• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will_T

May 24, 2011
I have a 3T that I want to dedicate to an app that needs the microphone. The microphone is not working in any app. I even tried Gmail, making sure to give permission and Gmail hears nothing. I have looked at a lot of settings and all seems to be correct but maybe I am missing something? Can anyone suggest how to turn on my microphone? Thanks.

I have a 3T that I want to dedicate to an app that needs the microphone. The microphone is not working in any app. I even tried Gmail, making sure to give permission and Gmail hears nothing. I have looked at a lot of settings and all seems to be correct but maybe I am missing something? Can anyone suggest how to turn on my microphone? Thanks.
well your phone came out in 2016. its pretty old. you might want to consider doing a factory reset. it could also be a hardware issue. can you be heard on phone calls?

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I only have this phone on wifi and only want to use it for the Merlin Bird app. Maybe it is the hardware though. I just want to be sure I am exhausting all possibilities before I buy an more recent used phone for this purpose. The size of this device is perfect to attach to my backpack. If I can determine it is hardware and decide to replace it rather than try to have fixed, I will ask here for reccomendations for a similar sized device, but newer.

edit: I did do a factory reset a few weeks ago when I resurrected the phone specifically for this one purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I only have this phone on wifi and only want to use it for the Merlin Bird app. Maybe it is the hardware though. I just want to be sure I am exhausting all possibilities before I buy an more recent used phone for this purpose. The size of this device is perfect to attach to my backpack. If I can determine it is hardware and decide to replace it rather than try to have fixed, I will ask here for reccomendations for a similar sized device, but newer.

edit: I did do a factory reset a few weeks ago when I resurrected the phone specifically for this one purpose.
well if a factory reset does not work, than i think it is hardware.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones