• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone thinks I'm in another state...

Ok weird issue that I've never had before with any other phone. But since I got this Note 10, when I'm listening to Spotify for one example, I'm always getting ads from the Philadelphia area...and I live in Cincinnati lol. Other apps will have that same issue. Just a weird thing. When using Google Maps, never an issue finding me, and getting to where I need to be.

Are you using a VPN or proxy?
I don't use Spotify, however I've often seen ads targeted for California, and I'm not even in the US.

Maybe check your IP address location?

I'm actually in Jinan, China.
IP.jpg

Upvote 0
You could try going to the site in Mike's screenshot and seeing what it says.

Do you have a non-root adblocker? Those apps are based on VPNs (they route your internet connection via a server that blocks known ad domains), so could mess with IP address based location (and they don't block all ads, which is why I'm still considering this as a possible despite your original post ;)).

For that matter, a location based on your IP address may not be very close to you anyway even without a VPN: it will depend on where your provider registered the address they've assigned you rather than where you physically are. I have often seen sites locate me a hundred miles or more from where I really am when relying on the IP address. Do you grant Spotify location permissions? If you don't (and I cannot think of a reason anyone would) then all they'll have is the IP address, which will tell them more about how Metro/T-Mobile administer these things than where you physically are.

Upvote 0
It's quite common and just depends on how the provider is routing its traffic around it's own network before heading out to the big wide world. It usually does this to manage load.

It always amused me when my previous AVs on my PC would nag me to upgrade to pro because people knew my location was <nowhere near where I actually am>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones