• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

if this is accurate im getting more and more ANXIOUS!
could this really give u an idea of how it should measure out?

Of course it could, aside from the depth (.39") it gives you a good idea of the dimensions because it is just raw measurements and inch is an inch regardless of if it is a piece of cardboard or a phone.

ylexot said:
I've been saying the same thing ever since I saw the dimensions (except that I have a Storm 1).

Oh, and the screen is almost a full inch larger than the Storm :D

I got my boss to buy me a S2 when they released. :)

Upvote 0
Join the forum just for this thread!! The ads that were leak today make it look even more amazing.

What I was wondering if we can get any confirmation on this "720 DPI" (which probably should say 720P) screen on the X they are talking about on the advertisement. I would have chalked the whole thing up to marketing mistake since even a 720p screen would be the highest res phone out but they mention it twice.

Upvote 0
Join the forum just for this thread!! The ads that were leak today make it look even more amazing.

What I was wondering if we can get any confirmation on this "720 DPI" (which probably should say 720P) screen on the X they are talking about on the advertisement. I would have chalked the whole thing up to marketing mistake since even a 720p screen would be the highest res phone out but they mention it twice.

I myself am not very familiar with resolution, pixel density, etc, so unfortunately I can't verify that the quote below is correct (it certainly sounds compelling though). I saw someone post the following comment on the Phandroid article.

"When I saw [the] quoted 720dpi pixel density in the second ad I was confused because that would mean [the phone would have an] insane 2562 x 1440 resolution, but the ad is misleading because they are counting the subpixels. Real density is therefore 240ppi"

Upvote 0
I myself am not very familiar with resolution, pixel density, etc, so unfortunately I can't verify that the quote below is correct (it certainly sounds compelling though). I saw someone post the following comment on the Phandroid article.

"When I saw [the] quoted 720dpi pixel density in the second ad I was confused because that would mean [the phone would have an] insane 2562 x 1440 resolution, but the ad is misleading because they are counting the subpixels. Real density is therefore 240ppi"

:(((((

It's like you just told me Santa isn't real

Upvote 0
:(((((

It's like you just told me Santa isn't real

lol.... ippikiokami, you may be over estimating how much of a difference a higher resolution would make. There are comparison pictures of the iPhone 4 and some other phones like the EVO. The sole purpose of the pictures is to zoom in really close in an attempt to show how much better looking the iPhone's higher resolution is. Guess what, it's pretty hard to even tell which is which when they zoom in so close than you can see anything but a piece of what's on the screens.

My point is, go into it with an open mind. I think you'll probably be surprised at how wonderful it looks.

Upvote 0
Haha I'm actually kidding about that.

One of the more useless "features" that apple has hyped recently is this "retina screen". Esp in the screen size they are throwing out there. It's funny how basically the biggest experience changer between the iPad and the IPhone or IPod Touch is it's screen size. But apple failed to up the size at all in the new iphone.

It's a nice to have feature. And I was hoping it would have it just to quiet the iphone fanboys. But I'd rather have a bigger screen or much increase usability in daylight than a higher res screen. I've had an iphone until recently and pretty much the last complaint I would have had about it is the resolution even at it's low 480x320.

Anyways i do find it interesting that even with all the hype about the high res apple screen on all of these blogs they failed to catch on the possibility that this Droid X has an even better screen (note Droid 1 had IPS already if i have my facts straight).

Shows how much apple has a hold of our minds.. and dreams ;P

Upvote 0
DroidFiend said:
motorola/verizon, if you're reading this, can you just tell us when this is going to be released already or when pre-ordering will be available. I'm already hyped to my maximum level for this phone. thanks, love you.

Aww this is so cute, with the love you at the end.... Haha. I'm with you, can you leak something vzw, I mean we've seen the commercial script. We probably know what the droid "does" by now, we just want to hold it!!!

Upvote 0
I've decided to make the upgrade up to a smart phone. I don't necessarily need it, I think it will just be useful at times. I am trying to decide on which phone to buy. At this point I'm considering the Droid X/Shadow, 2 or wait a while for the Pro. What will the the big difference between say the Droid X and the Droid Pro? Obviously different hardware but I was wondering what the advantage of have a 2ghz processor vs 1ghz processor for a normal user? Same with the extra RAM. I will mainly use the phone for web browsing, light gaming and of course calling.

Upvote 0
I've decided to make the upgrade up to a smart phone. I don't necessarily need it, I think it will just be useful at times. I am trying to decide on which phone to buy. At this point I'm considering the Droid X/Shadow, 2 or wait a while for the Pro. What will the the big difference between say the Droid X and the Droid Pro? Obviously different hardware but I was wondering what the advantage of have a 2ghz processor vs 1ghz processor for a normal user? Same with the extra RAM. I will mainly use the phone for web browsing, light gaming and of course calling.

I think the Droid pro is supposed to be a world phone actually. I don't know about the 2ghz processor

Upvote 0
I just did a cardboard mock up of the size (just a hair over 5" x 2.5" and yes I stole the idea from another poster) and I think people are grossly over estimating how big this phone will be. It is only about .5" taller than my Storm2 and easily fits in my pocket with no effort at all.

Just my .02 on the matter but it was one more think that is making this phone a definite buy for me.

LOL! I did the same thing yesterday. It's not as big as some are making it out to be.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Gpaint
Upvote 0
Did you guys see this?

More Droid 2, Droid X details surface in leaked commercials -- Engadget

We'll be able to access media on our PC's from the X.

Also, the Droid 2 will have a 1GHz processor (not Snapdragon, OMAP). This confirms why the Shadow trounced the N1, Incredible, and Galaxy S in Quadrant running 2.1. This 1GHz OMAP3 is gonna be FAST!

A Guide linking to the Engadget article over the Phandroid one?!?! (Droid 2 and Droid X Ads Get Teased, Droid 2 Gets Clocked to 1Ghz, X Flies On Plane | Android Phone Fans) GASP! lol

I'm pretty pumped that they went with the OMAP 1 GHz. I still am confused about one thing though: the 3630 seems to run at around 750 MHz, and it's HIGHLY unlikely that they would overclock it right off the bat. If anything, companies usually want to underclock the processor.

This makes me think it has to be the OMAP 3640 which naturally runs around 1GHz. Here's why I'm confused: on the manufacturer's page that gives details about the 3640, it doesn't mention HDMI output capability: the 3630 page DOES have that capability listed. That said, I have heard other people point out a phone that's running with a processor that isn't supposed to support HDMI out, but does anyway.

I highly doubt we'd be seeing a OMAP 4xxx, so what gives?!

Also, just to play devil's advocate --> I'm not sure how much confidence to put on those quadrant benchmarks... people should be aware that they aren't just about processor speed (http://androidforums.com/motorola-shadow/98505-quadrant-benchmarks-droid-x.html). I'd personally put more weight on maddigital's statements about the Droid X feeling faster and smoother than the Incredible (I'm pretty sure he said that a while back...).

Upvote 0
dblack9 said:
i hope motorola ships out more than 150k units initially.
please learn from HTC.
although i will be preordering if available.
Using the droid sales as reference, I'll say that motorola might not run into the same issues as the droid incredible, since they are not using amoled, but TFT..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones