1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Open sesame

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rgarner, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

What does it take to open an apk? I recently downloaded one and was told I had no way to do that. If I really need such a thing, what would you recommend (safe, trustworthy, not bloaty, etc.)?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

if you download an apk, you can't open it. you have to install it which any file manager should be able to do

MrJavi and Rgarner like this.
  3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Do you want to open it, or install it?

On a computer you can use a program like 7zip to view the files inside since APK files are like archives, probably can do the same on a phone.

To install an APK not from Google Play first enable installing from Unknown Sources. Up until Android 7 Nougat the option to install from Unknown Sources was located in Settings - Security - Unknown Sources. Starting with Android 8 Oreo the steps to install from Unknown Sources changed, it's now per app instead of any app.

Here is how to enable installing from Unknown Sources from Chrome:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/324270/how-android-oreo-changed-sideloading-and-why-its-a-good-thing/

When you're installing apps from unknown sources make sure they are from a legitimate source. Don't download apps from untrusted sites, or apps that have bad reviews.

MrJavi, Hadron, Rgarner and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I want to do whatever it takes to use it. Files says it cannot preview this type of file and I have nothing to open it. I can't be the only one who is tired of this nonsense.

5. ocnbrze

to use the apk file you just install it, you do not open it. the link that @kate gave should help you out.

i do not call this nonsense. it is what you have to do if you want to get away from google. once you understand the process it will become easier.

6. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I hope. I just checked allow installation from unknown sources. Supposedly Files is allowed to do this. Why is it giving me grief about installing this apk?

7. ocnbrze

thats what you want. otherwise malicious apps could download and install apks without you knowing it....its a security feature which you should appreciate.

8. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Rgarner and ocnbrze like this.
  9. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I obviously don't want malware, but I also should be able to do some sideloading. If I know an app or apk to be malicious, I won't bother with it. Formerly I trusted apkpure, but not any more. After my recent bad experience with it, I would not recommend it to anyone.

10. ocnbrze

well yes you can side load apps, that is what apk's are designed for. but you do not want to make it too easy. otherwise, like i said earlier, malicious content would be a lot easier and more proliferate.

11. puppykickr

What happened with APK Pure?
    I use it all the time and never have had any issue.

Rgarner likes this.
  12. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I'm pretty sure that's the one I downloaded and then found a bunch of mysteriously added apps, all games except Pandora (I think). This was on the TCL, which I haven't helped with lately. Things kept popping up until I removed the apparently malicious offender.

13. puppykickr

I really dont know what you are talking about.
    It is simple to find what apps can install apps without permission.
    Apk Pure and the xapk installer I recommended are not capable of that, as far as I know.
    I will check.
    Anyway, I have been using them for years.
    The xapk installer is just that- nothing more. It does not even require internet access, so it cannot download anything.
    You do not need to have Apk Pure for it to work.

ocnbrze and Rgarner like this.
  14. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Thanks, I did download APK Installer and that made it possible to install the apk I meant. Then I found there was another that had not been installed, but it probably can't be. There was a problem parsing the package, whatever that means.

15. puppykickr

Most likely that means that the apk is not the right version for your device.

Most apps have multiple versions to work with different arms.

#15 puppykickr, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 10:26 PM
    MrJavi, ocnbrze and Rgarner like this.
  16. puppykickr

Also, that xapk installer gives you the option to delete apks from the device.

Pull from the top to refresh.

ocnbrze and Rgarner like this.