• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PDA NET And HTC Droid Eris

Another cool thing to do is create your own Mifi with your MAC. I have my Mac tethered to my Eris via PDA Net, and I also have internet sharing on in my Mac which creates a separate wireless network that is transmitted through my Airport. So I am sitting in my car surfing the web on my iPod Touch that is connected to my Mac's wireless network via the tethered Eris.

Upvote 0
I really like the Eris with this app. I never could get the tethering to work correctly on the Omnia, on the Eris (after I fixed the driver issue in Win7) it just WORKED. I'm really liking this aspect of the Android system. The things just WORK! I have Road Runner Turbo at home, so unless I don't pay the bill (as happens occasionally) I don't need PDANet often. But I like knowing it is there when I need it, and it works. I also can use it when I go to the beach to watch shuttle launches. The last night launch on the orignal date I was following the feed online before I left the house, and it was all a go, except for some clouds. I waited until the last minute and went out to the beach and took my laptop hoping to leach off one of the hotels, but it was no good, and the Omnia wouldn't load the webpage I was using. I could have used a working tether! They scrubbed the launch at the 5 minute mark, so I was out in the cold waiting for it at something like 1am. Eh, rambling, lack of sleep does that, but anyway it's a handy little feature to have, and even better when it actually works. I'm an android convert!

Upvote 0
Wondering if anyone can help me here. I had PDANet installed and running on my Eris when I had Android 1.5. I decided to install the 2.1 v3 leak, rooted, few weeks back but hadn't bothered with PDANet til today. Now when I try to reinstall it i get this error when it gets to the part where it installs PDANet to the phone: "Win USB Device could not be opened." I have debugging enabled too. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Any word on whether or not I'm going to get slammed with some nasty charges if I tether? Doubt I'll use much data at all, wont do it if Vz is going to double my data plan costs for doing it.

If your not going to be using it heavily, I wouldn't worry about it. You should only be worried if you start using 5+ GB a month, because it may set off a flag in their system and investigate it.

Upvote 0
I saw this on another post...
Dial ##778.
Edit Mode.
000000 (six zeroes).
M.IP Default Profile.
DUN NAI.
Change it from YOURNUMBER@dun.vzw3g.com
to YOURNUMBER@vzw3g.com -- In other words, you're deleting the text "dun."
OK.
Menu >
Commit Modifications.

Your phone will reboot. From now on (potentially until/if you ever flash another PB00IMG.zip that you'd normally have to *228 for), you will channel all your tethering through vzw3g.com instead of dun.vzw3g.com.

does anyone know the validity to this?

Upvote 0
I'm just not all about another 30 bucks a month for the tethering option... I don't use the internet enough to justify it but it WOULD be nice to be able to get on if I've got my laptop home. Not 30 dollars nice, but nice none-the-less.

Like I said, you won't get charged unless you start using a ton of bandwidth. They can tell, but they won't care unless you start hogging bandwidth.

Upvote 0
I saw this on another post...

Dial ##778.
Edit Mode.
000000 (six zeroes).
M.IP Default Profile.
DUN NAI.
Change it from YOURNUMBER@dun.vzw3g.com
to YOURNUMBER@vzw3g.com -- In other words, you're deleting the text "dun."
OK.
Menu >
Commit Modifications.

Your phone will reboot. From now on (potentially until/if you ever flash another PB00IMG.zip that you'd normally have to *228 for), you will channel all your tethering through vzw3g.com instead of dun.vzw3g.com.

does anyone know the validity to this?

Yes, this is valid - but not needed for PDANet USB. If you want to use PDANet Bluetooth - you will indeed need to set this. This information is now years old. The basic string change is the same method I used for tethering to a dumb phone years ago (LG VX8300)

Once these changes are done you will need to set up a dial up networking profile to connect your bluetooth modem to your ISP - Verizon.
Dial-up Phone Number = #777
Username: 123-123-1234@vzw3.com (Put in your phone number)
Password: vzw

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones