• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official OTA Update Discussion

I just went on at&t's site and searched for this "article" and I was able to find it. So, yeah, it's legit.

I would avoid trying to update right now because the file may not even be available yet. You'll waste your once-per-24-hour server ping.

Try later this afternoon if you can be patient :p

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just checked, no updates here. Will have to wait 24 hours for another check. Also, in those AT&T instructions, why is SIMM removal required?

Sometimes sim cards fry after these kind of updates. Ive seen it happen with Iphones and Blackberries quite a bit, and if you do not want to lose the contacts on your sim card, you best take it out.

Upvote 0
More info on JH7 here. XDA thread's up to 45 pgs as of this post.

I really hope that article you linked to is correct! I'd love "firmware brings even further stability and improvements to the Galaxy S device...this latest leak is far faster and improved...Lagging and stalling seems a lot less prevalent, and the GPS is much improved. Most are able to see stable and consistent satellite locks outside...."

Upvote 0
@GalaxySsupport posted the following on Twitter about an hour ago, no mention of an AT&T update. You can, however, see the Epic updated being mentioned a few post earlier and that will be pushed to all in a few days.

@jeffnewbold Hi Jeff, I've not heard anything that contradicts the statement made for September release. Your patience is appreciated. ^Leah

Other than the link to AT&T posted earlier, AT&T forums are quiet and show no signs of an update being pushed out.

Upvote 0
So if JH7 is out and its not a big deal to apply....why are people waiting and not using it? Also, if I updated to it what happens when samsung/att release an update and Im not on what version they expect me to be.
The leaked version of JH7 is available. We're waiting on the official update from AT&T (@ least I am).

They'll prolly check your version # & if it's equal to whatever they're pushing, you won't get that update from them.

Upvote 0
I think there are some valuable fixes in there even for us, and especially for others. For example the messaging.

But I'm concerned that with this coming out so close to the end of month, that we will not be seeing the GPS fix.

I realize some folks say theirs works fine, or that some of the various workarounds fixes it for them. But I'm not convinced, and want a real, official fix, that will consistently work for all.

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
LOL... No GPS fix!?!??

For those of you saying JH7 will fix the GPS, check the xda forum again. More people said it didn't help than said it did.

I flashed to JH7 when it first came out (it was leaked a month ago) and still had shitty GPS. So I took back the captivate the following day. Glad I did because it looks like you guys are stuck with a phone that doesn't completely work.

Now I have an HTC aria. It is running Froyo with CM6 and it kicks ass... Oh, and my GPS works awesome.

Sorry to troll around in here but I keep checking to see if the GPS was ever fixed. Good luck to all of you!

Upvote 0
JM ... good you love your small phone.

HTC is a nice product. Aria too small for me.

I'm still holding my breath. (Call an ambulance please!):eek:

Yeah... I do miss the 4" AMOLED. If this was an actual fix rolling out today, I would consider going back to the Captivate as I got ATT to give me a new 30 days to return the Aria. That ends tomorrow so I guess I'll have this phone for 17 more months or so.:D

Upvote 0
There is still some "official" evidence that Samsung plans too keep the september GPS fix promis for us. Now, we get word of this firmware update that does not include the GPS fix. Somehow, i find it hard to believe that they would give us this JH7 update, then in just a few days, give us another one? Seems kind of wierd.

But here is hoping!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones