• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official GSM Hero 2.1 Thread

Because it invalidates any warranty or insurance we may have on the phone?
Because some are not comfortable with doing this in case it bricks their phone?

There are plenty of reasons why someone may be reluctant.

You can go back to stock rom if you need to use the warranty... so one less to the list :p

I also had my reasons, but the time that took remove them all :p

Upvote 0
The time is flying, and my interest in 2.1 eclair official update is flying also. I consider rooting my phone with everyday that passes. The "you can brick your phone" posibillity, is not a real problem if you use a good rom, a good explanation guide (vids. are very helpful too). So, who has guts, has glory & eclair 2.1 on the hero.

The rooting is a good idea for me mainly because, you can upgrade to 2.2 later on, you have APPS2sd, wich is a good way to keep your phone's memory clean so that the phone can perform better. Basically, is like choosing between Microsoft's Windows XP and Windows XP made by people like us. You know that windows xp by microsoft is legal than xp made by someone, but you are aware that the Illegal xp is much better and much faster (in theory) than Microsoft.

So, the choise is yours. :)

I almost forgot: Today I had a strange issue with my phone, if i received a sms, and i read it, the sms is still showed in the notification window, and it doesn't dissapear unless I click "clear notifications". This is very strange, I didn't have 1 single issue with my phone until this f^^^g FOTA update. hTC is playing with us.

Anyone out here has the same problem like me? The poor Wi-Fi signal that I was trying to explain in my previous posts?

Upvote 0
You can go back to stock rom if you need to use the warranty... so one less to the list :p...
Or if you're honest, leave it on the list.

...i guess France is their 'guinea pig' or something...
Orange is a French company I believe, so I guess it makes sense to treat your home market as a priority.

Upvote 0
Unless it updated on its own, no I havent had nothing. Im on orange UK and it says thats my build number and then something like CL RELEASE KEY## after it.

2.73.61.66 is the most recent update for Orange but it would seem that users are expected to receive an OTA before the 2.1 update.

In France, Orange have released/are releasing an OTA prior to full 2.1 so I would imagine the same would apply here.

Upvote 0
You can go back to stock rom if you need to use the warranty... so one less to the list

Technically the warranty is void as soon as you flash an unofficial firmware. Also replacing the original recovery image and radio ROM are required, which introduces more complication. Remember too that "root access" is just that.... every app/process on your handset potentially has SU permissions. That alone is enough to make many users think carefully about the decision to install a custom ROM.

Neither route is "right" or "wrong", it's a matter of personal choice.

@aggrodoc: check out the table in post #756.

Upvote 0
Do u have any evidence about Orange releasing OTA in France?

French users have commented on the table that I posted earlier.

They were saying that despite the table saying 25th June for the OTA, some of them had already received it (as we have been in the UK).

Here:

Google Translate

Comment:

"ricolabricot
June 21, 2010 at 16:24
Thank you for the news these days but it's weird because the update system FOTA to start a week ago and not June 25th ...

Reactions: aggrodoc
Upvote 0
Technically the warranty is void as soon as you flash an unofficial firmware. Also replacing the original recovery image and radio ROM are required, which introduces more complication. Remember too that "root access" is just that.... every app/process on your handset potentially has SU permissions. That alone is enough to make many users think carefully about the decision to install a custom ROM.

@aggrodoc: check out the table in post #756.

So basically you sugest us NOT installing any custom ROMs because it's a hard way to reflash the original recovery image and the apps. can take control over your phone? :)

Upvote 0
So basically you sugest us NOT installing any custom ROMs because it's a hard way to reflash the original recovery image and the apps. can take control over your phone? :)

No, he is pointing out more reasons to stay on the official release than those listed, and goes on to say:
Slug said:
;)

Upvote 0
What is it that most people are waiting for and getting so annoyed about? Is the 2.1 update really going to make that much difference to your Hero?

There are a couple of features that I'm looking forward to, mainly proper Bluetooth features, but nothing major.

Genuine question, not trolling.

I personally think a phone like the Hero should come with Full Bluetooth capabilities as standard. It`s like a laptop without a USB port.. (sorry that`s the only analogy I could think of right now):thinking:

Upvote 0
What is it that most people are waiting for and getting so annoyed about? Is the 2.1 update really going to make that much difference to your Hero?

There are a couple of features that I'm looking forward to, mainly proper Bluetooth features, but nothing major.

Genuine question, not trolling.

From my point of view, three major things I'm looking forward to :

(1) - Google maps navigation.
(2) - Access to new market apps
(3) - Working bluetooth

Upvote 0
I must admit I was disappointed when I got the Hero and realised it couldn't perform what I thought were basic Bluetooth functions. Same for streaming media from my home network, not happening. All things that my previous N95 could do happily!

They call it progress.

I'm not too worried about Google Maps navigation as I use Co-Pilot, which is fantastic.

That said, still delighted with the Hero and can't see myself ever leaving Android.

Upvote 0
Content removed by OfTheDamned

Bit harsh but you can get unbranded handsets from carphone warehouse and phones4u, im using mine now on o2 and my lil sister has one also but on orange, she was told by orange (who didnt have a clue) to phone HTC who then told her to update via website to roll back to previous unbranded firmware to get FOTA even though she had the dreaded .66 version. Its an option for those on orange just now to try or just be patient and wait it out.

Aint it better to have a near perfect ROM than one that is buggy and wont work properly till another update is out?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones