• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Otterbox coming out with case for eris

Got my otterbox today...

Put it on and like a moron didnt realize that the screen protector had the protective film on both the inside AND outside faces. When I lifted the "remove after install" tab, I thought it was pulling the screen protector off. So i just pulled the tab off and spent 30 minutes trying to clean the residue off and being unimpressed with the finish of the screen protector. Then I thought to myself that it must have the film on it, and pulled the film off and am now VERY happy with my box.

It give the eris some feel like it has some strength to it

Upvote 0
Just got my otterbox the other day.

Downsides first...feels heavier, and while it's not slippery, it's definitely not as "gripy" as a naked eris.

Plus sides...I could care less if it's a slight bit heavier and less gripy. The otterbox makes my phone feel like a tank. I have absolutely no fear in dropping my phone now. Also, this case feels like it is actually part of the phone; otterbox did an excellent job in tailoring it to the Eris' specific fit. On top of all that, it looks great too. Super slim and the phone looks as close to a naked Eris as possible.

Some might balk at the price, but I think 35 bones is a perfectly reasonable deal if you want to completely protect your phone and keep it looking good as well. Needless to say, I am totally happy with this case.

Upvote 0
I got the commuter. Love the look, feel, and size. Except for one problem... I can't find a holster I like that it will fit in. I can't stand having stuff (other than change and keys) in my pockets. And the horizontal holster I tried blocked access to my wallet and change pockets.

So, unfortunately, my eris is nekkid again until I get a chance to go shopping some for a vertical holster (preferably black. no velcro, TYVM) that will fit the Otterbox

Upvote 0
I recently purchased the Otterbox Commuter and after having it on for 1 minute decided it had to be returned. It was bulkier than I anticipated and was very slippery. Plus it just didn't fit that tight on my cell. The next day I bought the Seidio case and while I was initially apprehensive about a snap together design I have been pleasantly surprised. The fit is absolutely perfect and in all honesty it doesn't really detract from the great form factor of the cell. Removing the case takes a fingernail to wedge into it so I wouldn't recommend for anyone that is constantly having to pull the battery or swap cards. Other than removing it I see no negatives. Fits better in my hands and also is a bit more grippy compared to the Otterbox.

Upvote 0
I got the commuter. Love the look, feel, and size. Except for one problem... I can't find a holster I like that it will fit in. I can't stand having stuff (other than change and keys) in my pockets. And the horizontal holster I tried blocked access to my wallet and change pockets.

So, unfortunately, my eris is nekkid again until I get a chance to go shopping some for a vertical holster (preferably black. no velcro, TYVM) that will fit the Otterbox

Any luck finding a holster for it yet. I found one from body glove that it fit the best in of all I have tried, but still not good enough for me. I ordered a holster from cellphoneshop and it came and the naked eris didnt even fit in it let alone the otterboxed eris.

I was at the mall and the only off brand cell phone shop there said he didnt have anything it would fit in.

Anyone have any ideas? I am not getting rid of my otterbox, but I really want a holster for my belt. (and no I am not going to glue one of those buttons on the backof my case and use one of those belt clips for it)

Upvote 0
Just got an otterbox to put on my wife's eris. She sticks the phone into her pocketbook with her keys, change, and whatever else crap she carries in there. I have seen her old phones, and knew she needs the protection. So I can tell you:

1) The bare screen DOES scratch. Her phone is scratched. For real. I polished it up best I could, but there are some for real, unintentionally created, scratches on her screen.

2) The screen protector is damn annoying to put on straight. By the time I got it on, there seem to have been 3 pieces of dust that made their way onto the underside of the protector. Now they are there causing 3 little bubbles that won't squeegee out. Visible with the phone turned on, too. Annoying.

3) The case collects dust on it like nobody's business.

(Live in the bronx. May be better in an area with cleaner air.)

I do however feel her phone will be more secure. She is death to electronics.

Upvote 0
I have had three cases so far and my Innocase II for my Eris is superior. The first hard clear plastic from Verizon was definitely shock proof but too bulky from me. Next was a 3-in-1 combo from eBay that came with a car charger for $7.99, not a bad case overall but I couldn't stand the clip on square/hole on the back.

If you are willing to spend some cash for a case, the Innocase is worth it. I do not use a screen protector but I have dabbled with some. Being a semi reckless college student(reason I purchased it) I can say it is shock proof and I never have had a scratch problem with my screen either. It also adds a very minimal amount of bulk to the phone. I'm sure its feasible to get scratched but I've been fortunate I suppose?

If anyone wants pics I can take some of the case and it inside the case. There is a foam pad of sorts on the two sliding pieces that really gives it a snug fit.

Upvote 0
I have the Verizon shell/holster combo for my Eris and I love it. The only problem I have is that the volume up/down buttons are a bit hard to access, but otherwise it does everything that people are talking about this Ottercase doing, and the holster is built for belt wear. Google "Droid Eris shell/holster combo" and you can find it on Amazon for 15 bucks. I can't really tell where the Ottercase offers anything over what this has to justify twice the cost, particulars without a holster.

If someone has a reason I'm not aware of why the Otter would be better, would love to hear it, thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones