• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone goes into boot loop daily, can't find a solution.

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I have an absolutely infuriating problem with my S5 that I can't seem to fix. The phone will randomly freeze up, shut off, and reboot. Sometimes it will do it once and other times it will go into a boot loop until I remove the battery, which is the only way I can get it to stop. Sometimes I'll even power it off only for it to restart itself automatically. It also tends to get very hot very quickly when it goes into boot loop. Right now it's at the point where it does this so often that the phone is pretty much useless. I would really really appreciate any insight you guys can give. Here is everything I've done so far and any other useful information:

- My carrier is Verizon and the model is SM-G900V, and I'm in the U.S.
- My phone is not rooted and everything is up to date.
- There are currently no third party apps on my phone.
- This may be related to the Lollipop update, as it didn't develop this problem until after that.
- The first thing I did was take it to Best Buy (I got my phone there), and a Samsung associate directed me to download a new software update. I downloaded it and the problem immediately returned.
- I tried a factory reset, which took hours to do because the phone went into boot loop over and over during the process. After completing this, the problem came back 1-2 days later.
- I wiped the cache partition but the problem immediately returned.
- I tried launching the phone in Safe Mode a number of times, but it still freezes and reboots immediately.
- I was directed to download Verizon's Software Upgrade Assistant/Repair Assistant application on my PC. It automatically downloaded some sort of update and my phone was good for two days. However, I am unable to use the Assistant because it doesn't detect my phone, even though my PC sees it. It will read something to the effect of "Please connect your device. If your device is already connected, disconnect and reconnect it." However, upon doing this, or any time I connect the phone with the Assistant running, the Assistant throws up a small window that says "Your device's current firmware version is unsupported to update firmware." I don't know what this means or if there's anything I can do about it.
- The Software/Repair assistant won't even open at all if the phone is not booted. Sometimes the phone will be in boot loop until it fails to start, at which the screen directs me to use the Repair Assistant on my computer, which is useless, because the software won't even run unless the phone is booted up and running, but the software doesn't detect it when the phone is booted up anyway.

I'm pretty sure that's everything I've done. Everything I've done above is everything I've been able to find so far on the Web. Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums The Space Ace! :)

Sorry to learn you are having problems with your G900V model on Verizon firmware.

You seem to have done most of the things that I would recommend under the circumstances. However, there is one thing that you can try that, hopefully, will get you up and running, unless yours is a hardware problem.

1. Download to your PC the latest Verizon firmware, the unrootable, OE1. I assume this is the one that you upgraded to...

Model SM-G900V
Model name GALAXY S5
Country USA (Verizon)
Version Android 5.0
Changelist 4782027
Build date Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:32:13 +0000
Product code VZW
PDA G900VVRU2BOE1
CSC G900VVZW2BOE1

2. Do a Full Wipe and a Factory Data Reset. See #2.3 and #2.4 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. Both Full Wipe and FDR are important!

3. Flash the downloaded firmware to your phone using Odin and by carefully and thoroughly reading the links and watching the video contained in #1.11 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. Remove any external SD card prior to flashing.

4. As per #2.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide...

"IMPORTANT You should take the time to check out your phone prior to re-installing your app's to ensure that you are not experiencing any problems with the firmware itself."

If you experience problems at this stage then it is likely to be a warranty issue. If not, then you can insert your SD card and set about installing apps, data, etc; to your phone. If you get any issues at this stage it is likely to be user apps and settings or SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones