• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Oxygen VS GingerVillan? (+ other general ROM questions)

williamj1

Android Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2010
UK
So everyone on here seems to use GingerVillan 0.9 / 1. Can anyone tell me what it offers over Oxygen v2.0-RC7 which I presume would be really smooth, with no problems etc seeing as it is stock with few tweaks? I am interested in a gingerbread rom, but not really sure which is best. Everyone seems to use GingerVillan, but can anyone explain why?

Also, does GingerVillan contain all google apps and allow a2sd?

Thanks

-------------------------

Finally, while I have a thread open I wonder if I can ask some other stuff about stock ROMS.

- Is there anyway to get the sense camera onto this ROM, I hate the stock one!
- Is there anyway to get a power bar control thingy in the notification bar. I'm use to Miui or sense with a flashable ZIP add on. Is there anything similar for this?
- Will these work with GV? ([THEME] Themes for CM7 & Oxygen 2.0 - xda-developers) If so and I flash one, how do I then later remove the theme should I wish to?

Finally, is there a free solution to restoring market links on apps restored by mybackup root? Really annoying everytime I flash a new rom losing all my market links and so it doesn't recognise updates!

I really appreciate any help!

I prefer GingerVillain.

I used Oxygen from TEST3 to RC7 before switching to GV 0.9, and now 1.0.

Oxygen is a very small, clean ROM, whereas GV has a lot of Cyanogen extras baked in...

>Also, does GingerVillan contain all google apps and allow a2sd

Yup.

>Is there anyway to get the sense camera onto this ROM, I hate the stock one!

I don't think so, but there are other cameras in the market.

>Is there anyway to get a power bar control thingy in the notification bar. I'm use to Miui or sense with a flashable ZIP add on. Is there anything similar for this?

Oxygen and GV both come with something similar.

>Will these work with GV? ([THEME] Themes for CM7 & Oxygen 2.0 - xda-developers) If so and I flash one, how do I then later remove the theme should I wish to?

Not sure, sorry :/

Reactions: williamj1
Upvote 0
I prefer GingerVillain.

I used Oxygen from TEST3 to RC7 before switching to GV 0.9, and now 1.0.

Oxygen is a very small, clean ROM, whereas GV has a lot of Cyanogen extras baked in...

>Also, does GingerVillan contain all google apps and allow a2sd

Yup.

>Is there anyway to get the sense camera onto this ROM, I hate the stock one!

I don't think so, but there are other cameras in the market.

>Is there anyway to get a power bar control thingy in the notification bar. I'm use to Miui or sense with a flashable ZIP add on. Is there anything similar for this?

Oxygen and GV both come with something similar.

>Will these work with GV? ([THEME] Themes for CM7 & Oxygen 2.0 - xda-developers) If so and I flash one, how do I then later remove the theme should I wish to?

Not sure, sorry :/

Thanks.

1 - You prefer GingerVillan, but in your sig it says you use Oxygen?
2 - Is the "something similar" for the power notification bar included in the ROM file? I don't see any add ons on the xda thread, and the pictures in the GV 1.0 OP show this... with no controls.

attachment.php

Cheers

Upvote 0
Thanks.

1 - You prefer GingerVillan, but in your sig it says you use Oxygen?
2 - Is the "something similar" for the power notification bar included in the ROM file? I don't see any add ons on the xda thread, and the pictures in the GV 1.0 OP show this... with no controls.

attachment.php

Cheers

1) I'm too lazy to update my sig :p
2) In GV, it can be activated in Settings > CyanogenMod settings > Interface > Notification Power Widget. In Oxygen, it can be activated through Oxygen Settings or something...

Upvote 0
Not sure - I use Titanium...

Titanium is great, but that is only available in the paid version. Not going to buy atm, which is why I used mybackup Root. Also, the free version of Titanium Backup insists that I manually click install for each app it restores :mad:

This is possibly the most infuriating thing I have discovered on android yet.
Why on earth can't the market just remember my free apps like it does for paid ones.

Upvote 0
GV 1.0 includes the Theme Chooser app built by T-Mobile and now used in CM7. To use it you simply install themes (they come as .apk's) and select them from the Theme Chooser. There's also an option to go back to your original theme, and to get rid of an installed theme you simply uninstall the apk.

I'm not sure that the theme you linked to is Theme Chooser-compatible, but the ones here are

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones