• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Operating System Reinstallation

Bananamonkey

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
Hi,

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Mini. My question is: is there a way I can completely restore my phone to the way it was when I bought it? I'm aware of Factory Reset, but I'd like to download the (firmware?) so it can fix the issues my phone is having after tinkering around with it and am now getting error messages. Factory reset does not fix this issue. I've heard of Samsung Kies firmware recovery, perhaps this will fix the issue? I'll need to do a clean installation of the operating System to restore the files that are creating the error messages 'cause I rooted my phone and deleted a file I wasn't supposed to hehe. Thanks for reading.

I'm not very familiar with Samsung, but from the little I know I would think that Kies is the answer here.

I'll move this post to the Galaxy Mini subforum - someone there should be able to help you out. If you can tell us a bit more about the phone, e.g. what OS version and network, that may help someone identify the correct firmware file for you.

Edit: I was going to move the thread, but it seems someone else did it while I was posting this! ;)

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for responding, my operating system is Android, Gingerbread v2.3.4. The phone has been rooted but is still using the original operating system, I didn't install a modified version or anything. I can't think of anything else so if there's more information you'd like feel free to ask. I wrote to Samsung and they said Kies' recovery mode is only really used if performing a failed upgrade of the operating system. My phone cannot be upgraded, so that particular feature in Kies isn't the way to go.

Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0
Hi, the only message I can find out right now is the one that pops up every time at startup. It's, 'The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.' With the only option for you to force close. When I do force close it seems to not affect the phone other than annoy me. There's other popups such as one regarding the home screen which slows the phone down temporarily. I hope that helps. I just need a fresh installation of the operating system (ROM?).

Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones