• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC 10 stuck in bootloop.. even with bootloader

Sorry all, I apparently stopped getting email updates about the thread.

I'll try the volume up again from a fully off state, I don't have high hopes.

We thought her phone was saving to the AD card but apparently after the Android 7 update it moved back to internal memory. Haven't had a chance today yet to call HTC USA.

Upvote 0
so i had this exact same problem. i mean exactly the samee. mine is a unlocked htc 10. What i did is.... drained the battery completely i mean like till the point where there was nothing displayed on the screen when the power button was pressed. I drained the battery by keeping the phone on the menu where the boot menu is displayed with all the options as the white screen with options helped the drain the battery fast enough. I think anyone who has this problem should do the same as this might have been why i was able to revive. After i drained the battery I kept the phone untouched for two days. I tried to switch on the phone after two days to make sure the battery is completely drained. Nothing displayed on the screen indicating full drain of the battery. Now i charged my phone for four hours to make sure it was 100% charged. Now I tried switching on the phone and viola the HTC logo popped up and it went straight in. I dunno, if it is mere luck or draining the battery completely, helped my phone. But it worked. I have not restarted the phone yet as am taking back up of the files. I will post once I restart and let you guys know what happened.

Reactions: manilafortuna
Upvote 0
so i had this exact same problem. i mean exactly the samee. mine is a unlocked htc 10. What i did is.... drained the battery completely i mean like till the point where there was nothing displayed on the screen when the power button was pressed. I drained the battery by keeping the phone on the menu where the boot menu is displayed with all the options as the white screen with options helped the drain the battery fast enough. I think anyone who has this problem should do the same as this might have been why i was able to revive. After i drained the battery I kept the phone untouched for two days. I tried to switch on the phone after two days to make sure the battery is completely drained. Nothing displayed on the screen indicating full drain of the battery. Now i charged my phone for four hours to make sure it was 100% charged. Now I tried switching on the phone and viola the HTC logo popped up and it went straight in. I dunno, if it is mere luck or draining the battery completely, helped my phone. But it worked. I have not restarted the phone yet as am taking back up of the files. I will post once I restart and let you guys know what happened.

Didn't work. The phone was at 0%, but as soon as I plugged it in it began boot looping.

Sigh..

*edit*
I needed to read your post more carefully. I will try this method and report back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yeah try once more till it doesn't even say 0%, drain the battery completely. Nothing should be displayed on the screen when you hit the power button. Wait for two days after this and charge your phone for four hours with your fast charger or more if it is a normal charger. Then restart and let me know what happens.

Upvote 0
Same Problem here ... HTC10 in Bootloop while starting ! I think it's a Software problem...

My Charger Socket was Dead ! I gave my phone to repair for replace charger socket... it has been Replaced, and I said, Let's replace Battery also...

He said . ok

After that, He called me , and told me that .. my phone is in bootloop! he do'nt know why...

He knows about hardware problem, and He do not know HTC10 well...

Any Suggection?

Upvote 0
So the phone repairer has it bootlooping? Obviously we can't be sure of reason, but it's very possibly something he's done (even if he doesn't know what). I'm not very impressed by someone offering to repair a phone they aren't familiar with.

If it is software then the first thing to try is going into recovery and wiping the cache. The second is to factory reset (again from recovery). If that doesn't work you'll need to reflash the phone, which means you need to tell us enough about its origin & current software that maybe we'll be able to find the software you need. If the repairer knows anything about android he will know how to use fastboot, in which case the command "fastboot getvar all" will provide the information needed (especially the cidnum).

This assumes that the phone will be able to boot into the bootloader/get into download mode or recovery mode. If it isn't stable in recovery or bootloader then you are stuck, but in that case it's not a software problem (or if it is it's a very fundamental one, and probably caused by damage anyway).

Upvote 0
So the phone repairer has it bootlooping? Obviously we can't be sure of reason, but it's very possibly something he's done (even if he doesn't know what). I'm not very impressed by someone offering to repair a phone they aren't familiar with.

If it is software then the first thing to try is going into recovery and wiping the cache. The second is to factory reset (again from recovery). If that doesn't work you'll need to reflash the phone, which means you need to tell us enough about its origin & current software that maybe we'll be able to find the software you need. If the repairer knows anything about android he will know how to use fastboot, in which case the command "fastboot getvar all" will provide the information needed (especially the cidnum).

This assumes that the phone will be able to boot into the bootloader/get into download mode or recovery mode. If it isn't stable in recovery or bootloader then you are stuck, but in that case it's not a software problem (or if it is it's a very fundamental one, and probably caused by damage anyway).

Hello Hadron, Thanks For Quick Answer...

Yes , My Phone is out of Warranty , and I broke my Charger port... I find Charger port in somwhere internet and I buyed... My Phone is PA64 (Which is Closing When Opening Camera when battery around %30 ) because of That, I also Buyed new Battary in internet and I Gave My phone to REPAIRER...

He Changed Charger Port and he called me , he said Telephone is Normally Charging, but it's in Bootloop when starting... He said that ; maybe need to factory reset ( because when make replacement mini board ) need a Factory Reset... I do not know yet , my phone Reaching to Bootlooder menu or download menu... I will look tomorrow and I will edit here...

Upvote 0
So the phone repairer has it bootlooping? Obviously we can't be sure of reason, but it's very possibly something he's done
(even if he doesn't know what). I'm not very impressed by someone offering to repair a phone they aren't familiar with.

Hard Brick?
I did ask Repairer and he said it is MAYBE hard bricked. Now the phone does nothing, no power, no response from any combination of button presses, the computer does not see it. I don't know of anything else that might work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "PA64".

If the phone was previously bootlooping but is not unresponsive the most obvious thought is that it's run the battery down. What happens if you try to charge it? Do you get any indication that it is charging? Since the repairer supposedly fixed the charging port you would expect that at least to work. If it isn't responding initially, leave it on charge for a while - if the charge level gets very low it sometimes needs a while before it shows any response.

The truth is that you need to get it to power on in order to do anything more, other than return it to the repairer (or find one who actually knows what he's doing). You cannot fix a software problem, if it is a software problem, unless you can at least get into the bootloader.

Upvote 0

If the phone was previously bootlooping but is not unresponsive the most obvious thought is that it's run the battery down. What happens if you try to charge it? Do you get any indication that it is charging? Since the repairer supposedly fixed the charging port you would expect that at least to work. If it isn't responding initially, leave it on charge for a while - if the charge level gets very low it sometimes needs a while before it shows any response.

The truth is that you need to get it to power on in order to do anything more, other than return it to the repairer (or find one who actually knows what he's doing). You cannot fix a software problem, if it is a software problem, unless you can at least get into the bootloader.

Question 1) Can you get into fastboot? Power and then quickly volume down.
answer : Nope, won't enter recovery. Doesn't respond to vol down + power?

Phone is also exhibiting weird behavior... it attempts to automatically turn on periodically, but gets to the HTC powered by android screen, then shuts off.

Question 2) When you plug it into the computer does the computer make a ding sound that it's connected? If so, then press power and volume up until the disconnect ding sound which indicates it's rebooting and then immediately press volume down and see if you can get into fastboot. The timing is tricky so I've found using audio cues from computer can help if the phone is messed up.

answer :No LED comes on when I'm charging. If I press vol up and Power my phone turns on, shows the HTC boot screen, then turns off.

When I put Charger not Red LED...

Upvote 0

My Repairer said, He Triyed get into Bootlooder menu with NEW Battery ! He said shows the HTC boot screen, then turns off. immedialty ! Again Again untill battery down...

I do not know What Should do, MAybe it Need JTAG?

Upvote 0
My semi-solution for boot-loop - works every time:
I have an HTC 10 stuck in boot loop anytime I let battery die - works fine otherwise. Spent lots of time with VZW, tried everything I could find. This does not fix but at least gets me a fully charged phone - not in boot loop and back up and running.
1. Plug in the phone (boot loop starts - every minute or so)
2. Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down (Not VolDown + Power like supposed to). This brings up the menu.
3. Don't touch it for like 4 hours - it basically has to sit on the boot menu screen.

I've tried variations - select "power down" or anything else = boot loop. Once it hits about 85% (no way to know when) - it will happily reboot / power down / menus /etc..

When my phone dies I can't use it at all until I get to 100% - really annoying but this at least gets me back to running - punishes me for letting it ever get to 0%!

Upvote 0
No, it didn't. Tried multiple times. As soon as the phone gets enough charge it starts again.
I'm hoping you end up finding a solution because I just encountered this as well.
It started with a "slow charge" notification in my car charger, which it had never done it before. I then unplugged and replugged in. I think I plugged too hard because I had thought I didn't get it plugged in the first time.
That night, I got slow charge notifications on the stock factory charger. Eventually I got a "charging stopped due to incompatible device" notification. The next morning, the back button and task button wasn't working so I restarted the phone. Afterwards it was bootloop. HTC wanted 250 to repair it but they were going to wipe it so I took it to a local shop. Still waiting for some good news.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping you end up finding a solution because I just encountered this as well.
It started with a "slow charge" notification in my car charger, which it had never done it before. I then unplugged and replugged in. I think I plugged too hard because I had thought I didn't get it plugged in the first time.
That night, I got slow charge notifications on the stock factory charger. Eventually I got a "charging stopped due to incompatible device" notification. The next morning, the back button and task button wasn't working so I restarted the phone. Afterwards it was bootloop. HTC wanted 250 to repair it but they were going to wipe it so I took it to a local shop. Still waiting for some good news.

I gave up, the phone is sitting somewhere in my house and my wife moved on to a S8. Annoying because we had pictures from our wedding on her phone.. but oh well.

I have never ever had a phone not work from the bootloader menu in my life. It' disappointing..

Upvote 0
I gave up, the phone is sitting somewhere in my house and my wife moved on to a S8. Annoying because we had pictures from our wedding on her phone.. but oh well.

I have never ever had a phone not work from the bootloader menu in my life. It' disappointing..
I lost about a year's worth of photos myself, including 13 years of contacts, which I THOUGHT I had backed up. Turns out I was sadly mistaken.

Upvote 0
Mine did the same HTC 10, charge issues, slow charge then incompatible charger message 2 days ago. Rebooted once but home and back keys weren't functional. Have tried everything HTC have uselessly suggested without success just a boot loop of horror. Going to run it flat and recharge after a day or so and see if it helps. Can't get past white menu screen where only a few of the options appear to work. Not ideal I have a very important call on monday!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones