• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone Refuses to Save "Home Button" Default Action

DGalt

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
Apparently rooting and using custom ROMs hasn't solved this issue. Before I rooted my phone I was having the issue that, despite checking the "Use by default for this action" box, my phone just plain refused to save what homescreen app to go to when I tap the "Home" button.

I've tried clearing the cache. I've done factory resets and data wipes (although I did restore "all apps with data" with Titanium Backup). I've tried using the Home Switcher app. Nothing works

Right now my phone is running the current version of BB, ChevyNo1's 1.0Ghz 5 slot update.zip for OC, and am using AdamZ's Smoked glass theme. I want to use the "HelixLauncher" app as my default homescreen, but it's rather obnoxious having to constantly select it when I hit the home button (it'll save my default action for a few clicks, and then I'll have to set it again).

any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is the titanium backup. I mean if your going to go the Helix Route your going to have to set up your screens again.... I would reflash w/ full wipe and format... clean. download Helix first and set it as your default and see if it stick.... if it does... Re-download all the apps, don't Titanium Restore, ... unless you have to.

Once you verify that Helix is working, because you installed and set that first, it should stay that way... but if for some reason it stops you know it was something in the restore you did...

If for some reason it fails... you can always return to your old ROM that you nandroided before you tried this fix.

Not sure this helps... but it's a tricky problem..

Upvote 0
as far as I can tell it's beautiful widgets. I have no idea why, and it may just have decided to calm down for now in which case I'll do what you suggest Droid, but yeah...

phantoms in the machines lol (anyone guess what movie?)

Edit: Even if it does have something to do with old data...why would this happen in the first place? This started happening long before I rooted my phone (was one of the things that inspired me to root, so that I no longer had to use a homescreen replacement, thereby avoiding the issue all together)

Upvote 0
Well a new chapter in this annoying tale.

Know how if you hold down the "Home" button, a little window pops up of your 6 most current programs? Well, every time I do that (pull up that little window), the next time I use the "Home" button the "choose which action" prompt pops up.

Sigh. Looks like it's time to wipe and reinstall everything. :(

Upvote 0
Well I may have figured this one out. Apparently the app "Family Guy Puzzle" is the culprit.

I've been reinstalling apps 4 at a time and then checking to see if the issue arose again. After installing Facebook, Family Guy Puzzle, Gmail Notifier, and Google Goggles the issues was back. Uninstalled all 4, reinstalled one at a time. Revealed that it was Family Guy Puzzle. Not believing that that could really be it, I tried it several times.

So there's one app I won't be reinstalling...let's see if there are more.

I really am kind of curious what is in the dev's code that's doing this though lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones