• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [OFFICIAL SOLUTION] 3G issues on the 3D?

funspeeds.jpg

YAY! Regretting my move to Sprint oh so very much.

Im with you I had Vibrant on Tmobile and speed on that were 5x faster. I really hope I can fix the 3g speeds.

Upvote 0
AGREED

my wifi is slightly more sensative than my evo was in spots where i was certain they wouldnt change signal for more than a very small time

its benefit though from having better wifi is with the 3g issues being so crappy that on wifi (work , home ) atleast im getting some speed.

any update on a fix with this btw?

theres time where 3g wont turn on period and im just standing there waiting

if this continues im complaining to sprint.. im paying 20 dollars on both my lines extra for these speeds? no give me my money

The 10/line they're charging for all smartphones now.

Sounds like your 3G coverage is pretty crappy.

In areas where Sprint works, it's great - otherwise - not so much.

I had a bad phone, getting it replaced was the answer.

I have the same 3G speed issues. I'm getting like 20Kbps download speeds. Called Sprint customer service to get the phone hard reset, re-provisioned, etc... To make a long story short, I wasted an hour of my time to be told:
1)There's a bad tower in your area. When I explained that I was having the same issues in a totally different town, the lady told me to hold on and then I got transferred to another tech support rep somehow that I had to explain the whole thing over again.
2) The new rep proceeds to tell me to do the same thing the lady had me do, puts me on hold and comes back and says hes found the issue. He proceeds to tell me that I have a 4G phone and that 4G isn't offered in my area, and that's why its slow, because 3G is 10 times slower than 4G. :thinking: I then have to explain that, yes I understand that 4G is faster than 3G, BUT my 3G speeds are like almost 100 times slower than what they should be.
3) They give me a e-ticket number and tell me to take it to the sprint store to have tests ran on it.

I should of known I was going to get this when I called. I always get the dumbest tech support reps on the planet! :mad:

I hate these stories and I feel for ya, I really do. Here you are, being their ideal customer for support, trying to follow their rules. I'd contact corporate, I really would. I'd even go so far as to email Dan Hesse's office with a story like that - that's just abuse right there.

To you and jscarano - I think you both have bad phones. I did. Replacement is the only fix.

Upvote 0
thanks i guess ill just see if the next phone they send me is good otherwise i guess im screwed considering im pretty sure i dont have insurance or anything like that for it

You should have a 30-day return protecting from the screw-over, and you can add insurance any time this month for like 8 bucks a month - it carries a $100 deductable and it's pricey over the long term, but can work out cheap if some catastrophe happens in 6 months.

Upvote 0
I followed these steps but my phone did not restore my information after the factory reset. Did I miss a step?

Following your reprovisioning, hard reset or new phone - homescreen, Menu, settings, Privacy -> check on "Automatic restore" -- settings, Accounts & sync, Sync all. Your previously loaded apps and important settings will now update to your phone, no sweat.

Upvote 0
Not sure what happened then, but other than my Google info everything else is just like I started it up on day one.

When you first setup the phone there was a Section in the Setup Wizard asking you if you wanted to use Google to Backup Apps and Info. If you did not check that off the first time you set up the phone then iI am not sure it would work. You should have gotten the same wizard after a Hard Reset with the same section to check off. As for the Exchange settings, this doesn't hold onto email account setups so you would have to reenter that info.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I'm wondering what you guys think... do I have a ("the") problem, or just bad coverage? Using speedtest.net, my median download is around 260 kbps. The best I ever got was 532 though (but that was only 1 time out of 20 and I never got it again). My median upload is around 50 kbps; the best I ever had was 106 kbps. Mostly getting around 260 down is pretty terrible in my opinion (nearly unusable), but obviously, that isn't as slow as some of you have reported. So whatcha think? Does the fact that I got 532 one time imply the phone is ok, and my area is just crap?

For me, with all my apps and configuration, it takes several days to get it all the way I want. When it comes to resetting, I totally appreciate EarlyMon's wisdom of "might as well do it now", but I'm not sure I want to try it just to "see what happens" ("it would probably fix it" would make it easier to stomach for me).

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm wondering what you guys think... do I have a ("the") problem, or just bad coverage? Using speedtest.net, my median download is around 260 kbps. The best I ever got was 532 though (but that was only 1 time out of 20 and I never got it again). My median upload is around 50 kbps; the best I ever had was 106 kbps. Mostly getting around 260 down is pretty terrible in my opinion (nearly unusable), but obviously, that isn't as slow as some of you have reported. So whatcha think? Does the fact that I got 532 one time imply the phone is ok, and my area is just crap?

For me, with all my apps and configuration, it takes several days to get it all the way I want. When it comes to resetting, I totally appreciate EarlyMon's wisdom of "might as well do it now", but I'm not sure I want to try it just to "see what happens" ("it would probably fix it" would make it easier to stomach for me).

Thanks!

Remember - speedtest is an approximation on a good day. So far, your results suggest your 3G is ok, just variable for your area (normal).

You might want to visit next the method linked at the bottom of the OP to move off of the Sprint proxies.

Reactions: SuperC142
Upvote 0
Remember - speedtest is an approximation on a good day. So far, your results suggest your 3G is ok, just variable for your area (normal).

You might want to visit next the method linked at the bottom of the OP to move off of the Sprint proxies.

Thanks EarlyMon! I just might do that. I tried speakeasy too (which is who I usually use on my PC; they seem to be pretty consistent/reliable for me) and I'm getting a fairly consistent 400 kbps or so, making me feel much better.

The first time I thought something was wrong was in the parking lot at Carl's Jr. (Hardee's on the east coast) and was using their "check-in" app to spin "The Wheel of Awesome". It said "Loading" for, literally, 5 minutes while I waited for the Wheel of Awesome to load. Then, I discovered this thread and thought "uh oh". Thankfully, I'm on WiFi 95% of the time (I don't get out much), because the 3G is MUCH slower than what I ever had at T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
I dunno man. Those are some pretty low speeds to get consistently. Try testing the speeds in different locations.

I agree, I just wasn't sure if it was Sprint (I'm new to Sprint) or a borked phone. I'll probably be out and about this weekend and will give it a whirl. It's pretty painful, I feel like all I'm missing are the screetching, dial-up modem sound effects. ;-)

Upvote 0
Let's not wear the rose colored glasses here - Sprint is a great service. BUT - like all carriers, it is NOT good at giving consistently great coverage in all states, cities or neighborhoods.

Maybe Sprint just won't be up to your needs where you live. Major bummer, but it happens.

If that's the case, but you still like the 3vo, take heart - a GSM version with T-Mobile frequencies has been put through the FCC recently. No promises, but it's possible we'll be seeing the 3vo not just in Europe and Canada, could come to the other smaller carrier as well.

If your web loading is universally atrocious (go by that, you've suffered enough speedtest madness) compared to what friends' phones can do in your neighborhood on other carriers, then maybe you'll have to bite the bullet and look elsewhere.

Last thing I'm trying to do is rain on the great loyalty you're showing, but neither do I want you misled just because our mileage varies - honesty being the best policy here at AF.

Go to Sprint, tell them you're unhappy to the point of not keeping the service, please give me a new 3vo to try to be sure - it couldn't hurt.

Upvote 0
I would recommend anyone having 3g issues to have the phone checked out at the Sprint Store.

Thanks to EarlyMon's posting I took my phone into a Sprint store to have my phone checked due to poor 3G connectivity. My Speedtest scores were usually around 80-120K download and I usually closed the app before it would finish uploads because it took too long. I did the various hardware resets etc...ended up being bad hardware (probably the antenna). I ended up with a new phone.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting your issues EarlyMon...I probably would have struggled had I not thought of there being a hardware issue. I wonder how often this is happening though.

One other thing...Sprint's customer service was great through the whole thing. Thought I'd say that since most people tend to highlight negative encounters.

Upvote 0
My 3vo is getting max 126 download and even worse upload. Four people in my family have EVO 4g, they are consistently getting close to 1 mbs and similar uploads. Tried the proxy fix and everything. My speeds are typically better where I live, but are horrible this holiday weekend. Could it be the towers here don't like the 3vo, or should I exchange the phone?

Thanks

Blue

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

Apologize for the xda app signature. Just trying to get a several opinions so I posted in two places.

Upvote 0
If I've got 2-3 bars at most while performing the Speedtest using 3G, would the following results be good, average, or bad?

Ping: 116ms
DL: 0.98 Mbps
UL: 0.52 Mbps

I'm not sure what "good" would be for 3G in my area (east of Indy.)

My WiFi results:
Ping: 62 ms
DL: 6.18 Mbps
UL: 0.46 Mbps

Odd that my WiFi upload speeds are slower than my 3G... haha

Upvote 0
If I've got 2-3 bars at most while performing the Speedtest using 3G, would the following results be good, average, or bad?

Ping: 116ms
DL: 0.98 Mbps
UL: 0.52 Mbps

I'm not sure what "good" would be for 3G in my area (east of Indy.)

My WiFi results:
Ping: 62 ms
DL: 6.18 Mbps
UL: 0.46 Mbps

Odd that my WiFi upload speeds are slower than my 3G... haha

Those are some good 3G results.

Do some speed tests on your laptop through your wifi. Your 3vo should have similar results to your laptop.

Upvote 0
Well, after a week of atrocious 3G speeds (250 kbps, which isn't nearly as bad as some of the numbers posted here), suddenly (yesterday) everything inexplicably started speeding up. Now, I'm getting a solid 800 kbps+. I have to wonder if maybe they performed some sort of network/hardware maintenance in my area..? Consistent 250 for a week, and now seemingly consistent 800+. Strange. 800 isn't the best in the world, to be sure; but it's certainly livable (indeed, it's a noticably faster than my previous T-Mobile account). Thank goodness I didn't have to start from scratch with my phone again, I think I'd cry! haha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones