• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Painless bloatware removal

If the Inc2 is anything like my Inc1, you guys can 86 the bloat by using Titanium in Chuck Norris mode, or Root Explorer, or ADB. Just don't forget to nand backup beforehand in case anything goes south. Congrats on the root guys.

(edit: looks like although this is in the root forum, some were looking for a method without root. Oh well, just passing through lol)

Actually, I started the topic in the general DINC2 area - I guess the mods thought the topic belongs in All Things Root although my intent is to very specifically avoid messing with rooting. :thinking:

This thread was moved to "All Things Root" because there is not, nor will there ever, be a way to edit, delete, or save to /system without either Root or a Manufacturer/Carrier tool. Since this is only able to be done with (some form of) root, this thread was moved to the "All Things Root" section.

Please PM me if you wish to discuss this more.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I've waited this long... :D

I take it there's no buzz about simple bloatware removal?

Maybe before the dev community gets a full root method for ota gingerbread they will get a temp root first, more sooner than later.

Then you could temp root run a bloat freeze (Titanium back up method alternate bloat freeze) then reset, and the eyesores will be vanquished!
Do I know how do this, no, but it maybe be answer to painless bloatware removal, one and done, root remove the trash and go back to normal.

Upvote 0
bloat question -

once you are rooted, i read somewhere (but can't find it) that you should freeze bloatware, rather than uninstalling it with Ti Backup, because you can F*** up your stock rom if you do so.

any truth to that?

I know that may be why folks have created the "incredibly de-bloated" rom - but I am just looking for some clarification. With root comes responsibility, and I don't want to screw up my phone for lack of doing my homework.

Upvote 0
bloat question -

once you are rooted, i read somewhere (but can't find it) that you should freeze bloatware, rather than uninstalling it with Ti Backup, because you can F*** up your stock rom if you do so.

any truth to that?

I know that may be why folks have created the "incredibly de-bloated" rom - but I am just looking for some clarification. With root comes responsibility, and I don't want to screw up my phone for lack of doing my homework.

Do a nand backup as soon as you have root, than uninstall whatever you want ... If you f something up just restore the original backup

Reactions: seejoshplay
Upvote 0
haven't rooted yet...still trying to work up the courage to do so because i definitely can't afford a new device but i do have a noob question since i've never done this before

1) can you do a nand backup before you install superuser essentially creating a stock backup ROM just in case something goes wrong hardware wise? (i know s-off voids warranty but i read somewhere that some techs don't even check for s-off as long as it flashes a stock ROM)

2) can you rename nand backups once you create them so that you know what they are and not just the date and time?

3) has anyone bricked their phone using revolutionary? i know that the devs are awesome and always help people out of jams but i'm just curious if anyone has come up SOL yet...

Upvote 0
1) can you do a nand backup before you install superuser essentially creating a stock backup ROM just in case something goes wrong hardware wise? (i know s-off voids warranty but i read somewhere that some techs don't even check for s-off as long as it flashes a stock ROM)

Yes you can create your stock backup rom ... not sure though if the statement about the techs is true or not

2) can you rename nand backups once you create them so that you know what they are and not just the date and time?

Yes

3) has anyone bricked their phone using revolutionary? i know that the devs are awesome and always help people out of jams but i'm just curious if anyone has come up SOL yet...

Not that I have heard of ... but that doesnt mean it hasnt happened

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones