• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Outlook & Yahoo mail apps custom notification tone

Smorkle

Lurker
Jan 23, 2021
First post here and I'm kind of confused. Just bought a new Android 10 phone and am trying to get the app sounds configured the way I want.

I'm having trouble with the Yahoo and Outlook mail apps in Android 10. The apps are sending me to the phone settings to change notification sounds but then the notification settings say "App Provided Sound" and if you try to click that to change the sound it gives a "Android.processes.media keeps stopping" error. It's ONLY these two apps that are causing me a problem. Gmail app (which I detest) seems to be able to reconfigure the sounds perfectly.

I found this other forum where a guy has pictures that describe this problem exactly, but there is no solution or even discussion, although he is complaining about a different app, but with the "App Provided Sound" problem.
https://support.google.com/android/thread/69765663?hl=en

I suspect this issue may stem from a disconnect between the app and the OS. I believe the app thinks the phone is supposed to take care of this and the phone thinks the app is supposed to take care of it. I have searched this and many other forums looking for a work around because I can't hear the app provided sound most of the time.

I have already tried clearing the cache, un-installing and re-installing. adding other email accounts and deleting, and rebooting the phone. I'm just confused and I'd appreciate if anyone has any input that may prove helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Go to apps, outlook, then see screenshot. Hit advanced, sound, then choose your sound. Screenshot_20210123-204350.png

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Go to apps, outlook, then see screenshot. Hit advanced, sound, then choose your sound. View attachment 156104

That's the problem. Every time I go and click on the sound to change it it gives me an "android.process.media keeps stopping" error. It will not let me change the sound. I'm fully aware of where to change it. Go and look at the link I posted in my original post. It has a screen shot of the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's the problem. Every time I go and click on the sound to change it it gives me an "android.process.media keeps stopping" error. It will not let me change the sound. I'm fully aware of where to change it. Goo and look at the link I posted in my original post. It has a screen shot of the problem.
try clearing cache and data for yahoo and outlook and see if that helps. also what phone do you have?

Upvote 0
I also discovered that Google Calendar has the same issue with notification sounds. In fact, all three apps say "App Provided Sound" instead of the name of a sound like all the other apps that make notifications say. In other words, other apps say the exact name of a ringtone where these three apps actually say, verbatim, "App Provided Sound."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones