• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Phone Unlock Code" Screen Missing

rosengard

Lurker
Nov 24, 2012
Hi,

I just bought a locked Motorola Atrix HD on eBay. I purchased a micro sim card from ST hoping to be able to get it to work. Currently have service on ST with old phone.

I inserted the new ST sim and powered up the phone, expecting to get to an "unlock code" screen. Knew phone was locked and was planning on buying an unlocked code but tried it anyway to see what would happen when I powered up the phone. To my surprise, I powered up the phone all the way to the home screen with no problem. I was able to make calls and receive text once I got the sim card activated. I cannot get he internet and mms to work despite entering the included ST settings I received with my purchase. I tried several times and have been ont he phone with ST for days to no avail.

Question:

How come I can access phone/text on a locked phone with an AT&T compatible sim card from Straight Talk? I thought the phone has to be unlocked for that to happen.

What if I purchase an unlocked code how do I get to the "unlock code" screen in order to type in the unlock code I get?

Is this not working becuase the sim card I have is an AT&T compatible sim on Straight Talk and the phone is recognizing it as not being a "foreign" card? If so, why is it that phone/text is working and not internet/mms? I am able to insert and save APN settings so why isn't it working?

Do I have to order a T-mobile micro sim straight from T-Mobile for me to get the "unlock code" screen? Is that the solution?

I appreciate any help I can get with this matter.

/rosengard

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones