• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root On the right path??

Vexen

Jan 1, 2012
ok so what im trying to do, is make my phone faster, and have better battery life, i've been reading up on some stuff and New Optimus as kinda given me some ideas.

I was checking into the CTmod and i think that the route im going to take. So i was wondering what steps i should take first.

How should i back up my phone incase i screw something up? And i would also like to use the back door mod, i should do that afterwards right?

im posting this cuz the wifi tether is what im currently using for internet so i only got one shot. someone help me out, how should i go about this...step by step maybe?

Edit: i keep seeing ppl talk about shabbymod, but i cant find anything on it. what exactly does it do, from what i gathered shabbykernal closes the remote access back door right?

I've never backed-up my stuff so I'm gonna skip let someone else tell you about that.
As for CTmod (great mod in my opinion!) - download the first link at bottom of post of "Odin" thread in "all things root" (EJ06)...it comes with Odin, usb driver, .ops file, and both .tar files. open Odin application and click on OPS, then slect SPHM820.ops, now click on "Boot" and select the "boot" .tar file, then select the .tar file for "phone". Now with the phone off hold (in this order) volume down, camera, then power at same time and you should see "downloading..." on screen, Now plug in your device via usb to your pc...as long as you've installed the correct driver, you will see com (2 i think) in the "Com port mapping" box. Press "Start" and a time will start, just wait till phone reboots (4 minutes or so). *Now you have Gingerbread EJ06 rooted with CWM5 recovery.
Next, download CTmod.zip on the "[ROM]CTmod" thread in "all things root" to your cell phone and put it on your sd card. reboot phone back to recovery mode..."volume up and power". you should see cyan colored text with additional options than before. scroll to "install zip from sdcard" the "choose zip from sdcard", now find where you put your CTmod.zip file and select it, then choose yes and your phone should go through the flashing process. Finally it will reboot and you'll see "Koura kernal" on screen...it will take longer to boot this time only because it's the first time, be patient. Should be good - read the top of the CTmod thread for the stock apk's...you'll probably find that you wanna bring back a few (I did).

BTW, shabbymod slim/loaded are simply batch scripts that you install the same way that you "One click" rooted...just run the command prompt and click on the .bat it comes with.

Hope I helped a little :)

Upvote 0
Do I need to have Odin to run ctmod it seems complicated also do I need some sort of file manager to do any of this? Using the steps in the ctmod post I think I can do it. I have it downloaded. And odin. s image Creator too any particular order I should start with I don't care to much about backing up my phone really if it works as well as everyone said.

Upvote 0
Do I need to have Odin to run ctmod it seems complicated also do I need some sort of file manager to do any of this? Using the steps in the ctmod post I think I can do it. I have it downloaded. And odin. s image Creator too any particular order I should start with I don't care to much about backing up my phone really if it works as well as everyone said.
Yes you need odin to start off with. That is the only way to put CWM recovery on your phone and ctmod can only be flashed using cwm recovery.

Upvote 0
OK I have downloaded Odin with gingerbread rooted an it came with cwm5 I have Odin image Creator downloaded and ctmod as well. I should start with the rooted Odin an from there install the cwm5 then back up the phone with Odin image maker finally install ctmod right? Cynosure wipes data so will I still have root?

Upvote 0
OK I have downloaded Odin with gingerbread rooted an it came with cwm5 I have Odin image Creator downloaded and ctmod as well. I should start with the rooted Odin an from there install the cwm5 then back up the phone with Odin image maker finally install ctmod right? Cynosure wipes data so will I still have root?
All you need is the cwm5 found
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...od-v5-0-2-6-file-system-recovery-utility.html

Since you are already rooted you do not need to use the other, plus this way you wont wipe out your current settings or anything.
Least you wont wipe out current until you put on ctmod or something.
by the way there is a new version 2.4 of ctmod put that one on.

Upvote 0
Already installed. 2.3 battery. Life seems to get drained alot faster been. Off charge for seven hours. An already at 56% an only been picked up once any ideas
Few things how is your signal strength? what are your data speeds?
have you installed any apps that run continuously?
Do you have gmail sync on?

Things that run all the time(such as searching for cell service) will hurt battery. However searching for cell service is one you can't do very much about. You could try a new prl to see if there is a closer stronger tower to connect to.

Upvote 0
All. I did was install go launcher and wireless tether other than that its just Odin with cwm gingerbread. Rooted ej06 down to 33now signal is ranging from.normal to weaker than normal. An when in use it drops steadily an quickly down to 30 now
look at menu/settings/about phone/ status and see what your signal strength is.

it will have -85 dBm 85 asu or something if the number is -95 or above your probably having that as one constant drain.

then look int menu/settings/about phone battery use
See what is using the highest percent of juice. and how many things are there.

Upvote 0
battery problem was resolved after wiping battery status with cwm now my issue is resolving around my home "key" i guess you would call it on the physical phone itself not the screen, at random times i can press the home key on the phone when finishining an app and the screen flashes and then does nothing, stays on the current app/screen. sometimes rebooting works, sometimes it doesnt. thats the only issue im having. battery charged up to 92 and lasted 20 hours and was being used frequently. so any home key fix?

and one more thing would be on how to create my own themes? what kind of software would i need?

Upvote 0
battery problem was resolved after wiping battery status with cwm now my issue is resolving around my home "key" i guess you would call it on the physical phone itself not the screen, at random times i can press the home key on the phone when finishining an app and the screen flashes and then does nothing, stays on the current app/screen. sometimes rebooting works, sometimes it doesnt. thats the only issue im having. battery charged up to 92 and lasted 20 hours and was being used frequently. so any home key fix?

and one more thing would be on how to create my own themes? what kind of software would i need?

I dontr recommend using your home key on this phone. It keeps the app running in the background which also drains your battery.

I agree always use the back button when you are done with an app.
As to the home key issue sometimes you dont quite press it. with it not a real physical button sometimes your off the mark and it doesnt think you really meant to press the button.

Upvote 0
battery is at thirty percent going on 22 hours off the charge so its all good there, and the home key was clashing with lock screen 7 app i had enabled. Internal memory sucks though.

but anyone have any idea what software i can use to make my own themes? im decent with graphics i just dunno what i could use to do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones