• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*OFFICIAL* Xoom vs iPad 2 Discussions

For me the Xoom screen is just fine. All my Blu-Ray's pop off the screen ( I have even had iPad owners say they were impressed when they saw Toy Story 3 playing). Personally I would rather have Gorilla Glass than an IPS LCD screen. I know my screen can take more damage than an IPS LCD screen.

They use the same glass cover, so there is no difference there. I think the XOOM screen is very nice, certainly above any netbook lcd I have ever seen. However, when it comes to shifting off axis you can tell its not IPS, which is a bummer since the wider aspect will exaggerate the issue faster.

All in all the XOOM is a solid machine, I love mine. However if google/motorola doesnt give me an option to upload/offload some of my photos I am not sure if it will keep me.

For now though, I am enjoying the heck out of my toy!

Upvote 0
However if google/motorola doesnt give me an option to upload/offload some of my photos I am not sure if it will keep me.
Zuh? Any picture you take can be uploaded to Picasa with the "Share" option fairly easily. Then it's accessible anywhere (or, on your main PC, you can browse to the album on Picasaweb and download them to your machine, the link says "Download to Picasa" and it gets the whole album).

Upvote 0
I am sorry, Android users are just as defensive as Apple users. Just the way it is.

Ain't it the truth.

Here is a basic question or two regarding how you compare or perhaps should compare the iPad to the Xoom.

1- With the ability to jailbreak/root these devices, perhaps the shortcomings expressed by some while beating up the iPad are a bit unfair.

2- Should such comparisons assume unmodified products? Not everyone will JB/Root their iPads so what some of us do is of little consequence as far as the great unwashed masses are concerned.

3- Is is fair to assume that a high percentage of those that read this forum will JB/Root their devices, so #1 becomes the question? I -JBroke my iPad and most problems or complaints many people seem to have were quickly addressed. Like no Flash; I have Frash. Or no file system access; I have iFile. Or no themes, I have Cydia access, or no way out of the Apple Store, I have Cydia access.

But none of this is possible unless I JB and perhaps most iPad users will not JB their devices, so #2 is important.

Just asking, I love my iPad and hate that next year something better and cheaper will arrive.

Bob

Reactions: GeekClass
Upvote 0
Zuh? Any picture you take can be uploaded to Picasa with the "Share" option fairly easily. Then it's accessible anywhere (or, on your main PC, you can browse to the album on Picasaweb and download them to your machine, the link says "Download to Picasa" and it gets the whole album).

Camera to xoom. With support for RAW. I understand how picasa works.

No, other way I think. No way to get pics from camera to Xoom. Altho I'm having some success with the Eye-Fi card.

If I'm wrong tho, yeah, definitely ways to get pics *off* the Xoom, just not *on* (without a PC).

Exactly. Thanks. I'd try eye fi but my camera uses CF.

Upvote 0
No, other way I think. No way to get pics from camera to Xoom. Altho I'm having some success with the Eye-Fi card.

If I'm wrong tho, yeah, definitely ways to get pics *off* the Xoom, just not *on* (without a PC).

Just use the Camera Connection Kit. Plug it in then slip in a MicroSD card. Easy as pie.

No, wait . . . I'm thinking of the iPad.

Smiley

Bob

Upvote 0
Kinda like the eyeFi card?

Eye-fi card is easier, don't hafta do anything! Share my internet connection to my camera, no intervention, and the pics fly to my PC whereupon I can view them through Pogoplug. Or, they can fly automatically to Picasa, where they get synced to my Xoom. :) In any case, even if I can a camera connection kit of SD card reader I'd be using the eye-fi card, as everything happens automatically. :) Much easier.

Upvote 0

If you read his reply, RAW file support is important. RAW on Android is pretty much ZERO at this point in time. And he doesn't want to upload large files to Picasa. A single RAW image along w. the jpeg previews are 20-25 megabytes EACH.It is not very efficient to "proof" a bunch of RAW images in the cloud.

If you take 300 photos on a shoot, you'll have about 6 gigs of photos and you want to upload those to Picasa while you are on the field?

The $30 Camera Connection kit is a small compromise for the ability to do field proofing.

Reactions: Kalison
Upvote 0
It wont work because there's no SD card slot on the iPad, and no USB port ;)

No slot, but Apple sells a CC Kit that allows me to use both MicroSD Cards and many Flash Drives.

Add iFile and I can quickly access images, movies, and documents.

I also have an AirFlash Drive that has its own WiFi Router. That allows me to wirelessly connect to the iPad using WiFi.

Bob

Upvote 0
No slot, but Apple sells a CC Kit that allows me to use both MicroSD Cards and many Flash Drives.

Add iFile and I can quickly access images, movies, and documents.

I also have an AirFlash Drive that has its own WiFi Router. That allows me to wirelessly connect to the iPad using WiFi.

Bob

Oh, so basically, you have buy another piece of gear to carry, instead of having an on-board SD card reader...

I guess I can see why it would be advantageous to use only one device at a time (Unplug keyboard, plug in CC Kit), instead of having a onboard card reader...

The more I hear about how much of a pain it is to actually DO things on iPads, the more happy I get I didn't buy one ;) I prefer to have my USB host, that works great with a USB hub; and my on-board car reader.

Upvote 0
Oh, so basically, you have buy another piece of gear to carry, instead of having an on-board SD card reader...

I guess I can see why it would be advantageous to use only one device at a time (Unplug keyboard, plug in CC Kit), instead of having a onboard card reader...

The more I hear about how much of a pain it is to actually DO things on iPads, the more happy I get I didn't buy one ;) I prefer to have my USB host, that works great with a USB hub; and my on-board car reader.

Yes indeed you do need to purchase the CC Kit. I used the money I saved between the cost of the Xoom and iPad to buy one. You get two adapters: one for Flash Drives and and for MicroSD cards. Each adapter is smaller than a book of matches.

The keyboards can be wireless, so there is no unplugging.

Not really painful, just different.

Bob

Upvote 0
In terms of creativity apps iOS absolutely schools Android.

25 Tempting Music Apps for the iPad

Being able to do things like this is pretty amazing-

2dbme5s.png

There's also very little available on Android in terms of helping with my photography workflow, whereas iPad has a host of tools for that.

In fact as of now I can't think of much functionality I would get out of an Android tablet besides common internet usage that I do on my HTC Incredible. Apps really do make a difference if you want something that isn't a casual (and expensive!) internet appliance.

I LOVE the image you posted. I'll assume it is the KORG Analog Sequencer app? Take a look at "iOrgel." It is a music box app and it is visually stunning. There are lots of great music apps for the iPad as you likely know.

Perhaps we need a forum band. We meet on the list, trade files, fix and enhance, then pass to another member for repairs and enhancements then post? Huh, any takers?

Apple apps seem to have a very sharp and cool look to them. FYI: Symphony Pro, NLog, and iELECTRIBE are also cool.

We need more banjo apps.

Although we have some stunning iPad apps, no doubt in my mind the Android side will also have some interesting offerings, too.

Bob

Upvote 0
Yes indeed you do need to purchase the CC Kit. I used the money I saved between the cost of the Xoom and iPad to buy one.

I take it you got the cheapest iPad then? Because the comparable Xoom is only about 20-30 more than it's iPad equal... And, you also limited yourself to a single tablet, rather than looking at all of your options. Many Android tablets out there, many of which costs much less than a Xoom.

You get two adapters: one for Flash Drives and and for MicroSD cards. Each adapter is smaller than a book of matches.

Instead of an onboard reader...

Sure, I can see the advantage :rolleyes:

The keyboards can be wireless, so there is no unplugging.

Not really painful, just different.

Bob

No, painful. With all the adapters, extra gear, etc, you might as well be carrying a full sized laptop or netbook.

Different would be having a different type of port to use, that has all the flexibility of a standard port (Firewire, etc). Painful is having to purchase (And carry) a ton of extra peripherals to accomplish the same thing as a single device.

Seriously, by the time you get done adding all the extra peripherals, you need a bag that's twice the size.

Upvote 0
No, painful. With all the adapters, extra gear, etc, you might as well be carrying a full sized laptop or netbook.

Seriously, by the time you get done adding all the extra peripherals, you need a bag that's twice the size.

Don't get me wrong but don't you need an adapter w/ the XOOM since it doesn't have a full-size SD slot ? Also, USB host is not quite baked either? You also don't have RAW photo file support.
So you have:
1) no full size SD
2) non working USB host
3) no RAW support.

At least with the iPad, you have a solution NOW. The adapter is thin and about the same dimensions as a matchbook.

I have an ultra-portable Thinkpad and the iPad w/a camera adapter is still 1/3 the weight and 1/5 the thickness of the laptop. I also had a Dell Mini and HP Mini netbook and the iPad was still lighter and more portable w/ all the extra gear.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong but don't you need an adapter w/ the XOOM since it doesn't have a full-size SD slot ? Also, USB host is not quite baked either? You also don't have RAW photo file support.
So you have:
1) no full size SD
2) non working USB host
3) no RAW support.

At least with the iPad, you have a solution NOW. The adapter is thin and about the same dimensions as a matchbook.

I have an ultra-portable Thinkpad and the iPad w/a camera adapter is still 1/3 the weight and 1/5 the thickness of the laptop. I also had a Dell Mini and HP Mini netbook and the iPad was still lighter and more portable w/ all the extra gear.

Why limit yourself to the Xoom?

The G Tablet is a full USB host, micro SD card slot, with an internal 16GB SD Card.

If you need a Full-sized SD Card slot, you have many to choose from, starting at about $4 US, that can plug right into USB port. Or, you can just plug the camera straight into the USB port, with no adapter.

There are more tablets out there than the Xoom and iPad. Consumers do themselves a disservice when they limit themselves to that.

And, if you really need to work with RAW formats, trying to do the work you would need to do on a tablet is painful, to say the least. iPad's can't even do it, really. They get converted to another format, and compressed when sync'd through iTunes.

Upvote 0
Why limit yourself to the Xoom?

There are more tablets out there than the Xoom and iPad. Consumers do themselves a disservice when they limit themselves to that.

This thread is XOOM vs iPad 2 not Every other Android Tablet vs Ipad 2.

I agree with you that there are choices. I'm probably going to pick up the Asus transformer if the price is right. However, back to the topic. XOOM vs iPad 2.

And, if you really need to work with RAW formats, trying to do the work you would need to do on a tablet is painful, to say the least. iPad's can't even do it, really. They get converted to another format, and compressed when sync'd through iTunes.

Once again, you are completely wrong. There is native RAW support for most cameras. All you need is the camera adapter. No need for iTunes. The RAW support for new cameras coincide w/ the RAW updates on OSX/Aperture/iPhoto.

There are also various 3rd party apps that provide RAW support for cameras that the built in ACR does not support. The files coy right over into the Camera roll.

And this was in answer to a poster who needed a tablet for proofing. Proofing means being able to view the files. No one is talking about lightroom or capture one style editing of RAW files. The ability to view RAW files and the ability to remotely capture/control full frame and medium format cameras is one of the iPad's ace features.

There is this misconception you need iTunes. I only used iTunes to set up an Ipad. I get files to and from an iPad w/out iTunes. I constantly stream HD content (about 4 terabytes of videos) via Samba. I open Office documents via built in webdav or drop-box clients.

I edit home videos by using the camera connection kit. .mp4 Files from my camera loaad right up into the camera roll and iMovie sees them just fine. No itunes.

Upvote 0
I take it you got the cheapest iPad then? Because the comparable Xoom is only about 20-30 more than it's iPad equal... And, you also limited yourself to a single tablet, rather than looking at all of your options. Many Android tablets out there, many of which costs much less than a Xoom.

Instead of an onboard reader...

Sure, I can see the advantage :rolleyes:

Different would be having a different type of port to use, that has all the flexibility of a standard port (Firewire, etc). Painful is having to purchase (And carry) a ton of extra peripherals to accomplish the same thing as a single device.

Yes, I bought the least expensive iPad. It is more than I need. I am not limited by memory constraints so I can use it for my work documents. I carry an extra SD card for music and a card for work documents.

When I bought my device there was nothing out there. Just the iPad and the promise of other tablets arriving soon. I bought it knowing that something better will likely arrive, but I do not play that game or it means I will never buy a tech product because there is always something better arriving soon.

I carry a few SC cards and a tiny adapter. What extra gear are you talking about? I can enjoy and use my iPad without the need to carry anything but the iPad. I do not need to carry crap that plugs into my port except the cards.

Care to try again?

Bob

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses guys/gals.

Mrspeed and Bob get exactly my concerns. Thank you for adding to the conversation.

PSkeptic, I only need to proof RAW I don't need to edit them really. However, FilterStorm Pro has full support for RAW files and does the majority of minor editing you might want if you arent going to get back home for a while. Plus its like previewing what you want to do to a photo.

Also, some apps (FilterStorm Pro) can now have direct file sharing with your computer through iTunes as well. So what RAW files I do end up editing on the tablet I can pop right into Lightroom and finish up, or vice versa.

Someone suggested Eye-Fi, which sounds like it would really be a good idea, but as most Semi-Pro cameras go... CF is the only way to record. So I can't try that :(

One more note... the IPS LCD is also in the iPad's corner. The XOOM's colors and shifting isnt really good with accurate colors. HOWEVER, proofing can still be done with the XOOM's screen, its just not as good as I think some of us hoped it would be.

Chalk up that new targus capacitive stylus and editing with filter masks is really easy and quick.

Thanks again for everyone commenting it really is nice to see both sides of the story.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones