• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Password Prompt After x Minutes?

Fairlight

Lurker
May 18, 2012
Hello,

Is there anyway to have my LG Optimus V (Android 2.2) to only prompt me for my password after x minutes? As it stands, it will ask each time the screen has timed out or I have explicitly locked it. Rather, I would like it to prompt me only after the screen has been timed out for over 10 minutes. I don't want to have to configure the display to be active for 10 minutes just to accomplish this.

Thanks.

Two thoughts:
For that to happen the phone would have to time how long the screen is off
Why not just persistently store the time of the last password entry and check against that whenever the screen comes on?

and that would prevent deep sleep and drain the battery.
Are you sure? How do alarms work, then?

Upvote 0
Two thoughts:

Why not just persistently store the time of the last password entry and check against that whenever the screen comes on?
That would be an elegant way of handling it, it makes me wonder why they didn't implement something like that. Sadly I haven't seen that option on any rom I've ever run. I'll bet something like MagicLocker might do it, but I haven't ever used it so I couldn't sat for sure.

Are you sure? How do alarms work, then?
They use a partial wakelock on the kernel, but again the lock screen would need to be coded that way, which it currently isn't. It's a great idea for a mod, but my own programming skills are inadequate for the job. Besides, I think root access may be required to pull it off.

To the OP, the simple answer is no. I'm sorry but it just wasn't built with that in mind. There may be methods to make it do so, but may require an investment in time to get setup just right.

Reactions: benslgdroid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones