• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Opening Screen"... not homescreen...

yes John, I did download that. But now, with other inputs, it seems that the screen I'm referring to is itself locked and anyway, no more than a place to select widget options specifically to go onto the lockscreen. It didn't seem interested in trying to remove those widget options.

I suppose where I am now is that on the one hand, I can afford to ignore that screen anyway, since I'm no longer seeing it during unlock. On the other hand, it's possible one day I might like to see one or all of those widgets on my lockscreen. My understanding is that what they do is present you with gmail status, google+ posts, calendar etc without you needing to actually unlock. They could indeed be useful. So even if I could erase them, maybe I shouldn't...

Upvote 0
yeah..you are right.. not everything is natural to all people.
they should have put this in the instruction. not assume everything.

i have also noticed many people dont try the "long press".. when looking to do things. long press on everything.. just to see what pops up.

that would be a very thick book/manual.

Upvote 0
to be clear...

What was happening was that I didn't properly figure out the padlock/swipe-unlock thing... I just swiped to the right and saw a big + and then clicked that to unlock. It worked, up to a point...

It got me onto the device, but I ended up in a widget selection screen. It seems to be "hard-coded" and only has 4 widgets - in fact these 4 widgets are options you can use on the unlock screen. Selecting any one of these brings them onto the unlock screen (unlike all the other widgets which I think, just add to the homescreen).

You can remove any added widget appearing on the unlock screen just as you would from the homescreen, by selecting, holding, removing.

But the actual widget selection screen is there permanently... well, you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones