• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [OUDHS] Soft Brick and CWM recovery support

got my reverb from black friday sale... and now the phone is in a reboot loop, booted to samsung and then a blank screen.

1) power and volume up: wipe data/factory reset > boot loop, no system boot.

2) follow your instructions, run odin3.exe on winPC 32bit system, win7, everything went through, connected. on winPC/Odin3, grabbed stock kernel, press start. window showed .. boot.img.... and end up Failed. Repeat several times, same result. On the way back to VM... want to see if anything I can try before hitting UPS?

The phone is able to boot to Android system recovery, and is able to select update from external storage or apply update from cache. Can I name the stock kernal.tar to update.zip and update from sdcard? does anyone has the OTA update zip file?

TIA,

bun

Upvote 0
If Odin fails, and we know the files are good, we can't do anything except keep trying. Here are some tips: If Odin fails, restart Odin and the device back into bootloader mode. Most times for me it only gives me one chance, then I have to start that part over. Also, if you have to send it back, it's best that the device is completely dead, no bootloop, no start, no nothing, so the tech who receives it will call it a DOA no questions asked.

Reactions: bunanson
Upvote 0
It is sooooo close... but no cigar yet :(

Download above link, the ...update.zip file, and go into the recovery menu on the Reverb, it picked it and installation.........

--------------------------------
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed
apply_patch_check ("/system/build.prop". "a bunch of numbers"802ce6......
E.Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7)
Installation aborted.

Any suggestions?

bun

Upvote 0
It is sooooo close... but no cigar yet :(

Download above link, the ...update.zip file, and go into the recovery menu on the Reverb, it picked it and installation.........

--------------------------------
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed
apply_patch_check ("/system/build.prop". "a bunch of numbers"802ce6......
E.Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7)
Installation aborted.

Any suggestions?

bun

That means your build.prop file was modified at one time. You'll need the original file. I have the same issue because i accidentally deleted my google books apk and nobody has a copy of the pre-update apk.

Upvote 0
This is the "error" that I have from trying to recover from soft bricking my phone... I wanted to install CWM first to see if that did anything:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

My guess is that it failed. Next idea?

Upvote 0
The intention of this thread is to help people recover from a soft brick they created by messing something up themselves. Please try and keep the conversation centered around the topic, so when other users come here, they find what they need and not a bunch of what they don't, please.

No, you cannot rename the file and try to flash it. That is a bad idea. If you want the update, use Odin to flash back the stock recovery and try that. Sometimes that is enough, sometimes you have to unroot or have a virgin-like device depending on the security in place. I personally do not have time to make a flashable zip of the updated files, but it can be done. Another user was supposed to get me a factory image and I can make that into a flashable zip so restoring to stock can be done from recovery (without a computer) instead of Odin (with a computer).

If Odin fails, restart the device. Restart Odin. Try a different version of Odin. I don't have any other versions myself, but they exist. If it seems like more than one person is having trouble with the same file (my files ONLY) let me know and I will verify the quality of the file and replace it with a good one if it's bad.

An important piece of advice : make a backup BEFORE changing anything on your device and keep that backup until the day you and the device part ways. You will always be able to get back to square one if you do this. If you don't, you will spend your time scouring forums and waiting for people to help you on their own schedule while you miss your phone and the ladies trying to reach you playa!

Has anyone had any problems with CWM? I need feedback so I can make the changes ASAP. Thanks and gooder luck next time!

Upvote 0
ROmManager support only happens after we get ALL of the features working 100% in ClockworkMod Recovery. Once the recovery is perfect, I have to do a little pushing and prepping and get a hold of Koush so it can be added to the RomManager Manifest. There really isn't anything to flash from RomManager yet anyway. But, for Superboy4444, or whoever asked which version, just choose the 3.x.x option. This CWM is actually 6.0.1.5 I believe. If you boot into recovery you will see the version number.

Reactions: superboy4444
Upvote 0
This is the "error" that I have from trying to recover from soft bricking my phone... I wanted to install CWM first to see if that did anything:

Added!!
Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Complete(Write) operation failed.
Added!!
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

My guess is that it failed. Next idea?

ok, I was getting the exact same error message everytime I tried to install cwm. After rereading the op I relized the phone had to be in download mode before beginning the odin and flash. So, I put phone in download mode by holding power button and volume down. When asked I hit volume up, then I started the flash in odin and got no errors and the phone rebooted.

Edit: i now have cwm!:cool:

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
ok, I was getting the exact same error message everytime I tried to install cwm. After rereading the op I relized the phone had to be in download mode before beginning the odin and flash. So, I put phone in download mode by holding power button and volume down. When asked I hit volume up, then I started the flash in odin and got no errors and the phone rebooted.

Edit: i now have cwm!:cool:

Yup, that was it got CWM on it. Thanks!

Should have done it sooner though. >_<

Upvote 0
I can't get into the download mode by holding the power and volume down keys. It's not doing anything and boots normally every time.

That should not have been altered by installing CWM. The bootloader handles power on boot and HW choices. Make sure you are pressing the volume first, then the power. Also, try up+dn and power.

I can't/won't make ROMS for this device, sorry. I am already active with the Photon-Q, will be getting into the LG Optimus G and am considering the Galaxy Victory. Hopefully another will step up to learn on this device.

Upvote 0
That worked! Got CWM working, although I can't flash the new update through CWM, but I think that's due to having a...really messed up stock image. I didn't backup and now I have to wait for somebody to have a stock image that isn't all modified. Hopefully that'll happen soon.

Is there any place where I can start learning how to get jellybean modified for this device? I'm willing to learn.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones