• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Out of the loop. Want a clean 2.3 or 2.2.

Gevis

Android Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2009
Alright. I have a Fascinate rooted with SuperClean 2.9.2 and Voodoo'd. I gave my brother my Eris and he enjoys it, but I'd like to update it for him. It's not even rooted at the moment.

Is there a good guide for rooting and such? I'd like to get a really clean version of 2.3 or 2.2 if need be.

The ROM needs to be stable, my brother is only 15 and not much of a techie. If his phone goes down for the count, he'll be without it for like a week.

Any good guides and ROMS? I've never rooted the Eris before so I'm sort of a newb.

Thanks a lot guys.

IMHO, the best way to root, because it is so well documented, is here: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html

For the best 2.2 or 2.3 ROM, I really think that you should get GSB (here). Just note that, unlike many flashes, it requires the download and flash of a google apps package as well as the ROM. So, you go through all of the steps to flash (Nandroid backup, wipe data, wipe dalvik, flash GSB) and then, before you restart, flash the google apps .zip file.

GSB is very stable, has great performance and battery life, and has no bugs that I know of. The only thing I'd recommend after flashing is to go to settings->CyanogenMod settings->Performance and turn on "lock home in memory."

If you want the absolutely most stable Eris ROM, look at xtrSENSE (which is a 2.1 based Sense ROM, very close to stock, though overclocked and with a feature called cache2cache, which moves third party Dalvik cache out of the area where apps are stored and gives 20 MB or so extra space for use apps.)

Reactions: Gevis
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones