• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Otterbox case for the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I picked one up at Best Buy (can return it within 30 days if I don't like it). This is a massive case. That in and of itself might not be a problem, but the screen protector for it sucks. It degrades the image quality and gives too much resistance when touching the screen. Also the protector is attracting my cat's fur like crazy. So either I return the whole thing or remove the protector.

This would be a great case for going hiking with, though, maybe it would be worth keeping just for that. I'd still remove the screen protector, though.

Upvote 0
My friend she was getting a defender when we were in Best Buy. I got the pink Commuter at Sprint and I too have always had an loved Seidio. My favorite Seidio is the Active but for this phone it had it's own built in kickstand so I ordered the surface. Not really a fan of sliding in from top to bottom. The Active is like this commuter rubber part then hard shell over it and that's my favorite kind. Plus the Active I had last year didn't fit in my docks. So I ordered a purple seidio but I love pink also and when I saw this commuter at Sprint I had to try it and since I was buying a car dock and would get 20% off I bought it. Now it had a little rubber flap covering the charging port but I cut that off so it fits perfect now in my car dock. I love it! I want a Steinheil or Clairvue screen protector. The best buy rep showed me her Zagg and I didn't care for it.

And I am getting a convert combo from Seidio for my friend that I won off a contest. It's his favorite case ever he had it on the 3D comes with a holster flaps to cover up camera and other ports.

Always had Seidio's, but the Otterbox's look nice. Thinking of getting a Commuter

Upvote 0
The defender on this phone isnt near as bad and the OG Evo or the 3D. I had all three Evos. Because this phone is so thin the OB defender makes it feel like a normal phone.

I was always one that didn't really care about how much size the defender packed on... But when I got this phone and realized how thin it was... It's perfect in the hand... I began to care lol so that is good to know bc my 3vo was a beast as was the og with the defender

Upvote 0
I might try this, then. The LTEvo is so thin it almost makes it hard to hold.

It makes a HUGE difference holding it. I was scared to hold it when I left BB. The first thing I did when I got in my truck (before I left the parking lot) was put the defender on. There is no way this phone is leaving my hand with this case on. And if it does, i'll pick it back up with a smile knowing it was shrouded in all the Defender glory.:D

Upvote 0
When we thought the phones were coming out on Friday the 18th my friend ordered some 5 dollar gel cases off ebay that came on the 17th mjust to hold us over till we got better ones. She got me a purple one and him a black one and since the phone was delayed when I went to get my car dock I ended up getting the pink commuter and now I really like it. My friend came over last night with his in the black ebay case and couldn't believe how thin it was. And my seidio actives made my 3VO a bit thicker but on this phone with the Otterbox which is kind of like the Active the 2 parts it's thin. Not as thin as the ebay case and my friend said you should use the Ebay case it makes it so thin but I like this commuter and think it still makes it thin too. My friend got the Defender at Best Buy and now she and i won Seidio cases and she is getting an Active Combo and I am getting convert combo for my friend he loved it last year. But he's happy with that cheap little ebay case. We need screen protectors bad though. This is one Bad A** phone all around. I don't even mind the two tone even though it's in the case. But I have trouble getting the kickstand out.

Upvote 0
How thick is the defender case compared to the EVO 3d defender. And how much of a difference are between the new deff and comunter case? I had the deffender formy EVO 3d and imo it was way to bulky. How strong is the comunter case? Does it do a pretty well job of protectiong the phone?

Save for the obvious differences in LxW, the defender on the LTEVO is actually thinner than the commuter on the Evo 4g

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Did you leave the screen on or did you remove it?

I think ultimately I need to get something that adds a little thickness to the phone, but not the amount that the Defender offers.

Edit: Yeah, I went ahead and took the Defender off. Ordered a Dizcount TPU case. We'll see how that is.

I left the screen protector on. It's already slightly scratched so I'll be removing it soon to replace it with a separate one.

Upvote 0
Just got a response from otterbox on facebook they say the black defender should be in stores everywhere..waiting on a response for availability of the blue defender..

This is true! I opted out of getting that case, I don't like how bulky cases make phones look! I did purchase a car dock, screen cover and a holster clip from Sprint corporate store!

Upvote 0
According ro otterbox the black defender should be in stores now..I asked about the blue one also and am awaiting a response..will post back

I have seen a lot of black Defenders at Sprint Corporate stores and Best Buy ... Seen the pink Commuter at Sprint.

Have called 8 Sprint stores, 4 Radio Shacks and 5 Best Buys (was traveling) no Blue Defenders in sight. Blah

Upvote 0
I have seen a lot of black Defenders at Sprint Corporate stores and Best Buy ... Seen the pink Commuter at Sprint.

Have called 8 Sprint stores, 4 Radio Shacks and 5 Best Buys (was traveling) no Blue Defenders in sight. Blah

Yeah I really want to get my hands on the blue one...ill wait for it to come out... I mean if the black one is out.. the blue can't be too far behind...I have one set on hold at radioshack whenever they show up... But if I hear/see anything I will be sure to post here and let you know.. lemme know if you do as well :thumbup:

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I returned the Otterbox case. Got a matte black Dizcount TPU case. This thing is great. Softer than plastic, harder than silicone. Doesn't add much bulk but makes the phone much easier to hold. Matches the phone perfectly.

I'm glad to hear the great review on the Dizcount TPU case. I just ordered one from Amazon for under $15. Looking forward to seeing it in person!

Upvote 0
Just got the email FROM Otterbox that they have the Night Sky in stock.

Anyone order from them before? How fast is the SmartPost actually? Says 3 to 5 days to process order, 5 to 10 days delivery.

Then they are estimating $4 tax for me in Alabama for $99 order. Sales tax is 10%. Math doesn't compute. Would wait and get overnight if Amazon gets them.

Upvote 0
Just got a response from otterbox on facebook they say the black defender should be in stores everywhere..waiting on a response for availability of the blue defender..

I was in a best buy today and they had the black and blue defender . . . but no commuter for the EVO 4g LTE. The Defender was HUGE at least to my eyes.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones