. What do you think?

I have the same issue. Love to get rid of that icon.

Things I have notice since installing GB;

1. Battery life was terrible at first. A couple of battery pulls and it seems to be much better now.
  2. That d@mn sync icon.
  3. I use Twitter and the stock widgets for news updates. There is no count now for the total number of unread messages, and sometimes the news widget has a hard time clearing out messages that have been viewed.
  4. I used the app Status Bar Settings to control things like the ringer, GPS and such. It does not work under GB.
Overall, I do like GB though. Seems less laggy.

Upvote 0
As for the sync icon, I have posted a couple of times (on this page even) about how to get rid of it. There is the hard way (factory reset) or the easy way (titanium pro). The sync is caused by the blur contact sync app. You can use titanium pro to freeze the app, and the icon will go away. You can force close the app through manage apps > all > contact sync and force close it, but this is only temporary and will only last between 5 and 20 minutes before it starts again. The best way to cure this is to do a factory reset. I hope this helps cuz the sync icon drove me nuts to.

Reactions: old.blue
Upvote 0
Nobody knows.

There is a strong possibility that the actual OTA may differ from this file in some way. If the actual Gingerbread OTA is in any way different from this file, future OTAs will not work.

However, you can always use the 2.3.320 FroYo SBF file to go back to FroYo, and move forward with OTA updates from there.

Upvote 0
Cool. Where can I find that file?

Go to this thread:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

Scroll down to "Guide to restoring your Droid X to stock VIA RSD Lite "SBF""

Under SBF files, you want this file:
Android 2.2.1 System Version 2.3.340 Full (VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01)

Link here, but I wanted to show you where to get it, since it also contains everything else you need to know when you go to use it:
http://bit.ly/hfp9iY

Reactions: ludist210
Upvote 0
Thanks binary visions! I'll flash the file to my phone when I get back to work. Need to go get my cable...

That file is only to bring you back to stock so you can accept future OTAs. You don't need to install it until you modify your phone and want to back off the modifications and go back to stock.

If you want to install this Gingerbread leak, go ahead and do it and just download that file and keep it stashed away. Then, if you want to accept an OTA, you can install that SBF file and accept the OTA.

Reactions: old.blue
Upvote 0
Sure... What you did was just overwrite all of your system files with the exact same system files that were already there - that SBF contains the fully intact, fully stock 2.2.1 system that gets loaded on your phone at the factory. So you shouldn't really see any issues.

The great thing about it, though, is if you go ahead and load this leaked Gingerbread version on there, or any other ROM, you can use that SBF file to put yourself back at the stock version - it will remove the custom ROM and load all the stock system files on there.

Upvote 0
From what I've gathered, when 3g is white you can't use market, browser, or anything requiring data transfer, but can make phone calls. Wish I knew why it goes white sometimes. I did a factory reset because of this, but still have problems. Something I did notice is when i did factory reset, 3g was white BEFORE I logged in to google. After I logged in to google it turned blue. So I reset again just to confirm this except this time I skipped the google login and just made the activation call. Sure enough 3g stayed white and of course I couldn't use market but could make calls. So I logged in and it turned blue and everything started working. Sooo my guess is when its blue, your logged in to google.

Reactions: Rick2179
Upvote 0
The problem Im having is mine just randomly turns white and I can't do anything requiring 3g till I reboot. After reboot it turns blue and works for a while. Something I found today is after factory reset your battery manager is in night mode, maybe this is why its turning white. I put it in performance mode and will see what happens tomorrow.

One more thing I noticed was I was playing around with barnacle wireless tether trying to get it to work and it made 3g go white. So I closed barnacle and tryed the browser and it redirected me to verizons sign up page for tethering. And that was the only page I could go to. Only way to get 3g blue and working again was to reboot.

Upvote 0
Problem trying to get this to install

Running 2.3.340
Rooted
used droidx bootstrap- just sits at installing update
used droid 2 bootstrap- just sits at installing update

I let it sit there for awhile but nothing happens so i have to do a battery pull anyhelp?

I SBF to 2.3.340, i downloaded file from OP followed instructions, it wont budge lol

Upvote 0
Problem trying to get this to install

Running 2.3.340
Rooted
used droidx bootstrap- just sits at installing update
used droid 2 bootstrap- just sits at installing update

I let it sit there for awhile but nothing happens so i have to do a battery pull anyhelp?

I SBF to 2.3.340, i downloaded file from OP followed instructions, it wont budge lol

I think you have to use Droid 2 bootstrap & enable debugging.

Edit: Wait, I may be wrong. I thought you were trying to install the 'rooted' 3 file GB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones