• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone in reboot loop/stuck in bootloader screen

All phones from all manufacturers can have random hardware failures, so I certainly can't rule that out. But this RUU failure looks like a software problem to me - something in the phone is objecting to the zip information (the RUU contains and tried to flash a .zip file) rather than the partition flashing failing (which would be a more typical symptom of a hardware failure).

The simplest thing you could try is a different RUU from that site. The next-newest would be RUU_M7_UL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3_Radio_4A.19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_signed_2.exe - if you really were on 4.2 that should still work, though if you got an update 6 months ago I'd have thought you'd be on 4.4 already. If you can tell us the information on that white screen (hboot or fastboot screen) that should tell us what RUUs might work.

I assume that the phone does say "S-On" at the top of that white screen? If it says "S-Off" we have many more options, but you haven't made any mods so it's very unlikely to be like that (usually a few sneak out into the wild S-Off, but they are supposed to be S-On, i.e. security enabled, when sold).

If the above file also doesn't work, you could try the "MR_Cingular_US_7.23.502.1 (m7_ul edition)" RUU.zip from this XDA thread. The thread also has instructions for how to use these things - it's basically a manual way of doing what the RUU does. This is Android 5, so will be newer than what you currently have if you had your last update 6 months ago (I'm assuming here that you didn't have the options to automatically download and install updates enabled - if you did then a failed update could perhaps have been the start of this, but even in that case this one should be new enough to work).

As an extra, I'm going to tag @scotty85 in case he has any other ideas.

Upvote 0
Wow - I finally took a closer look at the top of the HBOOT screen:

M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.57.0000
RADIO-4M.27.3218.14
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-5.12.502.2
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Apr 22 2014,01:10:58.0

Does this mean I am on Android 5.2??? I don't know how that happened. Maybe I do have auto-update on, but I don't remember doing that. Given this is the case, is there a different RUU that you suggest?

Thanks so much for the help.

Upvote 0
Incredible... I downloaded and flashed the second RUU (lollipop - Sense 6.0). It completed successfully!

However, the phone is still in the flash screen with a green progress bar that isn't quite to the end. Is this normal? Should I just wait or should I disconnect it from the computer and reboot it?

Upvote 0
Never mind that last question - I missed the last instruction step - run "fastboot reboot-bootloader".

Did that and selected reboot from the Fastboot screen.

Phone booted (whew!), went through first splash screen, then to AT&T logo screen, then to HTC One - beats audio screen. Then it began the upgrade("Android is upgrading..."). This last step took a long time, but when it finished, the phone went into first-time setup mode.

It worked! Thanks so much. I was just about to throw the phone away. Literally.

Upvote 0
Hello,

The thing is i'v HTC one m7 had to use guru to get my phone to stock cause i lost my rom. Everything went to normal and great but old version so i found ota update in settings first 2 went great then 3rd one finished or something i didnt see any messeges it just went off then on again and looping till i saw a post that you can click power and vol up to see the issue when the red traingle appears. It says Mount SDCARD FAILED 1 TIMES ,Mount SDCARD FAILED 2 TIMES , Mount SDCARD FAILED 3 TIMES ,Mount SDCARD FAILED 4 TIMES , Mount SDCARD FAILED 5 TIMES can not mount SD Card (no such file or directory)
disable host mode : 0 . I have no clue what to do now please help!. thank you

Upvote 0
Hi, I lived in Qatar and had this Htc One M8 from Verizon, its all working fine but after unsuccessful ugrade from Htc sync manager, the phone keeps rebooting and rebooting. I already did the wipe cache, wipe data, and whenever I try to reboot, again keeps rebooting on Htc logo. I try recovery but still It won't help and also when I do factory reset it says "updating Htc Verizon "something like that. But again rebooting again.

The phone is locked and unrooted.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
HTC One M7 stuck at Android recovery

Did a factory reset for no reason and my phone died while it was resetting. Ever since it's been stuck at the android recovery, Factory reset isn't
working, gives me the error : Failed to mount data, pretty much tried everything, with no luck, uploaded a video of me trying so you can see
what's hapenning, anyone know how to help me, i'm almost giving up on it.
Short video of me troubleshooting :

P.s - The phone had no problems prior to the needless reset, the phone wasn't rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones