• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Oh. My. God. Moto preparing an update for their devices that allow unlockable/relockable bootloader.

Yeah. We are holding a device nearly a year old. Idk what the possibility is of them working on an update to unlock an older devices bootloader. Idc tho as long as CM7 works out. I just don't want the life of the device in moto's hands to decide.

well ive always been of the belief that the X has one more update left in its lifecycle...a bugfix for Gingerbread...this could be included in such an update...

Upvote 0
well ive always been of the belief that the X has one more update left in its lifecycle...a bugfix for Gingerbread...this could be included in such an update...

I think the DX probably has at least another update as well. I'm not saying its impossible. But I'm still doubting it until I see it start being implemented in other phones. Once it actually starts, I'd say my thoughts on it happening will be about 50/50, depending on when it starts. Oh well, at least I have gotten some seriously good news today about my phone staying updated until I can upgrade.

Upvote 0
This kind of bootloader is usually reserved for Nexus devices (and the Xoom). Like others, I have my doubts, but if Motorola can pull this off, it'll be a great victory for power Android users.

There's nothing quite like

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

:D

So fab, does the possibility of an unlocked bootloader or the 2nd init process have you considering to develop for the dx a little longer? Lol

Upvote 0
Perhaps I am biased, but it is my feeling that Motorola is superior because of its hardware and radios, etc. Even if the DX remains encrypted, but future phones don't, that would be a coup as far as I'm concerned. My next phone would definitely be a Motorola.

Upvote 0
Still sounds highly unlikely to me. Moto is just dangling a carrot to sell some phones. Big red ain't gonna let em anyway cause people are tethering without paying. And, Moto said the other day that 70% of the returned phones they get are because people screw them up. These corporations have us by the gonads-do you really think they're about to let go? Good read: Motorola Tries to Issue an Update to Their Locked Bootloader Policy, Everything is Still Up to the Carriers - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Upvote 0
I really don't think that verizon will be a hang up for this. Motorola has obviously already found an unlockable bootloader that verizon likes. The Xoom. Motorola has been backed into a corner by its competitors. The petition made it evident that they can't continue to ignore the root community. I really see them changing directions. If for no reason other than it being business. Adapt or die.

Upvote 0
I really don't think that verizon will be a hang up for this. Motorola has obviously already found an unlockable bootloader that verizon likes. The Xoom. Motorola has been backed into a corner by its competitors. The petition made it evident that they can't continue to ignore the root community. I really see them changing directions. If for no reason other than it being business. Adapt or die.

I agree. I think HTC forced their hand with this. HTC's recent foray into locked devices, I think, made Moto feel confident in their stance that two of the biggest handset manufacturers were still pursuing locked devices.

Now that HTC made their big announcement, and Samsung - though they have always been unlocked - is actively encouraging development by sending handsets to CM7 developers, Motorola is standing alone holding the ball.

Nothing like having all of your competitors point at you and say, "we're way more consumer friendly than that guy" to change your stance on something in a hurry.

Upvote 0
Still sounds highly unlikely to me. Moto is just dangling a carrot to sell some phones. Big red ain't gonna let em anyway cause people are tethering without paying. And, Moto said the other day that 70% of the returned phones they get are because people screw them up. These corporations have us by the gonads-do you really think they're about to let go? Good read: Motorola Tries to Issue an Update to Their Locked Bootloader Policy, Everything is Still Up to the Carriers - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Well by accepting the agreement to void your warranty when you unlock it I'd say the carriers have a reason to go along. It would be trivial for the phone to call home and flag your account and thus they can refuse returns, even on phone they brick with updates. So it's not like it doesn't have value to them. As far as tethering goes its pretty much a given they can track it now and will be cracking down so I'm not sure how important that is to them either. To me it seems like a win win all around. Happy customers and less warranty service for phones people bricked playing around.

Sounds like a petition to carriers is in order :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones