• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Samsung Fascinate Gingerbread 2.3 Speculation Thread ***

They have removed the GPS on/off indicator from the top of the screen which is a minor pain because you cannot tell at a glance whether you have your GPS on or not. You will need to pull down the top drawer and check whether you have it on from there.

Well.. Yes and no.

When the GPS is in use, there is a different GPS icon in the notification area than when the GPS is not in use. If the GPS is not in use, but still available, it is essentially off and not using power anyway. See below:
GPS%252520off.jpg

GPS%252520on.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for that response, Don S. I may possibly have a problem with my phone after the update. I can't seem to lock in my GPS and that's probably why I couldn't see the GPS icon. I went for a walk at lunch, turned on GPS and Google Maps and my phone would not lock into any satellites. Will have to check in detail at home this evening.

It is early days yet but my first recharge after GB update, gave me about 15 hours of battery life. With FroYo, I was getting 24-30 hours with the same usage. Will be monitoring this.

Upvote 0
Hey all, small issue. I downloaded the update on my wife's phone. Halfway through the installation, it fails and reboots normally with 2.2.

This is a replacement Fassy that came with ED05. It's rooted, but haven't uninstalled/frozen any apps. Any thoughts on why the update fails?

Thanks.
I had the same issuse mines was also rooted with know custom roms, what i ended up having to do was go al the way back to 2.1update 1 and do manual ota upgrades to get back to GB, it will wipe your phone but not the SD card. You also have unroot if i find the Link i will link you to the same intrstuions that i followed.

Reactions: bigshotproducer
Upvote 0
Don, could you create a ROM for us and post it somewhere? I do not have service on my Fascinate, and it seems that Samsung/Verizon won't let you update UNLESS you are connected to their service. WHAT?!

Yea for some reason you have to use service to download it... I tried using WiFi at first but then the phone told me it would turn off WiFi and asked if this was okay because data usage and blah blah blah.. I have unlimited data.

Upvote 0
I am currently in the process of going back to ED05 using these instructions. I hope going to gingerbread solves my signal issues.
i guess i can't post links, The instructions are on xda developers

How did things work out for you? I am planning to go back to FroYo, check my GPS is working and then try updating again to GB and hope GPS works this time.

Upvote 0
My experience has been positive. The OS is much faster than 2.2. I'm not sure why, but when I would hit my home screen it could take as long as a minute. I was going to wipe my phone clean but then we got this G-Bread update. No lag time so whatever was running slow was fixed with the update. Overall, this was a long leap forward I feel as if I got a whole new phone.

Just like Charlie Sheen I'm #winning!

Upvote 0
So I've been having a few issues and want to know if anyone else is or knows a fix. I used to have 4 "buttons" on the bottom of the screen that stayed there regardless of whether i switched between screens. They were phone, messaging, contacts, and applications, but after GB it seems the messaging button has disappeared. I know that I can get to messages through applications, but it was just so much more convenient to have it there. Anyone know why this happened or how to fix it? I'm also having the same gps problems as everyone else but i don't really care as much as getting my messaging back ha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones